HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Use of federal lands & federal funding, I would think.
The NCC didn't provide the funding, and have actually been nothing but an obstruction to every transit project in the history of Ottawa.

So shaggem.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 10:05 PM

Might the new Tunney's Pasture station encroach on federal lands there?

At the very least, Tunney's Pasture's Federal employees are the ones the City is counting on to increase the benefit to cost ratio of the confederation line.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The NCC didn't provide the funding, and have actually been nothing but an obstruction to every transit project in the history of Ottawa.

So shaggem.
No contest. Wasn't answering the question "Why is the NCC AWESOME?" but rather, the question: "Why does the NCC have a say or think it has a say in this?"

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:30 PM

Quick question; when they performed the archeological dig at LeBreton Flats prior to the Confederation Line construction start, did they find any aboriginal artifacts?

Last edited by J.OT13; Aug 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Quick question; when preformed the archeological dig at LeBreton Flats prior to the Confederation Line construction start, did they find any aboriginal artifacts?
Also, did they find any fossilized eels (or 'Pimisi' as I like to call them)?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Quick question; when preformed the archeological dig at LeBreton Flats prior to the Confederation Line construction start, did they find any aboriginal artifacts?
I don't recall any of that - just relics of 19th century industrialism and home life.

There was a circa-1800 cavalry sword found, I believe, which would likely be a relic of the very first visits of British low-level officials, who were accompanied by a troupe of soldiers. The first road in the area, Richmond Road, carried (at first) mainly UK soldiers to the military encampment of Richmond.

The boat landing was on an inlet on the Flats.

Anyway... swords. Neat.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have often read that the relics of aboriginal presence in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are very rare and that little has been found. Apparently this suggests that this area was more an area that aboriginals passed through on occasion as opposed to settling it even in a seasonal or temporary way.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:12 PM
Closed account

I seem to recall that originally there was a large swath stretching from around Dow's Lake to the Ottawa River that was low-lying and somewhat swampy. It probably wasn't prime real estate for aboriginals to spend much time at. I would have expected there to be some sort of settlement elsewhere in the area though, what with the confluence of the three rivers.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 9:17 PM

I *ain't* no cultural historian, but...

The Victoria Island/Chaudiere Falls area was certainly a spiritual and well-trod place from what I hear, but I think more in the 'annual convention' sense of the word.

The area was definitely a prominent marker/ portage point for both FN, explorers and fur traders before permanent settlement. But, was there not quite a bit of warring going on in Ontario between prominent tribes? That would keep the bulk of FN populations away from prominent transportation routes like this, simply for safety and concealment.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have often read that the relics of aboriginal presence in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are very rare and that little has been found. Apparently this suggests that this area was more an area that aboriginals passed through on occasion as opposed to settling it even in a seasonal or temporary way.
It's more the reality that in a long-established urban area like Ottawa, pre-contact aboriginal sites have long since been obliterated by subsequent disruptions to the non-sterile soil layers.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:46 AM

They found a whole bunch of artifacts when digging for the Richardson Ride development in Kanata. I believe they felt it may have been an ancient quarry. Really delayed development.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:07 PM
Busy Beaver

So I guess the big mess on Queen Street is the start of things to come? I went out there for the first time in a couple of months and it seems like they are getting ready to move some of the services around to facilitate the excavation, especially west of Bank.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:13 PM

I think a vertical tunnel will be dug/bored near Kent and Queen. Looks like it is starting.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
It's more the reality that in a long-established urban area like Ottawa, pre-contact aboriginal sites have long since been obliterated by subsequent disruptions to the non-sterile soil layers.
More than, say, Rome? (Not trying to be an ass - just asking a question.)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I think a vertical tunnel will be dug/bored near Kent and Queen. Looks like it is starting.
As far as I know, this is just to replace 130+ year old pipes. If I'm not mistaken, the shaft will be dug in the Place de Ville parking lot next summer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:10 PM

I guess I and CBC were wrong; CTV just reported that the City will now be taking over half of the PdV surface parking lot for the subway project.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I guess I and CBC were wrong; CTV just reported that the City will now be taking over half of the PdV surface parking lot for the subway project.
Construction on central shaft likely to start next week. Prep work now underway.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:15 PM

Sweet! I can't wait!! This is the first time in the city's history when the municipal government builds visionary project.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
More than, say, Rome? (Not trying to be an ass - just asking a question.)
In an ancient old-world site like Rome, past cultural layers tended to just get laid down on top of one another, and were more robust to begin with (stone or concrete construction). In Athens or London, underground transit construction has been slowed down by the fact that even that many metres above the current surface level, you are still embedded in cultural material that's been built on top of, over and over again, over thousands of years.

Pre-contact sites in North America, especially in boreal or near-boreal areas like Ottawa, tend to be very superficial and sparse - campsites, small villages, seasonal occupations, etc. A single pass of a plough or a bulldozer can often disturb the entire cultural layer in the soil and obliterate all of the cultural information, other than a few robust and easily-identified artefacts. So, while adzes, arrowheads, pottery, etc., might be recognized in the disturbed soil, other material - chips, charred material, etc. - is going to just look like that much more dirt.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Last edited by rocketphish; Aug 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: deleted

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation