HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It is not a racial issue. The likelihood of rejection reflects the likelihood of overstaying the visa, not the applicant’s race/ethnicity.
Bullshit. The numbers speak for themselves. Chinese and Indians never over stay their visas.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Bullshit. The numbers speak for themselves. Chinese and Indians never over stay their visas.
Source?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Source?

Where's your source Africans are more likely to over stay their visas than Chinese and Indians?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
There are educated people in Africa. It is a fallacy to think of all Asians as superior geniuses and everyone else as uneducated brutes. This is something we hear all the time. Thanks for confirming what I said in previous posts.
Yes, of course there are well-educated Africans, and not all Asians are super educated geniuses. However educational attainment is still generally higher in Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ion_attainment

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If you asked or polled people in Quebec, you'd actually find a pretty clear preference for and affinities with sub-Saharan African immigrants as opposed to those from South or East Asia.

This is not to say that the latter two groups are disliked (they're generally viewed as hard-working and educated), but Africans are generally regarded as more easily integratable and eager to go down that road.

Rightly or wrongly, South and East Asians are seen as keeping more to themselves, and often as "just passing through" with one eye always trained on a potential move down the 401 to Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Yes, of course there are well-educated Africans, and not all Asians are super educated geniuses. However educational attainment is still generally higher in Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ion_attainment
I saw several African and Latin American countries above India on there. I am willing to bet Canada lets in more Indians than African and Latin Americans combined.

I don't see Koreans and Japanese pouring into Canada.

Last edited by Luisito; Jan 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
I saw several African and Latin American countries above India on there. I am willing to bet Canada lets in more Indians than African and Latin Americans combined.

Hard to tell, immigration data is not easily aggregated. Although both China and India are more populous than Africa or Latin America, so that would be expected even if factors like educational attainment were evenly distributed by country, which it isn’t.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Sometimes it feels like only people from India are fit to come here. I go to the supermarket and all the casheres are Indian. I take a bus or a cab and the drivers are indian. I go to the corner store, it is run by Indians. The pharmacy, indians. I order a pizza the delivery guy is Indian. Any fast food joint, I am served by Indians. I call my bank or the government and an Indian answers the phone. I go to the cannabis shop the guard at the door is indian. Even last time I came through costums it was an Indian guy checking my passport!!! Like seriously wtf?????

If Canada values mutliculutralism so much, why such lopsided policies in favour of a few groups? Shouldn't we mix it up a bit more??
I always get a bit of a chuckle at those Tim Hortons commercials that show smiling white folks slinging donuts. I can't recall the last time I saw a Caucasian working at Timmie Ho's. They're largely South Asian or Filipino.

Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder that with our vaunted points-based immigration system why this is the kind of job they seem to end up in? What kind of skills is the government testing for: drive-thru window operator? Or are they largely Temporary Foreign Workers? In which case the government is just suppressing wages by allowing it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Hard to tell, immigration data is not easily aggregated. Although both China and India are more populous than Africa or Latin America, so that would be expected even if factors like educational attainment were evenly distributed by country, which it isn’t.
Not really. Your own link showed some Latin American and African countries have higher educational attainment than India. Africa and Latin America together make a huge population. Your arguement doesn't stand up.

If what you were saying is the reason for such a high Indian population, then why don't we see the same thing in all developed western countries?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I always get a bit of a chuckle at those Tim Hortons commercials that show smiling white folks slinging donuts. I can't recall the last time I saw a Caucasian working at Timmie Ho's. They're largely South Asian or Filipino.

Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder that with our vaunted points-based immigration system why this is the kind of job they seem to end up in? What kind of skills is the government testing for: drive-thru window operator? Or are they largely Temporary Foreign Workers? In which case the government is just suppressing wages by allowing it.
Very good point.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:

Your opinions on this are childishly simple and misinformed.

There isn't much desire for Japanese or Koreans to move to Canada, given that quality of life there is generally on par or superior to what we have here. Similarly, immigration from both India and China is slowing as the desire to relocate here diminishes, but we have large enough diasporas here that I think we'll always see a healthy number of people requesting to move here.

Africans and Latin Americans are actually increasing their immigration rate, as are Phillipinos who are actually our number one source of immigration right now.

You'd also lose that bet by a long shot. Canada takes in about 20% more immigrants from Africa and 17% more from South/Central America and the Caribbean than it does from India in raw numbers alone. When you factor in that India has a larger population, those numbers are even more stacked in Africa or Latin America's favour. On a per capita basis, we actually take in about 30% more Africans and 200% more Central/South/Carribbean Americans than Indians.

The reason we have so many Indian and Chinese immigrants is simply because those are two largest countries in the world. There is no favouritism.

Last edited by theman23; Jan 15, 2020 at 7:57 PM. Reason: fixed the math

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:23 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you asked or polled people in Quebec, you'd actually find a pretty clear preference for and affinities with sub-Saharan African immigrants as opposed to those from South or East Asia.

This is not to say that the latter two groups are disliked (they're generally viewed as hard-working and educated), but Africans are generally regarded as more easily integratable and eager to go down that road.

Rightly or wrongly, South and East Asians are seen as keeping more to themselves, and often as "just passing through" with one eye always trained on a potential move down the 401 to Toronto.
Or just French-speaking countries in general. It's a lot easier to integrate.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Your opinions on this are childishly simple and misinformed.

There isn't much desire for Japanese or Koreans to move to Canada, given that quality of life there is generally on par or superior to what we have here.
I know that. I was responding to the link that was posted where It had Koreans and Japanese at the top of educational attainment. That was my point.

Quote:
Africans and Latin Americans are actually increasing their immigration rate, as are Phillipinos who are actually our number one source of immigration right now.
Filipinos are Asian, lol. Latin American and African numbers are ver low compared to Filipinos, Indians and Chinese. You just proved my point.

Quote:
You'd also lose that bet by a long shot. Canada takes in about 20% more immigrants from Africa and 17% more from South/Central America and the Caribbean than it does from India in raw numbers alone. When you factor in that India has a larger population, those numbers are even more stacked in Africa or Latin America's favour. On a per capita basis, we actually take in about 30% more Africans and 300% more Central/South/Carribbean Americans than Indians.
There are almost 2 million Indians in canada alone. Just look at the previous pages where the numbers were posted. You can play with the numbers anyway you want. It doesn't change anything.

Quote:
The reason we have so many Indian and Chinese immigrants is simply because those are two largest countries in the world. There is no favouritism.
[/QUOTE]

Bullshit, If it was that simple we would see that in all developed western countries. Thats a terrible reason any way. Oh there is more of them so its ok if our demographics become lopsided in thier favour.......So much for diversity.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
I know that. I was responding to the link that was posted where It had Koreans and Japanese at the top of educational attainment. That was my point.

Filipinos are Asian, lol. Latin American and African numbers are ver low compared to Filipinos, Indians and Chinese. You just proved my point.

There are almost 2 million Indians in canada alone. Just look at the previous pages where the numbers were posted. You can play with the numbers anyway you want. It doesn't change anything.

Bullshit, If it was that simple we would see that in all developed western countries. Thats a terrible reason any way. Oh there is more of them so its ok if our demographics become lopsided in thier favour.......So much for diversity.
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...011001-eng.cfm

You're not very good at this. If you increase the denominator, the fraction doesn't change unless the numerator disproportionately does so.

From a pool of 540 million South/Central Americans, Canada brought in 143,031 over a 5 year period.

From a pool of 1.2 billion Africans, Canada brought in 145,700 Africans over a 5 year period.

From a pool of 1.34 billion Indians, Canada brought in 121, 400 newcomers

From a pool of 1.38 billion Chinese, Canada brought in 122, 200 newcomers.

So basically, an African was 30% more likely to come to Canada than someone from India or China, and a South/Central American was 200% more likely. I believe your bet was that we let in more Indians than Africans and Latin Americans combined, and you're not even halfway right.

A large proportion of those two million Indians were born in Canada or have been citizens for decades, and don't factor into this discussion regarding immigration any more than the amount of people with Scottish or Irish descent (which, by this flawed metric, are our most heavily favoured "immigrant" groups). If you're wondering why we have such a large population of ethnically Indian people in this country, we can get into a discussion about the historical immigration and birth trends of this country.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:02 PM

^^^And you seem to be in denial. You can play with the numbers anyway you like to justify things. Indians vastly out number most other groups in Canada. No Latin American country is even in the top immigrant countries to Canada. The MAJORITY of Indians in canada are foreign born.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:04 PM

Again, those are reflective of historical numbers and birth patterns and don't reflect current immigration policy any more than the number of Scottish people in this country reflect our current immigration policy towards the scots.

Anyways, I've posted the numbers. Feel free to write a coherent rebuttal once the sting wears off. I'll hold off on wasting any more time until then.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Again, those are reflective of historical numbers and birth patterns and don't reflect current immigration policy any more than the number of Scottish people in this country reflect our current immigration policy towards the scots.
LOL India is still in the top ten immigrant countries to Canada. The vast majority of Indians in Canada are recent arrivals. Comparing historical Scottish community to Indians is crazy. lol The only thing that stings is your denial.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:39 PM

Rough numbers, but about 25,000 Indians have arrived into Canada per year over the last twenty years according to Statscan. Total number of people who claim Indian origin are 1.37 million, again according to Statscan. Works out to be that around 64% of Indians in this country having been here for 20 years or more, probably greater as a portion of those 25k a year don't stick around or die. I guess it depends on your definition of "recent arrival", but when it comes to the definition of "vast majority" its pretty clear you're not even close again.

But this is all a sidebar. You were talking about current immigration policy and its unfairness. If you want to talk about historical patterns, thats fine but none of your previous posts or claims make sense if that were the case. Not sure why you would take such umbrage over immigration policy in this country from 20-30 years ago when current immigration policy is exactly as "fair" as you want it to be.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Rough numbers, but about 25,000 Indians have arrived into Canada per year over the last twenty years according to Statscan. Total number of people who claim Indian origin are 1.37 million, again according to Statscan. Works out to be that around 64% of Indians in this country having been here for 20 years or more,

If we looks at the demographics of certain cities we can see that the Indian Population has grown disproproptionately compared to most other groups over the past 2 or 3 decades. 20 years is not that long ago. The majority of Indians were not born here according the same statscan page YOU posted. According the government website 67% of Indians are foreing born. Most having arrived after 1990.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you would take such umbrage over immigration policy in this country from 20-30 years ago when current immigration policy is exactly as "fair" as you want it to be.
No its not. You tell that yourself all you want it makes you feel better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada