HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:23 AM

Great minds...this recently crossed my thoughts too.

I think I remember reading awhile back that the guy/company that proposed the storage towers (the "SMART" tower too) ended up in bankruptcy. Not 100% sure though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Great minds...this recently crossed my thoughts too.

I think I remember reading awhile back that the guy/company that proposed the storage towers (the "SMART" tower too) ended up in bankruptcy. Not 100% sure though.
Derek Hanna stiffed a bunch of firms on the Portland City Storage project and disappeared. not sure about bankruptcy, but it would make sense.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:07 PM

Burnside Bridgehead a go
Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer - Portland Business Journal

After years of false starts, the Burnside Bridgehead project is headed for the launch pad.

Cascade Energy Inc., a fast-growing energy consultant, sparked the long-awaited redevelopment project by signing a lease for 25,000 square feet of office space at Convention Plaza with Beam Development, the Portland Development Commission’s partner on the project to remake the eastern end of the Burnside Bridge.

Convention Plaza is the centerpiece of the multiblock project.
Brad Malsin, president of Beam Development, said the lease pushes the project above the 30 percent pre-leasing requirement it needs to secure $16 million in financing to remodel the plaza. Beam has signed letters of intent with several small software firms, but has not yet completed other leases.

Convention Plaza, an empty 96,000-square-foot office building, will get a LEED Gold makeover and seismic update in time to welcome Cascade Energy and others by spring 2013.

Dan Brown, vice president for Cascade Energy, said Convention Plaza is perfectly suited to accommodate a company that has outgrown two offices on Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

It will take the fifth floor and a planned penthouse level. It could expand to 50,000 square feet in the future.

Cascade has about 80 employees, with 55 centered in Portland.
“It will be a really nice headquarters building for us,” he said.
Cascade Energy manages energy efficiency programs for organizations such as Energy Trust of Oregon , the Bonneville Power Administration and Pacific Power. It focuses on industrial customers as warehouses and distribution centers for operators such as Kroger Co. and Sysco.

It’s been a long time coming for the Burnside Bridgehead and the city officials who long dreamed of redeveloping underused sites on the eastern banks of the Willamette River.

In 2004, the Portland Development Commission signed a development agreement with now-defunct Opus Northwest for a $260 million project to install offices, condominiums and other buildings at the property.

Opus, it reasoned, had the resources to secure anchor tenants and get the project started. The recession hit, Opus failed and the development agreement expired in 2008.

That set the stage for Portland-based Beam Development, known for office projects in dilapidated warehouses, to make the Burnside Bridgehead a centerpiece of its portfolio.

It convinced PDC to preserve Convention Plaza as an office for high value industries like the cleantech sector.

Malsin said the firm is negotiating with two prospective lenders, Wells Fargo NA and Bank of the Cascades.

The PDC committed the value of the property to the deal, estimated at $2.3 million. Beam can “earn down” the PDC loan by hitting goals regarding leasing to cleantech firms.

Fast Fact

Works Partnership Architecture LLP is designing the Convention Plaza remodel. Other partners include Lango Hansen Landscape Architects PC and DCI Engineers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...go.html?page=2

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:02 PM

6th and Couch 4-14-2012:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:14 AM

I keep forgetting this thing has its own thread! Update from 4-28-2012:

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 1:28 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Updates from today:

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:19 PM

Hmm, they should leave it Blue. Looks interesting. Strange to see color in PDX.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Hmm, they should leave it Blue. Looks interesting. Strange to see color in PDX
No kidding. The primary reason why I thoroughly enjoy the new building at Killingsworth and Interstate is the use of color: yellow. What a crazy idea!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 9:04 PM

Oregon Rail Heritage Center

Somehow I missed the fact that this was already well under construction. It will be a really nice addition to that area around OMSI and the new bridge and rail lines.

From DJC:

Photos: Construction of Oregon rail museum

General contractor Lorentz Bruun began work on the Hennebery Eddy-designed Oregon Rail Heritage Center in November and expect to be finished in July. The 19,200-square-foot project, being built near the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Southeast Portland, will house three historic locomotives and one car. In addition to space for working on the equipment, the building will contain offices, a conference room, and a public viewing and interpretive area.

photo by Sam Tenney/DJC

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Thanks VALLASTER CORL ARCHITECTS PC

located at NE 6th and NE Couch

http://www.vcarch.com/
Well, it looks like there is some color in the rendering, albeit bronze and copper tones. So let's see if the finished product is as good as the drawing.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:07 AM

It's not the new glass museum that just opened at Seattle Center but it will be worth a visit once completed. . Portland could use a world class tourist draw....IMO.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slide...lass-43335.php

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Hmm, they should leave it Blue. Looks interesting. Strange to see color in PDX.
THANK YOU! Oh my god, I had that exact same thought but felt too ridiculous to actually say it. Every time I see a new gray building being built, I can't help wondering if the developers have ever actually been here. Summers sure are blue. The rest of the year? Not so much. I'm not complaining... I actually enjoy the gray weather here, but if I were designing a building, unless I was going for some kind of wacky camouflage, I'd use some frigging color. I'm not saying I'd make it this shade of blue... but... uhm...

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:39 PM

I was wondering when this would start, it will be a nice addition to the OMSI area especially since it's a rail museum on the old triangular-shaped Southern Pacific turnaround site three-sided by Union Pacific RR, Oregon Pacific RR, and the new MAX tracks. It's also in the shadow of the Streetcar viaduct. Definitely a rail fan's dream location.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:36 PM

Found a low-quality rendering and some more construction photos:

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:17 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post

photo by Sam Tenney/DJC
Only 2 months till completion? How old is this photo?

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 1:54 AM

Yeah, hard to believe that it's supposed to be complete in 2 months. Here are a few shots that I took yesterday. The 2nd one is from the streetcar overcrossing.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:39 PM

Does the streetcar overcrossing have a sidewalk, or were you just taking advantage of a good opportunity? Great photos btw.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing - also, it appears there is a lot of red bull to be drunk between now and the end of July if this thing is gonna be ready by then.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:21 AM

^^^ No sidewalk. I wish -- it would have made for a nice connection over the tracks right there. I was hoping that it was ride-able by bike but it turns into gravel towards the OMSI end so you have to dismount and walk the rest of the way. Probably something I won't be doing after opening day

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:58 AM
Karma Police

I'm shocked that they made no accommodations for bikes or pedestrians across that bridge. Especially since it will tie directly into the new Willamette bridge. Is this because the Streetcar had to value engineer something out and this was the sacrifice? Hopefully it's something they can add later once the MLR bridge is done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland