HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:46 AM

Jarislowsky Chair looking at immigration issues in smaller cities

Quote:
Dr. Abdie Kazemipur is setting into his role as the first Stephen Jarislowsky Chair in Culture Change in Rapidly Developing Modern Societies, housed in the Faculty of Arts. A sociologist, Dr. Kazemipur comes to Memorial from the University of Lethbridge and is originally from Iran.

The mandate of the $2-million chair is to examine issues related to immigration and culture change. Among his numerous projects, Dr. Kazemipur is a co-investigator on a current SSHRC-funded project, Pathway to Prosperity, which focuses on immigration retention and integration in smaller Canadian cities, such as St. John’s.

“In smaller cities, immigrants have additional challenges for integrating into the local communities. They do not have their own communities, and they are very visible,” said Dr. Kazemipur. “What’s particularly exciting about the mandate of this chair position is that it gives us an opportunity to address these issues before and as they happen, rather than waiting for things to happen and then deal with the consequences.”

Historically, this type of research has focused on larger Canadian cities – what Dr. Kazemipur refers to as the "MTV (Montreal /Toronto/Vancouver) effect".

“One of the reasons immigrants have traditionally gone to larger cities, in addition to the greater economic opportunities, is that there are larger communities of similar origins … in smaller cities social integration can become a big issue.”

As Newfoundland and Labrador enters a new stage in its economic development, the ability to attract and retain new immigrants becomes of vital importance. Dr. Kazemipur’s research will assist the provincial government in advancing its immigration strategy. A representative from the provincial Office of Immigration and Multiculturalism sits on the project’s advisory board, as well.

In addition to Pathway to Prosperity, Dr. Kazemipur is embarking on a cross-disciplinary project with Dr. Jennifer Selby of the Department of Religious Studies dealing with the negotiation of identity among Muslims in St. John’s.

The Montreal-based Stephen Jarislowsky Foundation, local philanthropist Elinor Gill Ratcliff and the Provincial Government of Newfoundland and Labrador fund the Stephen Jarislowsky Chair in Culture Change in Rapidly Developing Modern Societies. It is a renewable five-year appointment.
http://today.mun.ca/news.php?news_id=7643

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
And Heritage doesn't have to be clapboard rowhouses.

A skyscraper with a nice, ornate roof like the Supreme Court would look just as at home near old St. John's.
Sometimes it can look good, depending on attention to detail, style, proportions, scale, materials, and context, but design wise it seems to be quite a hit or miss thing. To make it look good usually costs more money.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 1:58 AM

I really hope they don't try to make the Hilton looks like one giant clapboard rowhouse. It doesn't need to look heritage. It is not near any heritage buildings. It should look modern.

If it was proposed to be in the east end of downtown (not that I support highrises in the east end of DT!) then yes it would have to blend in with the heritage buildings around it. But, it will be located in the west end of downtown which we are trying to modernize.

I'm all for preserving the heritage area and the strict rules when building in that area, but the west end of DT needs to be a place for modern structures. Honestly I think the Hilton should look anything but heritage. Here's why..

Does The Delta, 351, Fortis Place, and the Cabot twins look 'heritage'? nope. But it's that contrast of modern and old that makes the heritage area stand out all the more. If we get a few more modern (and dare I say...) taller buildings in the west end , it will create quite an iconic, diverse skyline causing the historic district will shine all the brighter.

I'm not just talking about the hilton, I'm talking about all future buildings in the west end. I don't mind if they hint at our heritage. I just don't want future buildings in the west end to look like supersized row-houses. I would much rather create a beautiful contrast between the new and old, than have a mish-mash of everything everywhere!

Sorry for the rant, just how I feel

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
A 12 storey condo? i have not heard of that one before. any pictures around of what it was supposed to look like?

EDIT: I would love to see some high-rise condo proposals! I think it could really work out around Quidi Vidi lake (And area). I'm also pretty exited to see the new design for the Hilton Garden inn! hopefully it looks good.
There were several proposals for buildings around that time, including St. John's own version of scotia square. In retrospect it's probably best it wasn't built considering how ugly those Halifax buildings are.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
There were several proposals for buildings around that time, including St. John's own version of scotia square. In retrospect it's probably best it wasn't built considering how ugly those Halifax buildings are.
Is there any picture of all these old proposals?? I've never heard of alot of these until today

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Is there any picture of all these old proposals?? I've never heard of alot of these until today
Supposedly the plans were on display at city hall for some time, but they aren't there anymore. It's a mystery as to where they may be now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Supposedly the plans were on display at city hall for some time, but they aren't there anymore. It's a mystery as to where they may be now.
I'm not sure if the one I am referring to is the same proposal you mean (Trizec), it seems like there was another one a few years later involving a different local developer. The city tried for years to get all that land around City Hall developed (and it seems there is still some space left today).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:33 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 1, 2012

I took a forumer's advice and continued as far northeast from Shea Heights as I'm legally allowed, ha! It's a good vantage point but, sadly, I forgot to correct my camera settings from messing around with moon pictures last night. So the pics look like they were taken with a cell phone, ha! But they're still good for an update...

Not that much changed since yesterday, ha! I just love taking pictures!

Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Downtown St. John's from Shea Heights by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old St. John's from Shea Heights by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Development in Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

MIX Condos Site by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Fortis Place by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old St. John's from Shea Heights by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Anyone notice that the time it took Fortis to put new siding/cladding on the TD Building, East Port Properties were able to put up an entire new building in what seems half the time. LOL.
They have to remove all the brick from the building, replace all the windows, install new brick on the lower and then install panels, it's not a small job.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:47 PM

International E-Learning Company Desire2Learn Expanding to Newfoundland and Labrador

Innovation, Business and Rural Development
October 1, 2012

Quote:
A $3.5 million loan from the Provincial Government is propelling Desire2Learn Incorporated, a leader in providing cloud-based learning solutions for higher education, K-12 and Fortune 1000 companies, to expand its operations into Newfoundland and Labrador. The global company is based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, and also has operations in the United States, Europe, Brazil, Australia and Singapore.

The investment was announced today by the Honourable Keith Hutchings, Minister of Innovation, Business and Rural Development. It supports the continued growth of the province’s $1.6 billion information and communications technology industry.

“The addition of Desire2Learn to Newfoundland and Labrador’s business community will further boost our growing information and communications technology sector,” said Minister Hutchings. “Our ability to attract an operation the size and scope of Desire2Learn speaks to the positive business and investment environment that exists in the province. It is this activity that is helping diversify the provincial economy. It positions Newfoundland and Labrador to both better attract young people and allow more experienced professionals to enjoy vibrant, progressive careers.”

Founded in 1999, Desire2Learn specializes in developing e-learning solutions and has in excess of eight million learners worldwide and a client base of more than 700, which includes Memorial University, College of the North Atlantic, Michigan State University, North Eastern Illinois University, The Ohio State University, and Nottingham Trent University.

“We are very excited about our expansion within the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador,” says John Baker, President and CEO of Desire2Learn. “With the province’s focus on building the community with highly skilled ICT professionals and the accessibility of career-ready graduates from both Memorial University and College of the North Atlantic programs, Desire2Learn is looking forward to hiring the best and brightest to help grow our company in this region. We are dedicated to creating solutions that leverage the latest in technology to foster lifelong learning, and our ability to tap into this workforce will help push us further. We are also extremely proud of our Canadian roots and are excited to expand further in the country.”

With hiring for its new operations starting later this year, Desire2Learn is seeking to build on its successes that earned it a position on Deloitte Technology’s 50 fastest growing technology companies for four successive years. Recently, Desire2Learn raised $80 million in venture capital, the largest venture capital investment in Canadian software history. The company currently employs more than 560 people worldwide.

“The knowledge-based economy is a breeding ground for the innovation and entrepreneurship that will drive positive economic and social development for Newfoundland and Labrador,” said Gerard Duggan, Chair, Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Technology Industries. “Desire2Learn will help bring added expertise and capacity to the sector and we welcome them to Newfoundland and Labrador. We look forward to working with the Provincial Government, young technologists, new entrepreneurs and industry veterans to ensure we have healthy, thriving communities that are built to last, long after the benefits of non-renewable resources have been utilized.”

The Provincial Government’s investment is a forgivable loan that will help Desire2Learn establish its operations and build its local workforce to 35 employees over the next five years. It is projected that over a 10-year period, the net economic benefit to the province will be approximately $21 million. Other benefits include indirect and induced employment within related businesses and overall increasing the sector’s capacity for growth.

The investment was made through the Business Attraction Fund. Budget 2012: People and Prosperity, allocated $15.5 million under the Business Attraction Fund to enhance the province's ability to compete for and attract new national and international business investment.

About Desire2Learn
Desire2Learn is helping to transform the way the world learns. Providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire lifelong learners, Desire2Learn helps clients break down barriers to access the highest quality learning experiences, and is recognized for its leadership in accessibility. Desire2Learn is a global leader in cloud (Software as a Service) based learning solutions and provides an open and extensible platform to over 700 clients and over eight million learners in higher education, K-12, healthcare, government and the corporate sector, including the Fortune 1000. Desire2Learn has personnel in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Brazil and Singapore. For more information visit: www.Desire2Learn.com
http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...rd/1001n03.htm

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:30 PM

KFC Franchises Snapped Up by NB Company

I thought it would be a good idea to post this seeing that the potential loss of KFCs garnered some interesting discussion here previously.

Source: VOCM, October 1, 2012

Quote:
KFC lovers outside the St. John's area can rest easy. A New Brunswick-based restaurant company has taken over the franchise rights to ten locations that saw their lights turned off. The previous owner had decided not to renew its franchise agreement, leaving the ten towns with no KFC locations. F-M-I Group says it vows to keep all ten KFCs open.

Locations confirmed so far are in Clarenville, Corner Brook, Carbonear and Deer Lake. President Dwight Fraser says they will be building new restaurants in Deer Lake, Grand Falls-Windsor and Carbonear. Fraser says they're close to confirming spots in Lewisporte, Stephenville, Marystown and Gander. They are actively seeking a suitable location for Bay Roberts.

FMI Group purchased more than 40 KFC restaurants in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia earlier this year.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...27086&latest=1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm loving all your posts, Statbass. Thanks for sharing all this info!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm loving all your posts, Statbass. Thanks for sharing all this info!
Thanks.... I'll continue to do my best!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:30 PM

Just jokin around man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They have to remove all the brick from the building, replace all the windows, install new brick on the lower and then install panels, it's not a small job.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:51 PM

Heard on the radio that the demolition of the breakwater books building was rejected by council today and they are expanding their list of heritage status properties in their meeting this evening

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:48 PM

I had some extra time so I decided to make a really bad view of the west end of DT how I would like it.. I moved the fortis building and scotia center over to the west end and I added two buildings from halifax that I like and thought would fit in pretty good here: 1801 Hollis St, and The Trillium.

I know it's bad and the image is a bad quality because I couldn't take a screenshot but here it is anyway!

[IMG]
IMG_0147 by Newfie97, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
IMG_0149 by Newfie97, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks good and I like it.

But, if we're fantasizing, I want the old Fortis Building gone.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 10:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 2, 2012

Note the new hotel on Kenmount in the background:

First Light of Day by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

It amazes me how far south the sunrise moves every week:

Sunrise Behind Signal Hill by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Ahhh... I can't wait until these two buildings are finished. I just can't wait. It's going to look so nice. Fortis, especially, is a building to be proud of.

Fortis Place and 351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

I would do just about anything to just about anyone for one of the MIX condo units, and slightly less for one in any of the other two buildings, ha!

Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Sssoooo much salt...

Downtown St. John's Before Sunrise by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:02 AM

Heads up for anyone up this morning (I know at least you are Signalhillhiker)

Live Chat

Join us for a live chat Tuesday, October 2 with Paradise Mayor Ralph Wiseman and Torbay Mayor Bob Codner. 10:30 a.m. NT, 10:00 Lab.

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/newburbia/chat/

I'm at work so I may or may not be able to listen in

Great pics as usual

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:37 AM

People Opposed to New Cell Tower

Good ol' NIMBYs out in full force last night. Ironically, most of these people probably complain about their cell service.

Tuesday, Oct 2 2012. VOCM

Quote:
More than 100 people from the Merrymeeting Road area of the capital city have signed a petition opposing a new cell tower. Bell Mobility has asked the city for permission to build a telecommunications tower in St. George's Court, the parking lot of a senior's complex. Citing concerns about property values and health risks, the document asks the communications giant to consider an alternate location.

The authorization of telecommunications facilities falls under the jurisdiction of the federal government through Industry Canada. But for its part, the city says it is in the process of drafting a report to guide future proposals. Councillor Tom Hann calls it a hot topic of recent months. He says it's something all municipalities are dealing with.

Hann says once complete, the document will be given to service providers to show them exactly where they would be permitted to build.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...27104&latest=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's