HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 1:43 PM

Herodotus, you set the standard for Ohio Valley photography. Great work, as always.

Pittsburgh's twin has to be Cincinnati - they are alike in so so many ways.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I'll be moving to Pittsburgh in the next couple of years hopefully. I'm a native Pennsylvanian living in CA right now but I'm looking forward to moving back east and moving to a place I can afford a nice house. Any suggestions for areas I can be checking out that may be "up and coming" neighborhoods in the next 2 or so years? I'll be there over Christmas and I hope to scope out some 'hoods.

Thanks for any help anyone could give... Sorry, off topic.
Map of City Neighborhoods:
http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/por...hborhoods.html

Downtown (North Shore, Strip, Crawford Square) area: http://www.pghliving.com/

Guide to Various (Very Popular) City Neighborhoods:
http://www.popcitymedia.com/neighborhoods/Default.aspx

This site more for tourists, but has nice Neighborhood overview:
http://pittsburghneighborhoodtours.com/pr13/

Edgewood, Very Nice Inner Ring Suburb near City's East End
(Live here for a while w/ my girlfriend and loved the area):
http://www.edgewood.pgh.pa.us/

Also take a look at this:
http://www.imaginepittsburgh.com/index.aspx

Pittsburgh has plenty of great (and affordable) neighborhoods to choose from. Both Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are great but they are both a little more expensive. Shadyside is a fairly gentrified/yuppie/upscale neighborhood (singles, students, gay scene, etc.) and Squirrel Hill is a great city neighborhood that is more family oriented (large Jewish cultural center). If you want easy access to Pitt and Oakland, I would stick around the city’s East End or the South Side. You may also want to check out Regent Square/Edgewood, Friendship, East Liberty and Greenfield. Most other areas of Allegheny County and the city are served fairly well by public transit.

Greenfield and Regent Square/Edgewood are near Squirrel Hill but a little cheaper. Greenfield is a little more blue collar but very nice. Regent Square/Edgewood is one of my favorite parts of the city and we lived there about two years. It is affordable to rent but with me in school we couldn’t buy there. If you like the outdoors, Frick Park is a great city park and right next to the neighborhood.

Friendship and East Liberty are near Shadyside and both are starting to really pickup. We lived in that area for a year and really liked it. There are still a ton of cheap places to rent in this area. I would say Friendship is a little safer than East Liberty (which does have a bad reputation) but East Liberty is getting better. The new Whole Foods, Trader Jacks and Home Depot are in the neighborhood and there is talk of brining in a Target. A lot of city urban renewal.

If you really like city feel you might also want to check out portions of North Oakland and the neighborhood of Bloomfield. Bloomfield is Pittsburgh’s little Italy. Great Food! The area is very blue collar with a lot of old Italian people but a generally friendly and nice neighborhood.

We bought a house on Mount Washington which is a nice neighborhood. But if you want convenient public transportation to Oakland (or Downtown even), you are better off staying in the East End of the city.

There are plenty of bargains, especially if you look outside the popular areas like Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. We bought a small two bed room “town house” in great shape for about 60K. More space than apartment, my girlfriend gets a yard she can use, etc for less than rent would be. Hopefully when I’m done with school and it is time to move onto something bigger, we can turn around and rent the place.

Good luck on your move to the 'burgh!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 6:07 PM

^ Well said. Here's a repost of my comments in another thread from a month ago:

Downtown is compact and very nice to explore. The area around the stadiums on the North Shore is mostly brand new and the trail on the river has some nice views. However the nicest views of the city are from Mt. Washington (Grandview Avenue).

Neighborhoods to explore (this is kinda long but I think it's fairly complete):

Shadyside - trendy and hip, when I first came to Pittsburgh someone described it as a "student neighborhood" to me, but it's much more upscale than that. If you wanna live where the action is it's probably a good choice but it's much more expensive than most other city areas. Walnut St has the upscale shops, Ellsworth Ave has art galleries and some cafes.

South Side - also trendy, maybe cheaper and more diverse housing stock (mostly houses, few midrises and highrises). Carson St has more bars and nightclubs than anywhere else in the metro area.

Squirrel Hill - just east of CMU, many students from CMU and Pitt live there, though again it's more expensive than many other areas. It's the old Jewish neighborhood, but it's probably the most "international" neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Forbes and Murray Avenues are the main commercial areas, and there are many apartments in highrises and also victorian houses around those streets.

North Side - actually many neighborhoods, if you like architecture the nicest residential architecture is there, in the Manchester, Allegheny West and Mexican War Streets neighborhoods. You might wanna live there, in old victorian houses, however you'll likely have to walk to the North Shore or downtown for dining/entertainment options.

Oakland - the Pitt neighborhood, I'd guess most Pitt students live there because it's cheaper than Shadyside, however it's still slightly more expensive and IMO not as nice than the areas that follow. Commercial district on Forbes and Fifth, many restaurants and student bars. The view of the Cathedral of Learning when driving east on Forbes from downtown is incredible.

East Liberty - getting better with many commercial developments, Whole Foods market and a new big Giant Eagle (the largest local grocery store), and got some spillover from Shadyside as it's just north of it. Some nice older houses but there are still some problems with crime north and east of East Liberty Blvd.

Friendship - just west of East Liberty, and north of Oakland. Very nice victorian houses, almost all converted into apartments. Check out Atlantic Ave, Pacific Ave and others around it. Not as expensive as Shadyside.

Highland Park - north of East Liberty, not really walkable to Pitt but many bus options. Very nice tree lined streets and victorian housing options (again!). Cheaper than most other places, but you mostly need a car for shopping unless you live on the southern border of the neighborhood. Check out Highland Ave, Negley Ave and Stanton Ave.

Bloomfield - north of Oakland, west of Friendship. Pittsburgh's Little Italy. Many restaurants and bars on Liberty Ave, and the housing stock around it is basically a bunch of small working class/blue collar rowhouses crammed together. Very cheap housing options there, though inside the apartments are probably not that nice.

Lawrenceville - north of Bloomfield toward the Allegheny. I live there, some people think it's very nice (and it is slowly gentrifying), some think it's awful. Cheap and some nice housing options in houses (no highrises there). Butler St between 34th St and Stanton Ave is a nice commercial strip. Some galleries and bars, many artists live in that neighborhood.

Point Breeze - east of Shadyside, north/east of Squirrel Hill, also many housing options there, it's a nice neighborhood that's probably a compromise between Shadyside and places like Highland Park. Close to Frick Park, the Frick Museum of Art and Regent Square.

Regent Square - east of Frick Park, has some nice housing options as well. Some cafes and bars, and an independent movie theatre.

I guess this is more than enough for an introduction. If it is your first time here, be sure to check out Downtown, Forbes Ave in Oakland, Aiken St/Walnut St in Shadyside, Shady Ave/Forbes Ave/Murray Ave in Squirrel Hill, and the South Side.

If you have a car and are ready to look for an apartment in some of the nicer streetcar suburbs, check out Aspinwall (north), Edgewood (just east of Regent Square) and Dormont/Mt. Lebanon (south), which are nice areas (although I've yet to see a nice Dormont apartment on craigslist.org!).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ms AA

Ok ManMadeMound, here is my two cents.

The two previous posts gave you a good idea of what the neighborhoods have to offer, but not of how they are laid out.

Shadyside. This is the only section of the city that has large wood frame Victorian houses (Painted Lady types). The houses have porches, and small yards. They are built quite closely together, as is the norm in Pittsburgh. The western half of Shadyside is very high end, with many mansions and very large houses.

Squirrel Hill is very similar to Shadyside, except that it was built up 20-30 years later, and reflects the architectural styles of the early 20th Century, rather than the late 19th. This is also the heart of Jewish Pittsburgh. It is decidedly less trendy than Shadyside.

South Side, is a neighborhood that is undergoing much gentrification. This was a working class area, that is now home to many college students (mostly attending Duquesne), and yuppies, along with a large population of retired long time residents. One thing the other guys failed to point out. This is a row/townhouse neighborhood. Not sure where you are from, or if you are familiar with this type of hood. There are no yards here, and the houses are stoop fronted. I feel this is neccessary to point out, because while many people love the type of density and streetlife this type of layout provides, others can't stand the concept of rowhouse living.

Oakland is the home of the University of Pittsburgh. It's crowded, dirty, rundown and overpriced, but it's vibrant as hell. Loved by some, despised by many.

The historic North Side neighborhoods have some of the best architecture in town. They are also bordered by some very rough areas. These are also rowhouse hoods.

Bloomfield is the main Little Italy. It is safe, and very quaint. It is also very densely built up. No yards or porches, your stoop and the pavement function as your yard.

Lawrenceville is the most densely built up neighborhood in the city. The vast majority of the houses are red brick rowhouses. Forget about a yard, though there are some rows that have porches.

Mt Washington is the large hill that lies south of Downtown. While the streets that have a view of Downtown are quite expensive, the rest of the neighborhood is reasonable. You will find closely built detatched houses here. Tiny front yards, with more yard in the rear is the norm. There are large numbers of both brick, and frame homes here.

Polish Hill is a very very quaint area located about a mile east of Downtown. It is very hilly, and very dense. There is a wide variety of housing types here, including quite a few flats.

There are other areas, but they are either very rough, or not as conveniently located.
Click here to see some photos of Pittsburgh

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 10:21 PM

Wow, thanks so much you guys for the help. This information will be really useful! My girlfriend has relatives who live in Friendship (I think), on Roupe St (I think), which is where I'll be staying in a couple of weeks.

Right now I live in a pretty gritty urban area of Los Angeles (Korea Town) so I'm ok with density and a bit of seedy-ness. I'd like to kind of be keyed into the "on the rise" neighborhoods before I move so I can possibly look to those areas. From the other Pittsburgh threads I’ve been reading it looks like a lot is or is going to be happening there in the near future.

I'm really excited about owning in Pittsburgh. Moving from a place when a home in the 'hood costs 500K, it will be a really nice change of pace to not be paying $1000 for rent a month for a small 1 bd.

Anyways, thanks again for your help folks. I love Pittsburgh and look forward to moving there. Maybe when I do we could meet up for drinks :-) Any more advice you've got is always welcome.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 1:04 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Back to the pics, As Morris Day would say - "This thread is so C---O---O---L, like me".

Thanks hero.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos