HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:21 PM

"If you build it, they will come".
We built JoeD and the players came, but the spectators didnt. Maybe we needed some ghosts?
HSV doesnt support any sports team, and the city couldn't build a $35mil stadium without 99% assured that it would attract a large crowd. If a private entity wants to buy the land and build a stadium, it is still possible as the deal is still under review, but expending public money is not going to happen.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM

Walton's? Airport And Whitesburg, old Ruby Tuesday's building... Is this the new Meat and Three? Or something else?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:59 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Previous announced downtown development ready to go..

A new five-story downtown apartment building with as many as seven restaurants on street level should be under construction by January.

Called The Avenue, the $30 million-plus mixed-use development is earmarked for what is now a public parking lot at the corner of Holmes Avenue and Jefferson Street.

"We're ready to move forward," developer Charlie Sealy III told AL.com. "The first phases should open in January 2016, and the entire project should be finished by that April."
The Avenue will have 193 residential units, 21,000 square feet of street-level restaurant and retail space, and its own parking deck.

There will be three to four full service restaurants, he said, and two or three more casual "quick service" eateries. The first tenants are expected to be announced early next year.

Huntsville Times

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 12:12 PM

This is a good article... http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...ing_squar.html

I am from San Jose and back in Jan. 2013, I posted here (page 271) about Santana Row and how Huntsville could learn from the city of San Jose and from this development. I am glad to see that someone out there got the newspaper to write a story about it and bring it to the attention of people in Huntsville. The Row is a huge economic driver now with a huge draw from across the country. I can see downtown or bridge street easily following this model and becoming hugely successful.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:03 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post

I am from San Jose and back in Jan. 2013, I posted here (page 271) about Santana Row and how Huntsville could learn from the city of San Jose and from this development. I am glad to see that someone out there got the newspaper to write a story about it and bring it to the attention of people in Huntsville. The Row is a huge economic driver now with a huge draw from across the country. I can see downtown or bridge street easily following this model and becoming hugely successful.
absolutely..only complaint is the usual drab un inspiring architecture(Big Spring Square). At least from the cryptic renderings. Here is an opportunity to make a bold statement that would draw and make people want to come. Instead it will be missed by most, I think Twickenham Square also missed the boat in that regard, a great development that just came up short visually. How much stucco and brick can one city have?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM

Smile

Quote:

I have visited Santana Row numerous times on visits to San Jose (I especially enjoy the Tesla Dealership ) and it would be great if Big Spring Square could be even a portion of what it is like. However, Santana Row is extremely high end and I have a hard time seeing many of those restaurants and retailers being successful in this area. The overall concept would work, with some tweaking. In the big scheme of things the developers seem to be aiming in the right direction and not doing the typical development found here with a Target (or Wal-Mart) anchored center with a Kohl's, sporting goods and mattress stores. For that, they should be given a lot of credit. It is too bad that Town Madison has not taken this approach.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I have visited Santana Row numerous times on visits to San Jose (I especially enjoy the Tesla Dealership ) and it would be great if Big Spring Square could be even a portion of what it is like. However, Santana Row is extremely high end and I have a hard time seeing many of those restaurants and retailers being successful in this area. The overall concept would work, with some tweaking. In the big scheme of things the developers seem to be aiming in the right direction and not doing the typical development found here with a Target (or Wal-Mart) anchored center with a Kohl's, sporting goods and mattress stores. For that, they should be given a lot of credit. It is too bad that Town Madison has not taken this approach.
Santana Row used to be the very high end but now its full of places on par with H&M.. Even in the south bay, the very, very high end could not survive and it has, within 2 mile radius, some of the highest median incomes in the country. I agree that developers and the city are trying.. since i came here two years ago, I have seen a shift in some for this kind of development. The mayor (as much as some people seem to hate him), the downtown Huntsville, inc CEO and the city development team..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Santana Row used to be the very high end but now its full of places on par with H&M.. Even in the south bay, the very, very high end could not survive and it has, within 2 mile radius, some of the highest median incomes in the country. I agree that developers and the city are trying.. since i came here two years ago, I have seen a shift in some for this kind of development. The mayor (as much as some people seem to hate him), the downtown Huntsville, inc CEO and the city development team..
That is interesting that Santana Row is not as high end as it used to be - on my first couple of visits there, the Gucci and other high end boutiques gave me the impression that the Tesla dealer and the Best Buy with its high end Magnolia show room were about the only places I needed to visit.

By contrast, across the street, Westfield Valley Fair has become the Rodeo Drive of Silicon Valley as more extremely high end stores cover the wing anchored by Nordstrom (near Forest Avenue).

It is amazing that the powers that be in Huntsville can't even get a Macy's, when Jackson, TN and Bowling Green, KY have them. It seems to be me that both Macy's and Von Maur's are missing out. With the exception of Dillard's at Parkway Place, Belk has a monopoly on the mid to higher end department store market here. With all of the empty dept. stores at Madison Square, they could practically give them each a building.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
That is interesting that Santana Row is not as high end as it used to be - on my first couple of visits there, the Gucci and other high end boutiques gave me the impression that the Tesla dealer and the Best Buy with its high end Magnolia show room were about the only places I needed to visit.

By contrast, across the street, Westfield Valley Fair has become the Rodeo Drive of Silicon Valley as more extremely high end stores cover the wing anchored by Nordstrom (near Forest Avenue).

It is amazing that the powers that be in Huntsville can't even get a Macy's, when Jackson, TN and Bowling Green, KY have them. It seems to be me that both Macy's and Von Maur's are missing out. With the exception of Dillard's at Parkway Place, Belk has a monopoly on the mid to higher end department store market here. With all of the empty dept. stores at Madison Square, they could practically give them each a building.
Macy's wanted too much from the city in incentives, as you recall Von Maur publically stated they wanted to be in Huntsville. Guess they are waiting for the right location and opportunity. Madison Square is in the hands of the owners and the stores that own their spots (Sears, Penny's)
Von Maur downtown (Constellation ?) would be fantastic.
The new Belk is as good as any Macy's..if it weren't for the name on the building most would not be able to tell the difference.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
"If you build it, they will come".
We built JoeD and the players came, but the spectators didnt. Maybe we needed some ghosts?
HSV doesnt support any sports team, and the city couldn't build a $35mil stadium without 99% assured that it would attract a large crowd. If a private entity wants to buy the land and build a stadium, it is still possible as the deal is still under review, but expending public money is not going to happen.
FYI, back in the 80s the Huntsville Stars led all minor league teams in sellouts, tickets sold, and revenue sales. They were then the double A farm club to the Oakland A's and featured superstars like Mark McGuire and Jose Canseco. When the team was sold to the owner of the Milwaukee Brewers the fan base lost interest because the Brewers weren't a marquee team. Plus the stadium became outdated, there was no fan experience as you find at the newer minor league stadiums across America.

That's why the fans stopped going to the games. Not because nobody liked baseball. If Huntsville could get a Triple-A team and a new stadium downtown it would be a major success and bring brand new business and entertainment to downtown. That won't happen without a new stadium and a new team.

Huntsville could build a $35 million state-of-the-art stadium in downtown at the Coke site as an ideal gateway to downtown. But the city is filled with too many Mayberry minded idiots to keep it from happening. That's why Huntsville will never be taken serious. Hell, Madison will soon be bigger and more appealing than Huntsville.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:59 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
FYI, back in the 80s the Huntsville Stars led all minor league teams in sellouts, tickets sold, and revenue sales. They were then the double A farm club to the Oakland A's and featured superstars like Mark McGuire and Jose Canseco. When the team was sold to the owner of the Milwaukee Brewers the fan base lost interest because the Brewers weren't a marquee team. Plus the stadium became outdated, there was no fan experience as you find at the newer minor league stadiums across America.

That's why the fans stopped going to the games. Not because nobody liked baseball. If Huntsville could get a Triple-A team and a new stadium downtown it would be a major success and bring brand new business and entertainment to downtown. That won't happen without a new stadium and a new team.

Huntsville could build a $35 million state-of-the-art stadium in downtown at the Coke site as an ideal gateway to downtown. But the city is filled with too many Mayberry minded idiots to keep it from happening. That's why Huntsville will never be taken serious. Hell, Madison will soon be bigger and more appealing than Huntsville.
not hardly, a landlocked bedroom suburb of approx 50,000 is incapable of surpassing it's 185,000 person "neighbor"..but we get the gist of your post

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:39 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Orvis store at Bridge Street opens Nov. 8th. It is near Lime Fresh Mexican Grill

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:

The Mayberry idiots will sell the property for less than $10million. Get one of the erudite baseball fans to pay up and build the stadium they want.
FYI, I had complimentary use of a booth for the 1980's and 1990's and went to a game every so often...no one else from my company was ever in the booth and the stadium was mostly empty, even when Jose was playing.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
The Mayberry idiots will sell the property for less than $10million. Get one of the erudite baseball fans to pay up and build the stadium they want.
FYI, I had complimentary use of a booth for the 1980's and 1990's and went to a game every so often...no one else from my company was ever in the booth and the stadium was mostly empty, even when Jose was playing.
That's a lie! I went to almost every home game back when Canseco played and it was mostly SRO meaning standing room only! It's obvious you're one of those Mayberry types who doesn't like baseball and doesn't understand that sports plays a significant role and has a great impact on a city's growth.

Take Memphis for an example of how a city grew from sports. Their downtown used to be dead. Then they built the Pyramid arena, then Autozone Park which then led to revitalising the iconic Beale Street and brought business back to downtown, and then built the FedExForum for the NBA. Now it's rated one of the best sports towns in America and the downtown is growing. There's museums, bars, nightlife all around now. There's even gonna be a Hard Rock Hotel soon on Beale Street. All that happened when they moved the venues to downtown. I'm just saying...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:38 PM
America's Mars Rocket

If it will work in Montgomery, Birmingham, Chattanooga it will work in Huntsville

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
If it will work in Montgomery, Birmingham, Chattanooga it will work in Huntsville
agreed.. it is working almost everywhere else in the country.. find me two examples of where a modern day stadium is built downtown and it has not helped the core downtown

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
agreed.. it is working almost everywhere else in the country.. find me two examples of where a modern day stadium is built downtown and it has not helped the core downtown
Exactly! Mayor Battle should be studying similar size cities like Chattanooga and see how it's growing from having downtown attractions and businesses. Huntsville's downtown has so much potential and could be just as beautiful as Chattanooga. But Battle won't do anything that may cost him the votes to stay in office. Maybe after the election he'll wise up.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:15 PM

I have no reason to lie, I saw Cnseco and McGwire play when they were normal sized humans prior to their growth spurt. The games I was at were attended by hundreds while thousands of seats sat empty.
No one is preventing a private entity from building a stadium, but the info does not support the city even breaking even on the millions needed to build a stadium.
If really convinced, pursue a referendum on the issue and let the people vote on the expenditure.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 12:08 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Exactly! Mayor Battle should be studying similar size cities like Chattanooga and see how it's growing from having downtown attractions and businesses. Huntsville's downtown has so much potential and could be just as beautiful as Chattanooga. But Battle won't do anything that may cost him the votes to stay in office. Maybe after the election he'll wise up.
fyi the city has been working on this project for several years, there are studies, renderings and concepts and not just for a baseball stadium.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
fyi the city has been working on this project for several years, there are studies, renderings and concepts and not just for a baseball stadium.
Huntsville needs a marquee tourist attraction in downtown on par with Chattanooga's aquarium. I'd love to see Huntsville build a planetarium/aquarium as a state facility. But that's not gonna happen because Huntsville's leaders are cheap as hell and have no creative vision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast