HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post
Thanks for those photos, Street Advocate. The transformation of the southern part of Reynoldstown along Memorial Drive is one of the most mind-boggling changes I've seen since I moved to Atlanta.
Yes, totally agree....

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Doesn’t this project have a road the parallels the SST? I’m not sure how developers are still getting away with that.

For those interested in location and acreage, the project site is visible in google maps.
It does have a road that will run parallel to the future BeltLine, an extension of Bill Kennedy Way if you will. I think in this case, it is the best scenario for the area, as the road will serve as an access point for the community at a lighted intersection as opposed to having a curb cut on Glenwood and residents spilling out there without a light.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:48 PM

I'm nowhere near as concerned about less-intensive buildout of parcels in Atlantic Station as I am within Midtown proper. I've beat the drum about FAR before, so no need to rehash that.

Another radical proposal: raze Home Park. It does nothing for the city. And I see this as a preferable way to accommodating growth compared to gentrifying a wider swath of southwest Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I'm nowhere near as concerned about less-intensive buildout of parcels in Atlantic Station as I am within Midtown proper. I've beat the drum about FAR before, so no need to rehash that.

Another radical proposal: raze Home Park. It does nothing for the city. And I see this as a preferable way to accommodating growth compared to gentrifying a wider swath of southwest Atlanta.
There are some nice intersections worth keeping in HP and the GT students have to have somewhere cheap to live and party.

Another radical proposal: flood the connector and turn it into a reservoir.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:05 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:

I went to Ga Tech from 1980 - 1985; very familiar w Home Park...this comment led me to pull up Zillow to take a gander at single family home prices there...

Yowza! 2 and 3 Br 1 Bath houses, under 1,000 SF, going for $400K+...lots of houses in the $5's, $6's & $7Ks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
There are some nice intersections worth keeping in HP and the GT students have to have somewhere cheap to live and party.

Obviously that would be great, but we all know it's not going to happen. We can let home park grow naturally if we simply upzone the entire CoA to a 4 or 6 unit minimum like Minneapolis just did. Then you start selecting corridors for future transit and allow those to unlimited density.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 PM
Just a dude

Come on Arthur Blank, toss us a few billion to jolt transit improvements and fast track the development, you won't miss it! That's my radical proposal. My GF just moved back from Hawaii and was like 'jesus traffic is somehow worse than when I left in '17'

Agree about Memorial, I live right in the middle of all this and it's absolutely nuts, looks like a different street/city from 3 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:59 PM

Here's my radical proposal...repair the streets.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Wow, that is bold. I like it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:

i'd rather see the bombed out parts of bankhead/english ave/vine city start being cleaned up, if not necessarily gentrified. maybe it's getting better, i haven't gone through those areas in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post

yissss

one can dream.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:

I also feel that needs to be in the cards in the future as Midtown fills. Students will always have a place to live, there are many central cities, i.e. NY, Chicago, etc, that deal just fine with students still. Students don't need houses to live in though.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i'd rather see the bombed out parts of bankhead/english ave/vine city start being cleaned up, if not necessarily gentrified. maybe it's getting better, i haven't gone through those areas in years.

yissss

one can dream.
Major people are buying out Bankhead areas significantly especially around the Beltline parts.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:21 PM

https://imgur.com/a/4iOgRdH

don't know how to embed posts, but here's another link to the korean hwy!

Last edited by robertjhajek; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post

one can dream.
Cheonggyecheon in Seoul Korea, can't see that happening here, but it would be cool. I did not know it was a major thoroughfare. It was packed with people when I visited, similar to the beltline.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

atlanta: we treat all possible transportation modes with equal disregard

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Cheonggyecheon in Seoul Korea, can't see that happening here, but it would be cool. I did not know it was a major thoroughfare. It was packed with people when I visited, similar to the beltline.
If they ever cap the connector and put a linear park on top they could do a "creek" type water feature.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I went to Ga Tech from 1980 - 1985; very familiar w Home Park...this comment led me to pull up Zillow to take a gander at single family home prices there...

Yowza! 2 and 3 Br 1 Bath houses, under 1,000 SF, going for $400K+...lots of houses in the $5's, $6's & $7Ks.
Yep, developers are tearing down the miserable housing stock there, building ugly crap that sells for $500k, and the new SFH residents are off to the races with the same NIMBY crap they always do, pretending they live in Virginia Highland or something.

When I say "raze," to be clear, I mean establish zoning such that very intensive development can occur there. The handful of corners that are nice (mainly Hemphill) can be protected.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Yep, developers are tearing down the miserable housing stock there, building ugly crap that sells for $500k, and the new SFH residents are off to the races with the same NIMBY crap they always do, pretending they live in Virginia Highland or something.

When I say "raze," to be clear, I mean establish zoning such that very intensive development can occur there. The handful of corners that are nice (mainly Hemphill) can be protected.
Yes, if they just change the zoning for Home Park, I could see it transform quickly. Too much land that is right between major areas of development, AS, Midtown, West Midtown. At the least, we need residential density in the core of the city and that seems like a reasonable place for some of it to go.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Yes, if they just change the zoning for Home Park, I could see it transform quickly. Too much land that is right between major areas of development, AS, Midtown, West Midtown. At the least, we need residential density in the core of the city and that seems like a reasonable place for some of it to go.
This type of talk reminds me of the late 60s and 70s when black neighborhoods were bulldozed to make way for so-called urban renewal projects.

Now we have some privileged folks wanting to dismantle middle-class neighborhoods because Atlanta's urban core doesn't match up well with more densely populated northern cities.

Well one thing is damn near a guarantee: we'll all be six feet under by the time Home Park has anything that resembles a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post

Well one thing is damn near a guarantee: we'll all be six feet under by the time Home Park has anything that resembles a skyscraper.

I didn't see any mention of skyscrapers in Home Park but the neighborhood already has several buildings under construction of much higher density than SFHs. So please speak for yourself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations