HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I just hope this offseason the alouettes fire Kavis Reed, Joe Mack, Sherman and replace them with competent CFL front office and coaching. Paul Lapolice has proven he deserves another shot at being a head coach in this league. Imagine what Manziel could do if he had a half decent o-line and not the swiss cheese he has this year.
I don't see how firing all the Montreal staff and restarting (yet again) will help. The Als are finally showing some good signs of decent play again. Stability is what they need. This irrational Kavis Reed/Joe Mack hate is almost up to Rod Black levels.

I also can't understand why the hate for O'Shea but LaPo (the offensive coordinator) gets a free pass when the offense failed. I guess it comes down to the old credo the most popular guy is the backup goalie/QB/assistant coach.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
This irrational Kavis Reed/Joe Mack hate is almost up to Rod Black levels.

I also can't understand why the hate for O'Shea but LaPo (the offensive coordinator) gets a free pass when the offense failed. I guess it comes down to the old credo the most popular guy is the backup goalie/QB/assistant coach.
"Irrational" LOL. Joe Mack ruined the Bombers and he's doing the same to Montreal.

I agree that LaPo has a lot to answer for. The Bomber offence was lucky that the defence dominated that game, because their production on Saturday would not have been enough to win the game on its own. Granted they played it safe and avoided turnovers, but still, it would be damn hard to win it all with that kind of weak production, especially against a statistically poor defence.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
"Irrational" LOL. Joe Mack ruined the Bombers and he's doing the same to Montreal.
I agree he wasn't very successful with the Bombers (after being out of the game) but I see good signs going forward in Montreal, the defense is not too bad and if Manziel can kick start the offense, well...

I would be more worried about the HC's lack of CFL experience although he does have an experienced assistant.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:09 AM

Roughriders to bid on 2020 Grey Cup: Reynolds
3Down Staff October 1, 2018

The first Grey Cup game held at New Mosaic Stadium could be just two years away.

Roughrider president and CEO Craig Reynolds announced the club’s intention to bid on the 2020 Grey Cup game on 620 CKRM radio in Regina earlier today.

Saskatchewan last hosted a Grey Cup in 2013 with 44,710 fans in attendance. The Riders won that contest over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, a result they’d like to repeat in 2020 should they land the league’s championship game.

One potential obstacle could be geography. With Edmonton and Calgary set to host the 2018 and 2019 Grey Cups, respectively, a third consecutive championship in western Canada may not be desirable for the league.

Regardless, it appears that the Saskatchewan is ready to host another of our country’s biggest parties — and we know it’ll be a good one.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:55 AM

The Ti-Cats finally settled their stadium issues with the city of Hamilton. There is no excuse for them not to host in 2020. They're far overdue.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:51 PM

^ I agree, the CFL owes it to Hamilton. Sask would then be a shoo-in to host in 2021, which is only 8 years after the last time they hosted so not an excessively long wait.

On that note, I wonder when Montreal will get another shot? If Hamilton and Regina are awarded the next 2 games after Calgary, it will be pushing 15 years since Montreal's last time hosting.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
^ I agree, the CFL owes it to Hamilton. Sask would then be a shoo-in to host in 2021, which is only 8 years after the last time they hosted so not an excessively long wait.

On that note, I wonder when Montreal will get another shot? If Hamilton and Regina are awarded the next 2 games after Calgary, it will be pushing 15 years since Montreal's last time hosting.
Is the Big O still able to host a game? I don't think they'd want to have it at McGill.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Is the Big O still able to host a game? I don't think they'd want to have it at McGill.
I was at McGill the past weekend. Although quaint, there is no way you could hold a Grey Cup there.
AFAIK the Big O is still serviceable for football.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:49 PM

I thought they were replacing the roof at the Big O?

McGill is no one's idea of a great GC venue, but if the old stadiums in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Regina hosted the GC in the somewhat-recent past, then McGill could do it in a pinch. They could probably get capacity up to 30,000 with some temporary seats. Although I suppose they won't have to bother if the Big O gets a new roof.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:13 PM

I would suspect that Hamilton should get the 2020 Grey Cup, for the simple fact that Edmonton is hosting 2018 and Calgary is hosting 2019. It wouldn’t make sense to have another Grey Cup in the Prairie’s, 3 years in a row.

Hamilton would do a fantastic job too, the stadium would be rocking.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The new Big O roof is happening but it's probably about five years away.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The new Big O roof is happening but it's probably about five years away.
There we go, that's when Montreal will host again. Hopefully the Als will be a decent team again to generate fan interest for a good Grey Cup.

Two out of the last three GCs played in Winnipeg (1998 and 2015) have been during terrible Bomber seasons where there was no chance of them making it to the big game, and ticket sales were extremely slow as a result... it's a bit of a damper on the whole thing when that happens.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:10 PM

As far as I know, the Tiger-Cats have not submitted a bid to the CFL to host a GC since THF has been built and apparently Saskatchewan is preparing a bid for 2020. If the league didn't want the GC to be out of the East for 4 years Hamilton would be the only real option as Ottawa just hosted, one won't likely be in Toronto for another 8 years, and I'm sure the league would like to have the Als re-establish themselves in the Montreal sports scene before trying to sell a 60K plus stadium.

The bid process might be changing in the near future as I believe the league want's the GC to be more of a communal event for teams with respect to the costs and revenues being shared with all 9 (or 10) teams.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I thought they were replacing the roof at the Big O?

McGill is no one's idea of a great GC venue, but if the old stadiums in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Regina hosted the GC in the somewhat-recent past, then McGill could do it in a pinch. They could probably get capacity up to 30,000 with some temporary seats. Although I suppose they won't have to bother if the Big O gets a new roof.
Pretty sure you'll never see a GC at McGill, I don't think there is enough room to put enough temp seats to make it worthwhile.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:08 PM

^ Looks to me like there's a fair bit of room in the west endzone... 4,000 seats there and another 1,000 in the SE corner and there you go, 30,000.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:22 PM

Bombers won’t be bidding for 2020 Grey Cup
Drew Edwards 3downnation October 2, 2018

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will not be bidding on the 2020 Grey Cup.

A source within the organization confirmed the team will not be submitting a bid to host the CFL’s championship game and related festivities in three years time. The club last hosted the game in 2015, bringing $80 million in economic activity to the city and a $7.1 million profit for the club. Back in February, former Bomber player Steve Morley indicated the city would be chasing the 2020 game, though the club quickly refuted it.

The news comes on the heels of Monday’s report that the Saskatchewan Roughriders will be bidding to host the event in 2020.

With this year’s Grey Cup set to be held in Edmonton and the 2019 game scheduled for Calgary, holding the event in Regina would mean three straight in West Division cities. The 2017 Grey Cup was held in Ottawa.

Hamilton, which hasn’t held a Grey Cup since 1996, has been touted as a possible destination for 2020 as well. Owner Bob Young fired off a cryptic Tweet on Monday after news of the Saskatchewan bid became public.

https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/sta...60414427402240

This story will be updated.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:03 PM

^ The Bombers need to post at least a couple of solid winning seasons together before launching another Grey Cup bid. Getting slaughtered at the box office because no one wants $300 Grey Cup tickets when the home team is 4-14 would represent a huge missed opportunity.

If Regina and Hamilton do 2020 and 2021, then maybe we'll see Montreal and Vancouver host indoor Grey Cups in 2022 and 2023. I could then see Winnipeg bidding for 2024.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
^
If Regina and Hamilton do 2020 and 2021, then maybe we'll see Montreal and Vancouver host indoor Grey Cups in 2022 and 2023. I could then see Winnipeg bidding for 2024.
I think Montreal bidding will be dependent on what happens with the Big O renovation in regards to the World Cup 2026 bid. We also have to keep in mind that although it was a complete disaster, is MSLE and Toronto "owed" any more GC hosting as part of the sales deal

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Lewis Ward is continuing his amazing rookie season leading the league in field goals with 40. He broke the league record (32) with a consecutive field goal made streak of 37 (still going as of now). He has amazing missed only one field goal all season.
The amazing rookie Lewis Ward has just broken the consecutive field goal record with 40 (and counting)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:46 AM
Starring as himself

All's well that ends well for the Bombers. That was an enjoyable game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada