HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 7:19 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
LOL... The idea was not drinking establishments, and I said no movies or malls, and you listed:

One club, a movie theatre, 2 malls and a shopping street...
Well how about you name 5 activities you can do somewhere else but not in Vancouver at night? At this point with globalization how much different are the major cities from each other really? I mean, yes, with a bigger city you get slightly more variety, but you also get punished with higher cost of well just about everything.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Well how about you name 5 activities you can do somewhere else but not in Vancouver at night? At this point with globalization how much different are the major cities from each other really? I mean, yes, with a bigger city you get slightly more variety, but you also get punished with higher cost of well just about everything.
Yes I very much agree it is very difficult to name unique things in specific cities.

If you look at other large north american cities you can go to a lot more sporting events and a greater variety of sporting events at night. People that live in cities with MLB teams can go watch about 10-15 nights/month during the spring/summer/early fall months for example. Some cities have night museums, or nighttime tours etc. which we don't have. And many cities have much more live performances (jazz, comedy clubs, plays, etc.). However, it's not like Vancouver doesn't have these activities.

I was honestly more interested in society as a whole how we have very few activities at night that don't involve drinking.

To be honest I tried to think of a list for Vancouver and I came up with only 2 that seemed somewhat unique.

1) The Richmond Night Market
2) Beach get together or bonfire or just watching sunset on the beach (very few cities have as beautiful of sunsets as we do here).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 12:00 AM

What about Bard on the Beach? Also, a lot more municipalities are holding movie theatres at the local parks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 2:15 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
Yes I very much agree it is very difficult to name unique things in specific cities.

If you look at other large north american cities you can go to a lot more sporting events and a greater variety of sporting events at night. People that live in cities with MLB teams can go watch about 10-15 nights/month during the spring/summer/early fall months for example. Some cities have night museums, or nighttime tours etc. which we don't have. And many cities have much more live performances (jazz, comedy clubs, plays, etc.). However, it's not like Vancouver doesn't have these activities.

I was honestly more interested in society as a whole how we have very few activities at night that don't involve drinking.

To be honest I tried to think of a list for Vancouver and I came up with only 2 that seemed somewhat unique.

1) The Richmond Night Market
2) Beach get together or bonfire or just watching sunset on the beach (very few cities have as beautiful of sunsets as we do here).
Let me try (but again this is outdoor stuff):

- How about night skiing at Grouse Mt? That is not easy to get in a seaside city. And especially in a city of Vancouver size. You could in theory go surfing or yachting in the afternoon and ski at night if you wanted to push it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:22 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Mindnumbingly boring? Why, when I'm bored I just go outside and look at the view, and I find that's quite enough excitement for one day.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:37 AM

We live in Vegas. There are times we love being in Vancouver. So much greenery and nature.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:13 AM

For the records posting this also in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
This one seems to be making the rounds these days:

Video Link

I laughed.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_City View Post
We live in Vegas. There are times we love being in Vancouver. So much greenery and nature.
Even in good weather, don't you find Vancouver rather a city with nothing to do, in the city itself?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Even in good weather, don't you find Vancouver rather a city with nothing to do, in the city itself?
Deer Lake, Trout Lake, Burnaby Mountain, QE Park, the golf courses, University Endowment lands, Grouse, and plenty more

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Deer Lake, Trout Lake, Burnaby Mountain, QE Park, the golf courses, University Endowment lands, Grouse, and plenty more
Very true. We are endowed with nature so close and omnipresent. What about the night scene, shopping, city scene?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 7:43 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I think most of the 'most boring city' reputation is undeserved, and is stoked up by people that have never been here, and people that live here who are home town haters, or can't afford to have fun here so have lots of time to whine about it on the internet.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I think most of the 'most boring city' reputation is undeserved, and is stoked up by people that have never been here, and people that live here who are home town haters, or can't afford to have fun here so have lots of time to whine about it on the internet.
I think that is the point of the video. Making fun of the topic while displaying lots of cool and interesting things you can do in this town. Granted, we are an outdoors town, but there is nothing bad about it. Every city has its strengths and weaknesses.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion