HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:36 AM

I just read there was 2 metres of clearance between the top of the ship and the bridge! It also said they planned for months to get it here, it has been in service in Asia and renovated and is making its North American debut in Vancouver. They will continue to use it between Seattle and Alaska, looks like it won't be coming back. Did anyone go down and see it?

It has a full outdoor go-kart track on it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 7:34 AM

Whoa. Even Panamax ships get three metres of clearance (six total), and they need to go through a chain of shoeboxes.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 4:28 PM

I saw that ship departing on Friday evening. There was a helicopter hovering very close by, probably providing some guidance.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Raising the bridge isn't super feasible given that they can just build another cruise ship terminal elsewhere, which is much more likely I think. This article from 2013 discusses raising the bridge: http://www.vancouversun.com/cruise+s...017/story.html
If we had built a Third Crossing tunnel by now, we wouldn't have the problem. The Lions Gate Bridge could have been decommissioned.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If we had built a Third Crossing tunnel by now, we wouldn't have the problem. The Lions Gate Bridge could have been decommissioned.
Yeah, we're no sooner bulldozing the Lions Gate than Hotel Vancouver or the Sun Tower.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Yeah, we're no sooner bulldozing the Lions Gate than Hotel Vancouver or the Sun Tower.
Why? It was almost demolished in teh 1990's in favour of a replacement.

Every structure has a design life, specially one built in such a salt-rich, moist environment. Major maintenance will be required by 2030 and the lifespan with the year 2000 refurb was to extend it's life to 2050-60.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why? It was almost demolished in teh 1990's in favour of a replacement.

Every structure has a design life, specially one built in such a salt-rich, moist environment. Major maintenance will be required by 2030 and the lifespan with the year 2000 refurb was to extend it's life to 2050-60.
And yet it wasn't. The same people who stopped even the four-lane upgrade (and the people they influence) are still around.

I mean really, the Golden Gate's been around since the Thirties, and it's been retrofit and maintained since forever - nobody's even thought of retiring it. And why would they?

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:09 AM

Tokyo is everything you hear and more, so in love with the place, must go back. Oh its just fascinating, frustrating at times but just so great.

who's been?

Shibuya!
2019-05-17_08-44-29 by snub_you, on Flickr

2019-05-17_08-43-26 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:12 AM

Yeah, Tokyo is great. I should go back again. Next year would be interesting with Olympics and all.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 9:17 AM

yea they are really doing a lot in prep for them, upgrading a lot of stations etc. Its going to be nuts with so many extra people.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:44 AM

Firefighters quickly knock down apartment fire in Vancouver's West End

Flames and smoke could be seen billowing from a 15th floor balcony
CBC News · Posted: Jun 02, 2019 5:33 PM

Fire officials say the fire broke out on the 15th floor of an apartment building on Pacific Street at Jervis Street on Sunday afternoon. (Dragana Hajdukovic )

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-end-1.5159553

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:33 PM

Looked dramatic in television pictures as well. Did anyone see it live?

We thankfully have such major tower fires very rarely in this town. I can't remember the last one. I wonder if the sprinkler system was enough to put off the flames or was fire department mandatory?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

We thankfully have such major tower fires very rarely in this town. I can't remember the last one. I wonder if the sprinkler system was enough to put off the flames or was fire department mandatory?
If there was a sprinkler system? A lot of these old buildings along pacific don’t have one above the parkade.

This is one reason maintaining our old affordable rental stock is likely a death sentence for the poor. Most of the old lowrise wood buildings are match boxes with incredibly old aluminum wiring in the walls that is not properly insulated and has shrunk as it’s aged.

PS: also one reason why housing used to be much cheaper to build.

https://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/A...Assessment.php

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:

Ummm, no. That's like pissing on a car fire. I shudder at the future damage report.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:

It is an older building but a concrete one nevertheless, hence the fire didn't spread like the case of a wood building. It also likely didn't sustain the kind of structural damage as a wooden structure would.

In fact, I heard that many of the tenants with units further away were able to return the same evening.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:35 AM

While I was taking these pics I saw a guy come out onto his balcony on about the 5th floor on the corner of the building closest to the camera in the second pic. He looked around and then went back in. So yes, I think some residents were able to go back to their homes.

June 3 '19, my pics

fullsizeoutput_8063
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_8064
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_8068
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_806c
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_806d
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_806e
by mcminsen, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:35 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
While I was taking these pics I saw a guy come out onto his balcony on about the 5th floor on the corner of the building closest to the camera in the second pic. He looked around and then went back in. So yes, I think some residents were able to go back to their homes.

Shame, That would be awful. The intensity of the fire was suspicious though, like it was a meth lab explosion. That is also one of my favorite buildings in the West End. Is the lobby still original? It was when I lived there 10 years ago with a sculptural fountain out front.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Shame, That would be awful. The intensity of the fire was suspicious though, like it was a meth lab explosion. That is also one of my favorite buildings in the West End. Is the lobby still original? It was when I lived there 10 years ago with a sculptural fountain out front.
Scarily enough, the cause of the fire seems quite innocuous. Linseed oil is often used on wooden patio furniture:

Oil-soaked rags cause of weekend West End apartment fire

...Vancouver Fire and Rescue Captain Jonathan Gormick says after interviewing both the occupants of the suite in which the fire ignited and those living nearby, he can with “absolute certainty” say the fire was caused by improperly stored oil-soaked rags.

“The occupants had allegedly been using using rags to stain some furniture, and balled them up and put them on the corner of the balcony,” he says. “Natural oils like linseed oil are self-heating, so when they are balled up and not allowed to release the heat that’s given off they can self-combust.”...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/06...ked-rags-fire/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 9:22 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:03 AM

Vancouver City Hall Sprinkler System "Test"

Quote:
I think it’s safe to say today’s meeting of Vancouver ‘s Urban Design Panel is officially cancelled
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/1144031268939583489

Quote:
A member of city staff accidentally knocked one of the sprinklers with a project board as they were setting up for the second review. The entire building had to be evacuated and several of the info boards and models got rather wet.
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/1144034998636486656

Quote:
Here's the scene from earlier today once people were let back into Vancouver City Hall. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to grab photos of the building models, but I later heard, unlike the project boards, they are generally fine.
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/1144088869605793792

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion