HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:41 AM

It is sad that Thunder Bay is making their downtown better; meanwhile, Sudbury is trying to kill it.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:16 AM
Transit Geek

Is Sudbury demolishing historical buildings in its city centre??

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Is Sudbury demolishing historical buildings in its city centre??
Historical buildings?

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Historical buildings?
So there aren’t that many. Why did you say Sudbury’s killing its downtown though?? Poor planning?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
So there aren’t that many. Why did you say Sudbury’s killing its downtown though?? Poor planning?
Everyone complains about parking. They feel the KED will have free spacious parking.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:33 AM

Even people in Timmins still complain about parking downtown even though there is lots available because so many businesses have moved or closed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:09 PM
Urban Fanactic

Just recently saw this, could be big for the city if it actually happens. It does rely on the provinces decision on road infrastructure to the ring of fire.

Great Lakes port swayed Noront in picking Sault for ferrochrome plant.

From: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-plant-1434922
Quote:
Though the ribbon cutting for the processor remains years away - with a mid-2025 groundbreaking followed by a three-year build - with it comes the promise of 300 to 500 direct jobs and spinoffs of more than 1,000 indirect industrial supply jobs.

The completion of the plant coincides with Noront's start of commercial production at its proposed Blackbird chromite mine project in the James Bay region in mid-2028.

But what worked in the Sault's favour, Coutts said, was having access to a Great Lakes port to cheaply float in supplies and raw materials like coal and various fluxes for the facility, and ship outbound ferrochrome product to stainless steel producers in the U.S. Algoma Steel could possibly be interested on making stainless steel as well.

Here's the current timeline:

in 2020, there will be a preliminary economic assessment of Noront's plan to bring chromite mined from the Ring of Fire's Blackbird chromite deposit to the Sault for processing
in 2022, Noront will prepare a prefeasibility study and negotiate an updated tenancy agreement
in 2024, the focus will be on a feasibility study and environmental assessment examining factors including meteorology, air quality, noise, vibration, light, geology, hydrology, geochemistry, terrestrial vegetation, wildlife, soil, aquatic environment, water, sediment quality and human impacts
in 2025, further project permits and funding approvals will close with construction initiated
in 2028, Sault Ste. Marie's new ferrochrome processing facility will be commissioned
Read more here: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-plant-1434922

Old Posted Today, 3:48 AM

It was between the Sault and Timmins for that plant. But many people are definitely wondering if it will actually happen. I really hope so.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario