HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...503-story.html

Architecture critic's take on proposed One Central complex near Soldier Field: A mix of audacious and dubious

Blair KaminBlair KaminContact ReporterChicago Tribune
This is one location where high rise/skyscraper development like this is aesthetically lacking. From the prelims it looks completely overbearing to the Soldier Field campus and lakefront. Stay tuned, I guess.

Last edited by bhawk66; May 6, 2019 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:30 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this...

I found myself at a condo building on Kingsbury today and on every ledge (private apartments, public spaces, etc) were these steel brackets and I hook things...

I can't think of what they could be used for other than anchoring a dirigible ESB style.

Anyone know?
That's got to be for the window washing plank and hoist. I can't think of any other reason for something like that.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 2:00 PM

That makes a lot of sense Busy Bee. That was driving me insane trying to think out what they were for. Thanks!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:39 PM

City breaks ground on new Damen Green Line station, opening date slips to 2021

Link

Quote:
By Jay Koziarz, Curbed

On Friday, Chicago officially broke ground on new Green Line station at the intersection of Lake Street and Damen Avenue on the city’s Near West Side. Designed by architecture firm Perkins + Will, the facility will fill a more than a one-mile gap in service between the existing Green Line stops at California and Ashland.

In addition to serving local businesses and providing area residents improved access to work and school, the station will give crowds attending events at the nearby United Center a new and much-needed mass transit option.

The ADA-accessible project was designed to be open and intuitive to use with a grand staircase and escalator easily visible through its transparent facade. Inside, noted local artist Folayemi Wilson will design a new mural for the space and a glass bridge supported by bright green trusses will connect inbound and outbound platforms.

Does anyone think East Garfield Park will a good investment in 10-20 years? Is the neighborhood changing?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:25 AM

We did a short trip to Chicago this weekend, and...when did the sidewalks on Lake around Damen get so nice? Is it basically for the new station they're going to build?

Also - truly amazed everytime I'm back how much more of a scene West Loop becomes. Some streets just feel completely different than even 2 years ago there, and there's still way more coming. Even where PQM is - just feels way different now versus just a few years ago. Crazy to think about and to think about what it's like now versus just 5 years ago and what it might be in a year or two.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
[B]

Does anyone think East Garfield Park will a good investment in 10-20 years? Is the neighborhood changing?
I think everyone believes that East Garfield Park is on the short list of places that might be soon getting more attention and investment. It's got transit access, some great building stock and adjacency to booming neighborhoods.

On the other hand there's not much history in Chicago of majority black neighborhoods receiving much developer attention and investment, so who knows if that will change in the coming years?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:12 PM

^^
Depends.. whose ward is it?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
^^
Depends.. whose ward is it?
Burnett's ward. One of the main reasons, he tells the West Loop complainers to take a hike is because East Garfield is full of black homeowners who would love some more gentrification headed their way. They're a very entrepreneurial bunch when given the opportunity.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Burnett's ward. One of the main reasons, he tells the West Loop complainers to take a hike is because East Garfield is full of black homeowners who would love some more gentrification headed their way. They're a very entrepreneurial bunch when given the opportunity.
Really? That's interesting (and reassuring)

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Really? That's interesting (and reassuring)
At its core, Gentrification is a homeowner vs renter debate, not a racial debate. Many African-Americans bought East Garfield Park properties at the height of the boom in the aughts and are still underwater on their mortgages. They want their home values to go up and nice restaurants and more diversity. The renters disagree, but in Garfield Park they're not particularly active voters.

Not to mention, Burnett also represents the residents of Cabrini-Greene who give not one iota about West Side development.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:52 PM

Renters want low rents, which depends on large supply and new construction.
First time home buyers want lower prices, which depends also on large supply.
Long time home buyers who want to cash out want the opposite, restricted supply. But that then puts them on the hook for higher property taxes.

It's all about balance. Homeowners don't want to be forced out of their homes by either development or property taxes, renters want a place to live that they can afford.
Everyone is best served by building dense on all the available open land the city has.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 9:25 PM

More insight into this situation:

"... housing prices in the top cities in 1980 were 25 percent higher than other cities in 1980; by 2016, they were more almost three times as high.

It might not seem surprising that housing is more expensive when everyone wants to move to a city. This simply reflects the basic law of supply and demand. However, housing is much more expensive than it has to be in prosperous cities because of a mechanism interfering with the unfettered operation of the housing market: zoning regulations. Throughout the United States, local regulations restrict the use of land in ways that make it impossible to provide the supply of housing that is required to meet its demand. This means that as areas grow, more and more workers are bidding for a limited set of places to live reasonably close to the cities where the good jobs are located.

The United States is relatively unique in having land use under local control, as opposed to national land-planning agencies in places like the UK and France. The problem this raises is that existing owners have an incentive to restrict housing supply, both to increase the local amenities (such as by having height restrictions on buildings to make the skyline more appealing) and to keep house prices high."

Via Simon Johnson on Linkedin

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 11:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Technically EGP only extends east to Rockwell. This area with the new station is officially "Near West Side" but since that also includes the boujee parts of West Loop, I've also heard this area called "West Haven" which was originally an attempt to re-brand after the destruction of Henry Horner Homes. Most residents just say they live on the West Side, lol.

My girlfriend lives over here... galleyfox is correct that this area has a relatively strong black middle class of homeowners and a lot of well-maintained properties. A lot of the vacant lots actually got developed before the recession, so it feels a lot more complete than other parts of the West Side although plenty of vacant lots still remain.

I would compare it to The Gap area of Bronzeville. Historically this part of the West Side was the home of the Black Panthers in Chicago, including the site of their community outreach programs and (sadly) the building where Fred Hampton was slain.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 11:43 PM

As my earlier post touched on, we were over at Lake & Damen this weekend while in town for a handful of hours. I know some of the development in West Loop is inching towards there with the office high rise going up at Ashland. I haven't been over there in awhile, but the sidewalks were all new and nice and the area was actually nice. Number of breweries - Goose Island, Finch, Great Central as well as Rhine Hall Distillery and Eden restaurant near there. It could actually turn into an interesting area and part of that kind of reminds me of parts of my current neighborhood Long Island City in Queens. We hit up a few breweries and they were hopping.

So point being, if that area around the Damen stop takes off once a new stop is there then I could totally see maybe in 10+ years EGP finally getting some of this wave. After going over there, I'm actually kind of excited for the potential of the area, especially when the new transit stop opens.

On a side note, met some people who have been living in Humboldt Park for a long time. I asked them about what they thought about all the new construction and said "We love it!" LOL Not everyone there is anti gentrification. I suspect their family actually owns their home, but still. They were completely open arms to the gentrification.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:43 AM

Reifman resigned today. I'm very curious who Lightfoot will choose for the DPD.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/pl...michael-reese/

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 7:03 PM

Crawford in process of being demolished. Still think its unfortunate theyre not saving this historic elements

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Interesting nugget in this interview:

Quote:
On Monday, Reifman disclosed there is a “long-term idea” to build a soccer stadium on the site that could be the future home of the Fire, if the professional soccer team that currently plays at SeatGeek Stadium in Bridgeview returns to Chicago.

“It could be a location for the stadium. … It could be a piece of the puzzle for Michael Reese. But, there are a lot of pieces of the puzzle for Michael Reese. Michael Reese is a large site, multi-phased development. It will need multiple uses to be successful,” Reifman said.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 8:17 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

My emphatic vote would be for not another real estate attorney.

How about, I don’t know - I’m straight spitballing here - someone with planning expertise?

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
My emphatic vote would be for not another real estate attorney.

How about, I don’t know - I’m straight spitballing here - someone with planning expertise?
It would help if the Department of PLANNING and Development actually did some planning. Give the department some teeth!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:21 AM

^^^ If Lightfoot is serious about perogative, this is an excellent chance to start rebuilding the bureaucracy to move away from aldermanic power and the property tax racket. Would do her well to purge the Landmark committee while she is at it and install some real professionals in relevant fields instead of former assessors and other machine stooges.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development