HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 5:21 PM
THAT Guy

1230 W Washington

More of Fulton East, aka 215 N Peoria

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 5:58 PM

Nice infill! This neighborhood never ceases to amaze me.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:20 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
^ Not bad, POAH is a good developer. Unlike Bickerdike, Ramirez Rosa's buddies, that he's giving a $3.5M lot of land to for $0 plus multiple millions in other subsidy not even including the Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit.
I don't have a problem with Bickerdike, nor the structure of the Logan Square deal. I'd rather have the city look for opportunities like this to pursue 100% affordable housing developments, than burden for-profit developers with 15% or 20% affordable mandates and therefore end up with a lot fewer new housing units overall as projects fail to pencil out.

Also, LIHTC is great but is wildly inadequate for the scope of the problem... I'd like to see the program doubled or tripled in size. Section 8 should be expanded to an entitlement program available to all who qualify, instead of having a fixed number of vouchers available...

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:30 AM

At least I can say I walked past this thing and hardly noticed it...

ground looked torn up across the street, plus it's fenced in, anyone know if there's been recent movement on this puppy?

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
ground looked torn up across the street, plus it's fenced in, anyone know if there's been recent movement on this puppy?
None. The work you see is for improved bike paths, but to my knowledge, nothing has happened on this site. There's a pizza place that supposedly is opening in February 2020 but that's near impossible given the condition of the site today.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:21 PM
Urbane observer

Some equipment appeared for a day or two a couple of months back, and piled up some broken concrete slabs on the Roots Pizza site. I thought that might have been to support a crawler crane—but they usually use brickbats for that. At any rate, nothing further occurred. About six weeks ago, visiting a reprographics place I use, I spotted a roll of plans for the building. No other info, though.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't have a problem with Bickerdike, nor the structure of the Logan Square deal. I'd rather have the city look for opportunities like this to pursue 100% affordable housing developments, than burden for-profit developers with 15% or 20% affordable mandates and therefore end up with a lot fewer new housing units overall as projects fail to pencil out.
Agree

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There are currently 60 or so spaces in the existing parking lot. Sure, it'd be great to have zero spaces, but I'll take a reduction of nearly 50% over existing spaces. At least some of the new spaces will no doubt be for the commercial units.

Personally, I'm much more disappointed to see them not maximizing the number of residential units next to a train station.

My father turns 74 this year and I was just talking to him within the past week about driving versus taking transit. Despite the fact that most of his life he's lived in semi-rural areas where transit isn't even an option, he spent about a decade long-distance commuting from Boise to the Bay Area. And, of course, he's visited me here in Chicago where I don't even own a car, and my youngest brother in Seattle, and my middle brother and I have both travelled in Europe with him, mostly using transit when there in London, Paris, Oslo, Stockholm, and other European cities.

He said he much prefers transit to driving. In fact, he said that until he's physically unable to do the walking associated with transit, he will strongly prefer to take transit (even over Uber/Lyft/taxis) to events whenever available as an option because then he doesn't have to fight traffic or pay through the nose to be driven (and, no, he's not low-income in his retirement), plus he likes feeling part of the city when using transit and being able to see things along the way.

Like my brothers and I, my dad isn't the stereotypical American in many ways, but he's still a "car guy," and in many ways embedded into American car culture yet he still not only is okay taking transit but prefers it. So, I think you may underestimate the ability and willingness of Boomers to take transit when properly motivated and/or it's the best option. Plus, Uber/Lyft/taxis will always still be available and more convenient than self-driving in many ways anyway.
Agreed, my parents are both pretty typical boomers and suburban at that and they much prefer transit/uber when they come downtown. Part of that is that the idea of parking in the city is annoying to them since it can be so expensive and limited near the types of places they go.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:44 PM
Windy City Dan

1230 W Washington

Oh man, I love this one. That exact building, 3rd floor, is where I got my career in Chicago started. I've always loved the outside and it's a minor tragedy that it's currently a self storage. The details on this building are really nice, so I'm glad to see someone isn't just opting to tear it down like they did to that gem across the street.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Some equipment appeared for a day or two a couple of months back, and piled up some broken concrete slabs on the Roots Pizza site. I thought that might have been to support a crawler crane—but they usually use brickbats for that. At any rate, nothing further occurred. About six weeks ago, visiting a reprographics place I use, I spotted a roll of plans for the building. No other info, though.
I think that should probably to "rumored" Roots Pizza site. In 2018 they announced that they're "beginning construction" on a site. Nothing happening on THAT corner. There was an amusing incident with graffiti recently (seen on some of the pics) blue paint splashed all over the side of the building to the North. The city sent out there crew with spray bottles which reached maybe 1/3 of it - they left and the rest is still there.

To the building across the street. I like it - nice infill (especially if the rumor that the space can't support many stories is true. This seems odd, since there are much taller buildings right next door. There will be commercial use on the group floor, the brickwork is well done and blends in to the hood. it's OK for what it is.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes and no - with the Uptown opening, there's gonna be even more parking demand in addition to the Aragon and the Riv.

For the caliber of entertainment they're looking at for the Uptown, they may decide they need to build a parking structure on that lot next to the Red Line, once the CTA finishes rebuilding the station. The Millennials going to see shows at the Aragon and the Riv may be willing to Uber or take CTA, but the Boomers going to classic-rock and comedy acts at the Uptown will want to drive.
by the time this reno is actually wrapped up boomers arent going to be a concert going demographic.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:58 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
by the time this reno is actually wrapped up boomers arent going to be a concert going demographic.
Are you kidding me?

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are looking great these days! Keith Richards even said that he's going to cut down on his drinking.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
cheers to that

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
[B]
Now that the park/river walk at Southbranch is moving ahead with very solid visual progress, anyone have an idea when the next tower may break ground. I really thought it would be this year. Or for that matter, the first tower at Riverline? Lendlease and CMK certainly have a bunch on their plates, but time’s a ticken.....

PS great tour as always, Harry

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:03 PM

Cross-posting from the politics thread. Here's the executive order Lightfoot just signed to end aldermanic prerogative: https://www.scribd.com/document/4108...-5-20-19-FINAL

Quote:
3. Reform Aldermanic Prerogative

a. As soon as practicable, no department shall defer to aldermanic prerogative in their decision-making practice unless expressly required by the Municipal Code of Chicago. Each department shall update any and all department procedures, practices, and materials to reflect this change no later than 60 days following this Order. Each department shall submit a report describing these changes, as provided in Section 4.c. Nothing in this Order affects department decisions that took effect prior to the date of this Order.

b. Nothing in this Order shall be construed to prevent aldermen from submitting input to departments regarding decision-making.

c. When engaged in decision-making, departments shall consider aldermanic input as an important source of information, but shall not be bound by that input or by any attempt by an alderman to otherwise exercise aldermanic prerogative over decision-making.

d. Whenever a department receives input from an alderman in a decision-making practice that does not require deference to aldermanic prerogative as a matter of law, any such input must be memorialized in writing.
It looks like aldermen still have power in zoning, but won't have the power to block other zoning changes in their ward.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:38 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
It looks like aldermen still have power in zoning, but won't have the power to block other zoning changes in their ward.
Not sure if I follow this.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Not sure if I follow this.
From my interpretation, aldermen can still make zoning changes in their ward on their own discretion. But now, if a developer or homeowner wants to upzone a plot of land, then aldermen can no longer veto the project and block the zoning change. If this interpretation is true, this is a huge start to dismantling aldermen control of zoning

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:05 PM
you know where I'll be

215 N Peoria

Just want to say, I love this Fulton East design.

As ever, from a planning perspective, it’s silly. I wonder if under Lightfoot, Chicago might form a Department of Planning?

One can dream.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:44 PM

1230 W Washington is a great fit for the West Loop Nice blend of new & old. Thanks for sharing, Spyguy.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
From my interpretation, aldermen can still make zoning changes in their ward on their own discretion. But now, if a developer or homeowner wants to upzone a plot of land, then aldermen can no longer veto the project and block the zoning change. If this interpretation is true, this is a huge start to dismantling aldermen control of zoning
No, any zoning change requires a vote by the city council and whether or not they lend special deference to the Alderman of that ward is up to their discretion.

This applies to other decisions that are made administratively.
ZBA on special uses and variations, BACP on business licenses otherwise permitted in that zoning district, CDoT for curb cuts and patios, Landmarks, and DoB on the ten day permit hold,

For the most part this is already how it is. These bodies listen respectfully to what the alderman has to say, but make their own decisions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development