HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 8:52 PM

Google Timelapse

Wasn't sure where to put this, exactly; it would seem to apply to the developments, general and photos section, so we'll go with here for now.

Time and Google have put together this project. It uses up to 30 years of satellite imagery to create a timelapse view of a given location:

http://world.time.com/timelapse/

Go to 'Explore the World', and you can see Halifax if you search for it.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this, exactly; it would seem to apply to the developments, general and photos section, so we'll go with here for now.

Time and Google have put together this project. It uses up to 30 years of satellite imagery to create a timelapse view of a given location:

http://world.time.com/timelapse/

Go to 'Explore the World', and you can see Halifax if you search for it.
The interesting thing for me is that while there has been some of the much-debated "sprawl", the extent of that is fairly minimal overall, and there is substantial land untouched far closer to the peninsula than that which has already been developed.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:29 AM

The destruction of Point Pleasant Park is quite evident in this, very interesting.

As for the amount of urban sprawl, I wasn't sure what would be considered a lot, but comparing the time lapse in Halifax to those of Oshawa and St. Catharines, cities of similar population (currently), it appears that there is considerably more sprawl in HRM.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:36 AM

Vancouver is interesting--despite its reputation as a compact city, White Rock and Langley and Abbotsford are all visible doing quite a bit of farmland chewing on here.

Toronto's interesting too. It doesn't look too bad, but if you scroll up a bit and observe what happened above the 407, it's intense.

And not to ruffle any feathers, but as much as Halifax visibly grew outward, Moncton really look to be the sprawl kings of Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
And not to ruffle any feathers, but as much as Halifax visibly grew outward, Moncton really look to be the sprawl kings of Atlantic Canada.
A title which I'd be more than happy to let them have

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligonian88 View Post
The destruction of Point Pleasant Park is quite evident in this, very interesting.
You can also see the effects of the Spryfield fire a few years ago.

This is an amazing resource.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Indeed, Moncton is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Thanks for noticing.....

I agree with Hailistreaks though, it would be nice if our growth were a little more vertical and a little less horizontal.

This is truly an amazing resource and it is interesting also to look at the changes in the natural world over time as well as the growth of cities. As Haligonian88 noted, you can easily appreciate the hurricane induced blowdown in Point Pleasant Park. This was easily one of the greatest natural disasters in Halifax in the recent past. I vividly remember visiting Point Pleasant for the first time when I moved to Halifax in 1979 and being so impressed by the towering pine forest. We had nothing like that it PEI where I grew up. It makes me very sad to think I will never see anything like that again in my lifetime.

Here in Moncton, you can see the changes in the Petitcodiac River since the causeway gates have opened. The river channel is widening and straightening and it is possible that the meander in front of Bore View Park might disappear in the next 20-30 years if this continues.

On PEI, if you look at the barrier dunes on the north shore, it is really enlightening to see the ends of some of the barrier islands literally melting away, but with sand deposited in new areas down the shore. You can also appreciate breakthroughs in the barrier islands, and when they occur, the deposition of sand in the salt water lagoons in behind.

It gives a whole new meaning to the term "geologic time"........

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

This may sound a bit funny, but on my computer screen I can't seem to find the "explore the world" tab? lol

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:29 PM

It seems to me that Halifax filled in quite a bit - so it's hard to tell what the 'sprawl' really is, since all the area around Hemlock Revine is a natural 'filling in' of an area. That said, I think we all know what the sprawl areas are

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
This may sound a bit funny, but on my computer screen I can't seem to find the "explore the world" tab? lol
It's to the right of 'Las Vegas'. Bottom right. If you don't see it, it could be because your browser window is too small. It doesn't scale well, so it gets cut off if there's not enough room. If you're just working with a small monitor, you can use ctrl+scroll to resize text in a browser. Zoom out until everything fits.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General