HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:34 AM

Public Housing in Dartmouth

Public housing/ housing projects in Dartmouth? In Halifax I know of several but where are they in Dartmouth if any?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:30 AM

There's an area just north of the Bridge Terminal in Dartmouth that I believe is public housing. Alderney Manor in DT Dartmouth is/was public housing and was previously geared towards seniors but no longer is AFAIK. I'm not really sure about the rest of Dartmouth. There is more in terms of lower-rent non-public stuff in Dartmouth but little in terms of actual public housing. Overall rental rates are just lower in Dartmouth and land there, I would imagine, was plentiful and cheap back in the 50s through 70s, the main era during which the major public housing projects were built (both in Halifax and across North America). I'd guess that there just wasn't much demand for it in Dartmouth during that time period, and that kind of project doesn't really get built anymore. Many of the "newer" cities in Canada (Calgary being a good example) have a disproportionately low supply of public housing.

The area north of Shannon Park is privately owned but was originally government-built (military?) housing and has a strong physical resemblance to the major public housing projects on the Halifax side.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
There's an area just north of the Bridge Terminal in Dartmouth that I believe is public housing. Alderney Manor in DT Dartmouth is/was public housing and was previously geared towards seniors but no longer is AFAIK.

Not that public housing is usually very nice, but those two you noted are quite bad these days. The Jellybean Square housing has always been bad for drug dealing and violence as it is a Dartmouth version of Uniacke Square, the kind of public housing that isn't being built any more, although that seems to have settled down somewhat more recently. Most of the units are not in good repair. Alderney is infested with pests due to poor maintenance and there is ongoing conflict between the seniors who have lived there long term and the new social housing residents, some of whom have behavioral problems. Last year one of the elevators was out of service for months, inexcusable for most buildings but not unusual for NS Housing authority facilities.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:50 PM

Metropolitan Regional Housing Authority is the entity that oversees public housing in HRM. There are multiple locations on both sides of the Harbour

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 8:59 PM

Where is this "jelly bean square". Are there other places like it?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General