HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 9:02 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Question WPG to become an NHL city again?

MTS Centre boost to NHL hopes: Doer

By ROCHELLE SQUIRES, LEGISLATURE REPORTER

Winnipeg Sun - Jan.27 2007

Winnipeg is better poised to become an NHL city again because of the new MTS Centre, says Premier Gary Doer.

"We have now a new entertainment complex, which has the luxury box seats and has proven to be an economic success in Winnipeg," Doer said yesterday. "It's now producing a number of events besides hockey and that is important."

Doer was responding to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's assertion that Winnipeg could now likely support an NHL team.

"I believe, in an ideal world under the partnership we have with the players and the salary cap, that Winnipeg probably could support an NHL team," Bettman told Hockey Night in Canada host Ron MacLean on Wednesday.

Doer said there are a number of teams in the southern U.S. that are in trouble, and Winnipeg could offer the solution.

"We have two things going for us now. One, which we've always had, is hockey fans. And we have the new entertainment complex," said Doer.

A sly grin crossed Doer's face when asked by reporters if the province has had recent conversations with a hockey franchise about relocating.

"Any questions like that are better directed to (Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chipman)," said Doer.

University of Manitoba economist John McCallum said an improved economy in the province and surrounding region, as well as a salary cap for players, has made it more realistic for the city to support an NHL team.

"We are big enough and robust enough to support this kind of endeavour, especially with the controls they have on it now. We supported it once, and I think the terms are better now," said McCallum.

"I think we have the economic muscle to do this, if the people want it."

It's alive! It's alive!
Life being breathed into dream of 'Peg NHL team

By TOM BRODBECK

WINNIPEG SUN NEWS Saturday, January 27, 2007

The dream of Winnipeg getting a National Hockey League team isn't just "still alive" as our front-page shouted out yesterday, following comments made by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman this week.

The dream has been inching closer every year over the past several years. So much so that even some of the skeptics in the local sports media world are jumping on the bring-back-the-Jets bandwagon -- acknowledging at least that bringing the NHL back to the 'Peg is now a possibility.

Talk of the NHL returning to Winnipeg was re-ignited in 2003 after the financially strapped Pittsburgh Penguins began musing about relocation.

We got our first boost when hockey sportscaster John Davidson suggested at the time that Winnipeg would be a good place for the Penguins to move. It wasn't much.

But it gave the corpse its first pulse.

Then, former Winnipeg Jets general manager John Ferguson said he believed the city, with its new downtown arena, could "definitely" attract an NHL club.

A year later, Hockey Night in Canada guru Ron MacLean said he believed Winnipeg could have an NHL team within five years.

That got the pulse beating a little faster.

Like now, NHL hockey was not selling well in a number of U.S. markets. And the thinking in 2003 was that if the stars aligned just right, maybe -- just maybe -- Winnipeg could pick up a team.

But there was still a major stumbling block, the same one that was largely responsible for the Jets leaving Winnipeg in the first place: run-away player salaries that long-ago priced this city out of the marketplace.

FALSE HOPES

Everyone agreed that without a salary cap and revenue sharing, it would be impossible to bring the NHL back to a city like Winnipeg.

The skeptics said it was dangerous to even talk about the NHL returning to Winnipeg because all it did was raise false hopes.

We were just setting ourselves up for disappointment, they said.

But then came the NHL lockout, the bitter infighting and, eventually, a new collective bargaining agreement that included a salary cap and revenue sharing.

Suddenly, a whole new world opened up for Winnipeg. Even the skeptics were forced to take a closer look.

We now had "cost certainty," as Manitoba Moose president Mark Chipman said, which allowed him and his colleagues to start doing some arithmetic on this baby.

Still, the league would never have us, the skeptics said. Gary Bettman hates us and wants nothing to do with another Canadian team.

But then, this week, the sea parted a little more.

"Even though we haven't done the homework, I believe, in an ideal world under the partnership we have with the players and the salary cap, that Winnipeg probably could support an NHL team," Bettman said on CBC-TV during the NHL all-star game.

The last time I heard Bettman utter the word "Winnipeg" is when he virtually wrote us off in 2004, saying the league had nothing to offer Winnipeg.

Tell me we haven't made any progress on this file.

The next day Chipman -- who would have to be at the centre of any new NHL team in Winnipeg -- released a statement which said he, too, believes Winnipeg could support a team.

"Mr. Bettman's assessment is consistent with the conclusions we have arrived at after examining the NHL's new framework for ourselves," said Chipman.

Hey now.

Even the skeptics had to climb aboard now, saying maybe it's worth keeping the dream alive after all.

Uh, huh.

Winnipeg is still miles away from getting an NHL team.

But we're miles ahead of where we were four years ago.

And that's something to get excited about.

Even for the skeptics.

Everyone keep your finger's crossed!

Last edited by Shodan; Jan 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 1:56 PM

Ah thats great i hope its works out, and then we can bring teams back to quebec and hamilton, maybe halifax who seems interrested

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 3:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I have to admit, Bettman's comments during the All-Star game just about made me fall off my chair. I've NEVER heard him say a single positive thing about Winnipeg, EVER.

Quebec City will never get a team back - no one cared when they left, no one has since tried to revive hockey there. Hell, wasn't there some big international tournament cancelled due to lack of interest in QC?

Halifax is an interesting one - there should be enough population in the Maritimes willing to drive all the time to support a small team, but would there be enough corporate support (the trend of this decade)?

I think someone needs to work out just what TV revenue is worth to an NHL franchise. With 24 American teams I think they may attract an average of 18 viewers per week. A Winnipeg franchise would attract a quarter million per game in the city, and hell, a LOT of former Winnipegers and just Canadians in general... I bet Jets games would be some of the most watched, for a while.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 3:58 PM
Movin' on up

Mmmmmmmmmmm............................................... daddy likes!

But let's wait and see.

Now we wait for the usual positive, upbeat comments made by our favorite Ottawa forum member lol.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 28, 2007 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:10 PM

Thanks Gary. Now we're going to have to listen to another round of Jets fans trying to grasp onto every little straw that is out there in hopes of bringing back the team despite a lack of corporate support, population base, and a legitimate NHL sized arena. This city would be struggling every year to just keep up in today's NHL and things are pretty good right now. What happens when the dollar tanks again or the league get's another bargaining agreement that skyrockets salaries? Bye-Bye Jets Round 2, thats what.

I don't necessarly blame people for hoping to get their hockey back, but boy, it sure is not fun to watch for the rest of us.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:23 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Thanks Gary. Now we're going to have to listen to another round of Jets fans trying to grasp onto every little straw that is out there in hopes of bringing back the team despite a lack of corporate support, population base, and a legitimate NHL sized arena. This city would be struggling every year to just keep up in today's NHL and things are pretty good right now. What happens when the dollar tanks again or the league get's another bargaining agreement that skyrockets salaries? Bye-Bye Jets Round 2, thats what.

I don't necessarly blame people for hoping to get their hockey back, but boy, it sure is not fun to watch for the rest of us.

If you say so; I guess the poor little Winnipeggers can't afford (or maybe don't deserve) to watch our national sport like NYC, eh? .................. I'm betting you are a flames fan, right?

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 28, 2007 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

meh

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:30 PM

Well, it isn't always fun to watch other cities stuggle with its issues... sports or non sports issues... but it's not very classy to complain about it.

I can find/list a lot of things about NY city that I don't like. You want to talk about painful to watch...???

So please don't try to step on Winnipeg b/c we are showing some civic pride.

Note
(this is my first post on this web-site... I have been reading this forum for at least of couple of years now... I enjoy the commentary very much... I never planned on ever posting... but I think it is time more Winnipeggers stand up for Winnipeg. The reality is that Winnipeg is a better place to call home then many other cities. So when I saw the above comment, I just had to push back...)

thanks

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:34 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_Winnipegger View Post
Well, it isn't always fun to watch other cities stuggle with its issues... sports or non sports issues... but it's not very classy to complain about it.

I can find/list a lot of things about NY city that I don't like. You want to talk about painful to watch...???

Note
(this is my first post on this web-site... I have been reading this forum for at least of couple of years now... I enjoy the commentary very much... I never planned on ever posting... but I think it is time more Winnipeggers stand up for Winnipeg. The reality is that Winnipeg is a better place to call home then many other cities. So when I saw the above comment, I just had to push back...)

thanks

Fully agree, mon ami.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
If you say so; I guess the poor little Winnipeggers can't afford (or maybe don't deserve) to watch our national sport like NYC, eh? .................. I'm betting you are a flames fan, right?
yeah, thats it. winnipeg wont get an NHL team because i'm a flames fan.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

welcome sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_Winnipegger View Post
Civic pride is one thing. Banging your head against the wall is completely different. There are so many issues that are working against Winnipeg getting an NHL team, I really don't see how you people can ignore them. This has nothing to do with Winnipeg being a good city to live in, it's just too small for the NHL market. Quantity, not quality.

I would love to see the Jets back, but let's be realistic here. Things would have be perfect for Winnipeg to have a team. Even Gary Bettman used the term "ideal world" to describe the scenario, and that was only after being pushed by Ron MacLean into a corner. But what happens when things aren't perfect? When the dollar is down? When salaries go up? When corporate support is waining? Then what? Do you really think civic pride will bail you in those circumstances?

ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
o god don't start this fight

Movin' on up

Quote:

What I meant is that it must be nice to have come from one city and currently live in another city with hockey. So it must be easy to come down on a city that would love a second chance because NYC and Calgary are secure in the fact that their NHL teams aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:50 PM
Khan

/\ I don't think that Calgary is very secure that the Flames aren't going anywhere. Indeed, that is CW's point. If the dollar weakens significantly and the salary cap rises in the next decade, even the Flames could be threatened again. For Winnipeg, the threat is that much greater.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

I am all for Winnipeg trying to get their team back. I long for the old Smythe division rivalries. The only problem is that I don't see it happening simply due to ownership of the league. Before they would go to Winnipeg, Houston comes into play. Remember Houston has a metro area of over 5 million people or more than 7X that of Winnipeg and a metro area that is significantly richer. While its true that Winnipeg has a much higher %'age of hockey fans, the sheer number of people and economics of Houston are hard to ignore when compared with the Peg (corporate base, disposible income, population and economics growth rate etc). When an owner out there is looking at leaving their current city, they will look at all options and I don't see an owner moving to Winnipeg over Houston, as much as I would love to see the Jets back. Houston has an arena, that is 18,500 and has 100 suites or double that of the MTS Centre and in Houston they can sell the tickets for more money than what they can charge in Winnipeg. The answer to the question "can Winnipeg support a team" is yes. Now the question comes how does it stack up to other potential markets for current and long terms growth prospects, it loses. Being second best or close enough to a current market is not good enough, Winnipeg has to be better than a market that is in the NHL right now to make it a thought that an owner would entertain and it would also have to have better long term prospects. In this regard I fear that Winnipeg might be the second best market out there and thus close but no cigar.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
What I meant is that it must be nice to have come from one city and currently live in another city with hockey. So it must be easy to come down on a city that would love a second chance because NYC and Calgary are secure in the fact that their NHL teams aren't going anywhere.
Dont misinterpret being realistic with "coming down". This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of life in Winnipeg compared to any other city. Some places are just too damn small or don't have the proper types of support that is needed. I'm sure Regina is a nice place to live too, but you don't see them clamoring for the NHL? Now is it because they are an awful city, or because the market just can't support it?

I'm a big fan of bringing the game back to Canada, but I just dont see it in Winnipeg. Another team in Ontaria on the other hand....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
/\ I don't think that Calgary is very secure that the Flames aren't going anywhere. Indeed, that is CW's point. If the dollar weakens significantly and the salary cap rises in the next decade, even the Flames could be threatened again. For Winnipeg, the threat is that much greater.
Exactly! A city almost twice the size of Winnipeg with a massive amount of corporate support has to also have very favourable conditions for it to sustain itself (as does Edmonton, Ottawa and to a lesser degree, Vancouver). Just because conditions are good now, does not guarantee anything for the Canadian teams in the future.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:00 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Dont misinterpret being realistic with "coming down". This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of life in Winnipeg compared to any other city. Some places are just too damn small or don't have the proper types of support that is needed. I'm sure Regina is a nice place to live too, but you don't see them clamoring for the NHL? Now is it because they are an awful city, or because the market just can't support it?

I'm a big fan of bringing the game back to Canada, but I just dont see it in Winnipeg. Another team in Ontaria on the other hand....
So what? Yeah, I guess Ontario should get another team and Winnipeg left out in the cold..........................................NOT!

Like someone else stated before; let a team come back to the city. If it doesn't work, then we have only ourselves to blame. If it works out, then all those nay-sayer will have no choice but to eat their negative words. But what is wrong with a second chance?

My main point is that it will be a step in helping the city improve it's image as a world class city and also improve its self-esteem. We don't need those who have never even been to Winnipeg criticizing us for wanting to improve our quality of life.

Your point is valid, but I stand by what I say.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:07 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaBoy
Like someone else stated before; let a team come back to the city. If it doesn't work, then we have only ourselves to blame. If it works out, then all those nay-sayer will have no choice but to eat their negative words. But what is wrong with a second chance?
Oh a second chance won't hurt the people of Winnipeg any, but it could hurt the hypothetical Winnipeg owner to the tune of 30 or 40 million dollars in losses.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan