HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:44 PM

Can we even call Fortress a developer? They haven't developed a single building that I'm aware of. They're a lender that has got involved in projects as a "developer" when the projects fail.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:01 PM

Whatever you want to call them. Scum suckers, weasels, crooks. They're a real estate development company, not a builder. Fortress is directly selling suites for SkiyCity in Wininpeg. They own the land. So I'd say they're a developer, yes.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Apologies. I had mentioned before that it seems like the drill rig is there to install a test caisson for the engineering team to optimize and confirm their design. Test like this are very common. So seems like they could clean up the site and fill the hole back in. Then leave town again. Prepping the site to sit for as long as it takes them to sell it.

Similar thing happened in Winnipeg last year for Project W. Site was fenced off, old parking lot shutdown. They installed two test caissons, site sat for a while and is now back to a parking lot.

Not trying to be a downer. But with the developers track record, you never know. I sure hope it's actually going ahead this time.
By "test caisson" do you mean soil sample? ie. see what the carrying capacity of the ground is under the building, how deep/big caissons have to be?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
By "test caisson" do you mean soil sample? ie. see what the carrying capacity of the ground is under the building, how deep/big caissons have to be?
I believe that they did the soil test many months ago. The drilling they are doing now would be for the shoring for digging the underground parts of the building.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanregina View Post
I believe that they did the soil test many months ago. The drilling they are doing now would be for the shoring for digging the underground parts of the building.
They seem to be drilling fairly close to the building to the east of the property...so I was assuming this was for shoring purposes as well.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:09 PM

No, they actually install a concrete caisson and use it to test/confirm their design parameters.

Apparently I missed the fact that there is a 5 storey below grade parkade? I'm not a structural engineer. But if there's going to be a five storey hole in the ground, they might just be for shoring. The drill rig auger just looked rather large to be for shoring.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
No, they actually install a concrete caisson and use it to test/confirm their design parameters.

Apparently I missed the fact that there is a 5 storey below grade parkade? I'm not a structural engineer. But if there's going to be a five storey hole in the ground, they might just be for shoring. The drill rig auger just looked rather large to be for shoring.
Shoring will absolutely be required. It's a big hole beside another big building.

As to whether that's what the rig is for or not, I guess is TBD.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 8:02 PM

Yeah, of course shoring is required. For that deep a hole, you'd need some type of tie back shoring system. Too deep, from my understanding, for a simple piled wall system. Again, not an expert on buildings. Anyways, keep chugging along.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 3:56 PM

Some more pictures from Twitter:

Source: https://twitter.com/MuskokaGreg/stat...41801890471936

Source: https://twitter.com/MuskokaGreg/stat...20314462584834

Quite a few very short videos of the construction on Twitter also:
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...ointe&src=typd

Anyone know what the crane is being used for?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 5:03 PM

There is a lot of work happening there by all the videos posted on there twitter site, digging shoring , pouring concrete the old plains basement is now gone , drilling for pouring piles its is happening Thanks Mike for the update

Last edited by thefourthtower; Nov 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 4:23 PM

Did you guys know that there is a potential for a twin tower to the initial CP condo tower? ( . . . of course, a lot of clearing would be required to the north of the site.)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 5:51 PM

Capital Pointe ‏@Capital_Pointe · Nov 19
.@jtskowronek We're going down five storeys and then back up to ground level, then up 27 more. #bigjob

The tower will likely 28 floors with the roof

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Did you guys know that there is a potential for a twin tower to the initial CP condo tower? ( . . . of course, a lot of clearing would be required to the north of the site.)
Whattttt where did you here this how tall , thank you

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:36 PM
I am the law!

Last few pages have been hilarious. How do you expect shoring operations to proceed with the old foundation still in place? It will have to ripped out and backed filled. Fortress has been a partner in dozens of completed condos in Ontario. Shady, yes, like everything else with the condo development but, hardly a scam. There are dozens of mortgage or equity groups out there providing hundreds of millions to keep the booms going. Preconstruction sales is the deciding factor whether a project move forward into construction. You guys are too concerned about some completely arbitrary, overly ambitious targets set 5 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Last few pages have been hilarious. How do you expect shoring operations to proceed with the old foundation still in place? It will have to ripped out and backed filled. Fortress has been a partner in dozens of completed condos in Ontario. Shady, yes, like everything else with the condo development but, hardly a scam. There are dozens of mortgage or equity groups out there providing hundreds of millions to keep the booms going. Preconstruction sales is the deciding factor whether a project move forward into construction. You guys are too concerned about some completely arbitrary, overly ambitious targets set 5 years ago.
lets give them a chance and see how far this proceeds in the next two months then we can complain

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 8:07 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
They appear to be doing the shoring (at least for now) along the property line with the NCO Building next door. There is no old foundation there, it was above-ground parking. So that part can happen without the process you mention.

-----

As far as a twin goes... I'll be happy of they could get 1 built.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 9:35 PM

Any word on the pre-sales for this project?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Whattttt where did you here this how tall , thank you
I don't know about you guys, but I was informed about that back in 2010. The sales office people at the time said that the structure was to be compatible with a second tower to the north. The model of the tower, on the north side, has a blank wall insothat an expansion can be easily accomodated.

As to how tall? I don't know. If it sells relatively soon, who knows? (Hopefully any would-be encore will be taller though.)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I was informed about that back in 2010. The sales office people at the time said that the structure was to be compatible with a second tower to the north. The model of the tower, on the north side, has a blank wall insothat an expansion can be easily accomodated.

As to how tall? I don't know. If it sells relatively soon, who knows? (Hopefully any would-be encore will be taller though.)
I don't recall hearing about the 2nd tower, but interesting. Model checks out.

Image via Stormer

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 2:55 AM

Well, your picture shows the east side; however, the lower portion (hotel?) had a blank/brick wall on the north side. (Akin to the NCO Building as well.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan