HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:02 AM

some of the suburbs do - i know langley does

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Because graffiti is vandalism and is damage to public and private property The same way that just because I live in a big city I don't have to except garbage all over the place as well.

May as well simply except murder as well! Part of big city life!

I have nothing against commissioned graffiti art / murals, I actually really enjoy them. But please don't try and defend the giant scribbles posted in the pictures above...

I find your reasoning quite odd here actually.

And aside from the BC place fiasco, which in reality is just a pissing match between the city and the province, all screens and lighting effects in the city have to under go strenuous urban panel reviews and meet many regulations. I really doubt those who sprayed the graffiti on the back of those buildings had to fill out much paper work to do so!
i had no reasoning, i was being fastecious - gawd if i can ever spell the word but you know the word i am thinking of

I don't vancouver that dirty I guess i can tune it out or accept what is there as part of the environment

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnny4 View Post
Does Vancouver have any of the "Adopt-a-Street" or "Adopt-a-Mile" type programs that exist in many places in the US? A civic group, a church group, or an online group of skyscraper enthusiasts (for example) registers to regularly clean up a stretch of road. In return, the city puts up a sign in that area which has the group's name displayed. I don't recall seeing such a thing in Canada, but surely if the Americans can do it, Canadians can do it ten times better!
I have thought of that as well! I actually wanted to go out and clean up the section of Marine Way near where I live this past weekend but the weather did no cooperate. It hasn't been cleaned once since I have moved here and the amount of garbage along it (especially the north side) is disgusting.

Lougheed through Burnaby is pretty bad right now as well as North road.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i had no reasoning, i was being fastecious - gawd if i can ever spell the word but you know the word i am thinking of

I don't vancouver that dirty I guess i can tune it out or accept what is there as part of the environment
haha, i know the word, i have the same problem with self-righteous often myself. This time i was close enough for spell check to get it, hahahaha!

But start actually looking at how much garbage lines our main roads. I really starting noticing it last year and it seems to be getting worse, and this is an issue where we should always strive to be better.

Also the city of Vancouver has stuck its neck out specifically with always trumping their "Greenest city" buzz phrase.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:10 AM

i've actually thougth the city has been getting cleaner, there is a problem with a lack of garbage cans i have noticed though in many places downtown anyway and when do u find one they are often already overflowing and you have no choice but pretend to throw it in the can knowing that it will fall to the side and blow away on the ground

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:14 AM

yeah, and it is especially bad for that on the weekend or during a special event. And of course i really wish the city would move on the dumpster removal downtown.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnny4 View Post
Does Vancouver have any of the "Adopt-a-Street" or "Adopt-a-Mile" type programs that exist in many places in the US? A civic group, a church group, or an online group of skyscraper enthusiasts (for example) registers to regularly clean up a stretch of road. In return, the city puts up a sign in that area which has the group's name displayed. I don't recall seeing such a thing in Canada, but surely if the Americans can do it, Canadians can do it ten times better!
That idea sucks So Bad it's not even funny.

We already pay (rather high) taxes for those services and employ people to perform them-good paying jobs that help support communities.

Why then cut the feet out from under a fundamental facet of Canadian civil society to ape a country that's been going steadily down a toilet of their own making for decades?

Note that I'm not attacking you just your idiotic bullshit ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to the orange vested minions of civic cleanliness I saw some on Granville St yesterday but it was hard to read what was on the back of the vest-they aren't CoV employees that I can tell.

Also-people here are still confused over the difference between different municipalities-do they even know where they live?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:09 AM

here is a link to some of the programs langley has - i think surrey might have one too Edit: yes they do

http://www.tol.ca/CurrentNewsInitiat...aPrograms.aspx

Adopt-a-Street
Adopt-a-Street participants:

select at least one kilometre of municipal roadway; must clean both sides of street
conduct at least one litter clean up a month
commit for two years
receive Adopt-a-Street signs

Adopt-a-Park
Adopt-a-Park participants:

select a municipal park
conduct at least two litter clean ups a month
commit for two years
receive Partners in Parks sign

Adopt-a-Trail
Adopt-a-Trail participants:

select a section of trail
conduct at least two litter clean ups a month
commit for two years
receive Partners in Parks sign

Adopt-a-Creek
Adopt-a-Creek participants:

select a section of creek or stream
conduct at least four litter clean ups a year
commit for two years
receive a Community in Action plaque or recognition sign

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
That idea sucks So Bad it's not even funny.

We already pay (rather high) taxes for those services and employ people to perform them-good paying jobs that help support communities.

Why then cut the feet out from under a fundamental facet of Canadian civil society to ape a country that's been going steadily down a toilet of their own making for decades?

Note that I'm not attacking you just your idiotic bullshit ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to the orange vested minions of civic cleanliness I saw some on Granville St yesterday but it was hard to read what was on the back of the vest-they aren't CoV employees that I can tell.

Also-people here are still confused over the difference between different municipalities-do they even know where they live?
Actually, no. We pay taxes so fools like the mayor can blow a couple million on extra trees for our crappily maintained boulevards, or for grants for idiotic ideas like growing wheat on your front lawn. Something like garbage clean-up is apparently too prosaic for them. For some reason the concept of a garbage can near every bus stop is also beyond their grasp.

And other municipaities in Metro-Vancouver have "adopt a block" programs, so its not just an American idea.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
We pay taxes so fools like the mayor can blow a couple million on extra trees for our crappily maintained boulevards, or for grants for idiotic ideas like growing wheat on your front lawn. Something like garbage clean-up is apparently too prosaic for them. For some reason the concept of a garbage can near every bus stop is also beyond their grasp.
Far be it for me to defend the idiot mayor-note that I never voted for him and I continue to lobby council members and even the mayor's office on issues that concern me.

And just where are these bus stops that have no garbage cans?

That I have never seen anywhere I've taken the bus in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
And other municipaities in Metro-Vancouver have "adopt a block" programs, so its not just an American idea.
Other municipalities have lower taxes that's why people choose to live in distant places but the difference must be made up somehow-'they get you coming or going' as the saying goes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion