HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
By my math Jazz began service on May 18th. Total seats available for the month of May on the route was 2100 seats, with 1648 passengers flown for a load factor of 78%. Pretty good I think.
Don't you have to divide the total number by 2? Otherwise, the BA flight had about 380 passengers going bith ways, on a 787..

@Digit: that's weird. Maybe Flightaware is wrong. I'll check by the airport someday to see what they're sending . (I recall seeing that frosty white color on a CRJ nearby once last month).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 12:51 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Air Canada Jazz flies the so-called CRJ705 on this route, which is similarly sized to a CRJ900 but with more spacious seating equivalent to what a CRJ700 would hold in a standard configuration.

https://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/crj705.html

That might explain how various sources get it right and wrong.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 3:28 AM

The 705 and 900 are basically the same air frame dimension wise. Only difference is certified seating capacity, 76 for 705 and 86 for 900. I think this was done to get around union scope clauses. Not sure if it worked.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 6:05 PM

A

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 6:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Those numbers are impressive. These are numbers relative to last May correct?

Virgin's routes to DAL sure beefed up their passenger numbers.

Would a 3 gate terminal suffice for Allegiant and Frontier expansion though?
Yea they are relative to last May. I'm guessing they are looking at those numbers as an indicator. Would make sense to see added routes. Of course there are other factors that come into play but it's definitely a good sign.

I'm not suprised about no new international route additions in the near term. It's possible any future announcements would be around the time or just after the east terminal expansion is complete. Having said that I still think Austin is closely being monitored by multiple carriers. Given that BA is doing well and the continued overall growth of the port it's only a matter of time. We just have to be patient.

I know a couple who will be using the Austin-Toronto route to get to Europe. I'll ask him to relay how the flight is.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Passenger count up 8.5% for the first five months is awesome. If that continues, ABIA will be inching really close to 12 million passengers for 2015 (~11.63 to be more specific - at an 8.5% growth rate). A mere 3 million short of the to-be-constructed expansion's overall capacity.

With three huge months still forthcoming, there is a chance that 8.5% figure could grow even higher.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Virgin's routes to DAL sure beefed up their passenger numbers.
While the new flights to DAL did beef up Virgin's overall passenger numbers, keep in mind that last May, Virgin only had one daily round-trip to SFO. This May they have seven daily flights. The second SFO flight didn't start until July 8, 2014, and the flights to DAL started April 28, 2015. That's a 600% increase in the number of daily available seats comparing this May to last May, yet their passenger count is only up 271%. That's a pretty good indication that the flights to DAL aren't performing well.

In addition, they will be dropping one of the DAL flights September 1, but that was always the plan and it was mentioned when the service was initially announced.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 6:19 AM

Why are the Jet Blue numbers off so steeply. How many flights did they cancel in the past year? I have not been keeping up. Did they quit flying to SF? I know they cut back on the number of NY flights from three to two a while back.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
While the new flights to DAL did beef up Virgin's overall passenger numbers, keep in mind that last May, Virgin only had one daily round-trip to SFO. This May they have seven daily flights. The second SFO flight didn't start until July 8, 2014, and the flights to DAL started April 28, 2015. That's a 600% increase in the number of daily available seats comparing this May to last May, yet their passenger count is only up 271%. That's a pretty good indication that the flights to DAL aren't performing well.

In addition, they will be dropping one of the DAL flights September 1, but that was always the plan and it was mentioned when the service was initially announced.
Hrmm true. There may be more people flying Virgin from Austin, but that's only because there are many flights/options, not because the planes are full. AUS-Dallas is pretty... saturated IMO.

Maybe that's why Virgin had a $49 special one-way to DAL.

I think a flight decrease should help the load factor.

Could it also be that people aren't so use to flying Virgin, so they just stick to Southwest? I can't say Virgin is experiencing the "aeromar effect" since Virgin is... well it's well-known enough and has great quality service compared to most carriers.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Why are the Jet Blue numbers off so steeply. How many flights did they cancel in the past year? I have not been keeping up. Did they quit flying to SF? .
Yes - at one time Virgin and JetBlue each had a daily round-trip to SFO. When JetBlue dropped AUS-SFO, Virgin added a second AUS-SFO round-trip.

Double C - one of the reasons people like Virgin is because of a better flight experience, but on a short AUS-DAL trip you don't really have that much time to experience anything, so might as well stick with Southwest because they have better frequency. Also, Virgin has a loyal following in SFO, so many from there probably fly Virgin to get here. On the AUS-DAL route, Southwest has the loyal following - both here and in DAL.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:35 PM

Hey, so I'm writing the Wikipedia article for ABIA in Czech and so what is the width in metres of the runways? I've got the length.

I figured if anybody would know it'd be someone here.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
Hey, so I'm writing the Wikipedia article for ABIA in Czech and so what is the width in metres of the runways? I've got the length.

I figured if anybody would know it'd be someone here.
I believe they are 150' so you can covert that to get your meters.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:58 PM

Perfect, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 1:21 AM
Air Traffic Controller

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAUS

Half way down that page on the right is a pdf diagram of the airport that you might like.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:48 PM

Virgin America has another special for the AUS-DAL route... only $38 each way this time:

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/tr...ggressive-sale

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:15 PM

BA 789 to Austin for a few months

L

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:37 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Forgot to mention my buddy and his wife took off to Lisbon via Toronto on Air Canada last week. He informed me that the plane from Austin to Toronto was at least 80% full from what he could tell, maybe even more.

I took them to the airport and I must say it was very crowded trying to get into the unloading area. The traffic backed up from the 71 intersection farther than I've ever seen it trying to leave. Do they have any plans in the future to build direct connect ramps for traffic leaving the port? I don't think a stop light is going to work well for much longer. I'm assuming any plan would be after they complete the expressway lanes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I took them to the airport and I must say it was very crowded trying to get into the unloading area. The traffic backed up from the 71 intersection farther than I've ever seen it trying to leave. Do they have any plans in the future to build direct connect ramps for traffic leaving the port? I don't think a stop light is going to work well for much longer. I'm assuming any plan would be after they complete the expressway lanes.
I noticed this as well on my last trip. Really annoyingly backed up. The light there seems backwoods. It needs to be fixed. Hopefully direct access flyover into austin will take shape soon.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 9:01 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
I noticed this as well on my last trip. Really annoyingly backed up. The light there seems backwoods. It needs to be fixed. Hopefully direct access flyover into austin will take shape soon.
I picked up my wife from the airport a week ago and traffic was backed up to Riverside on 71. The flight she was on passed directly overhead as I inched forward with everyone else. She said the terminal was packed with people. The pickup line was very long and the worst I've seen so far.

I've started noticing that Southwest is running into small delays getting their flights on a gate once they land. It's happening more often now where all of their gates are occupied so the arrival has to wait an extra 10+ minutes for their company to push off.

I didn't see anyone post it here but the airport posted it on their facebook page, taxiway Alpha is now open full length. Air Canada was the first to use the new taxiway.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
I picked up my wife from the airport a week ago and traffic was backed up to Riverside on 71. The flight she was on passed directly overhead as I inched forward with everyone else. She said the terminal was packed with people. The pickup line was very long and the worst I've seen so far.

I've started noticing that Southwest is running into small delays getting their flights on a gate once they land. It's happening more often now where all of their gates are occupied so the arrival has to wait an extra 10+ minutes for their company to push off.

I didn't see anyone post it here but the airport posted it on their facebook page, taxiway Alpha is now open full length. Air Canada was the first to use the new taxiway.
This goes to show that they need to do double time in getting the terminal expansion going NOW.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin