HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:19 AM
Community Guy

hahhaa awesome

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:16 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Of course your post locks his from editing, forever sealing in the comedy gold like han solo in carbonite.
That was half the point. To make sure he didn't change it and try to make me look foolish.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
That was half the point. To make sure he didn't change it and try to make me look foolish.
I think he only makes people look foolish by association, not by juxtaposition or contrast.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:59 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A World's Fair in Edmonton would mean many of these communities would be asking for their fair share of it, both in attractions and capital funding...and the bickering would continue.

Let me channel Nixon. Let me be PERFECTLY clear.

This will be hosted on ONE site, and that site will be Edmonton. The focus of the dollars will be EDMONTON. Like EXPO 86, outlying communities will benefit from the attendees at the fair, and may receive specific upgrades to facilities, but the biggie will be transit.

Look at EXPO 86. Your answers lie there.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Edmonton officials roaming sunny Spain

By MICHELLE THOMPSON, SUN MEDIA

July 14, 2008

City officials are roaming the streets of Spain today, picking up tips on how to win a bid to host a world's fair.

The trip will give council and employees a clearer indication of whether Edmonton would be a suitable host for Expo 2017, said Coun. Jane Batty.

Edmonton is considering entering the race to be Canada's bid city.

"We're exploring the possibilities for making the bid," she said from Zaragoza, Spain. "It's just one of those wonderful opportunities to examine how it's put together."

Batty and a few city employees -- from Edmonton's transportation and planning departments -- will remain in Zaragoza for a few days, speaking with organizers and exploring sites.

Canada's shot at winning the 2017 bid could be promising, given that the country celebrates its 150th birthday that year.

"We've got some great synergy," Batty said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...f-6148686.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^i agree that major events support the move for more major capital projects, but i still dont feel we deserve it.

Edmonton needs to shape up, show some respect for itself, and create a friendly welcoming city.
I think your cutting Edmonton short...I think it "deserves" it as much as any other Canadian city. Before Expo '86, I recall Vancouver was just that city on the coast (EDIT: not saying that Expo was the only reason it for it becoming a "world-known" city...but, definitely helped)...and as mentioned, some of the resulting projects that resulted were transforming for the city. Same might be said about Calgary before the Olympics.

I think Edmonton (or Calgary...or Ottawa) are easily ready.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 10:59 PM

Calgary only missed the big 2005 fair by a few votes, I think Edmonton could easily get the smaller fair for 2017.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:30 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
I think your cutting Edmonton short...I think it "deserves" it as much as any other Canadian city. Before Expo '86, I recall Vancouver was just that city on the coast (EDIT: not saying that Expo was the only reason it for it becoming a "world-known" city...but, definitely helped)...and as mentioned, some of the resulting projects that resulted were transforming for the city. Same might be said about Calgary before the Olympics.

I think Edmonton (or Calgary...or Ottawa) are easily ready.

We are starting to deserve it more and more...but the whole city/region needs to show me we "deserve" hosting the world.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:56 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I would go so far as to say that we deserve it, but now we need to know it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:25 AM
Movin' on up

Good to see Edmonton making a bid for this event.

By and by, there is an underground movement organized by some dedicated citizens getting the ball rolling to have Winnipeg bid for the 2020 Worlds Fair. I wonder if other Canadian cities are planning to bid aswell?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 12:43 PM

Edmonton schmoozing for future Expo bid
Showing the flag in Spain could pay dividends for potential shot at 2017 fair

Gary Lamphier
The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

CREDIT: Getty Images, File
Fireworks light up the sky during the opening ceremony of the Expo 2008 World Fair on June 13 in Zaragoza, Spain. Edmonton hopes to host the 2017 fair.

EDMONTON - The ancient Spanish city of Zaragoza is a couple thousand years older than Edmonton, and nearly half a world away.

But the host city for Expo 2008, and the would-be Canadian host city for Expo 2017, also boast some surprising similarities.

Zaragoza's population? Roughly 720,000. Edmonton's? About 750,000. Zaragoza ranks as Spain's fifth-largest city. Edmonton is Canada's sixth biggest.

Both cities are provincial capitals located far from the coast, with major river systems -- Zaragoza's River Ebro, Edmonton's North Saskatchewan River -- flowing through them.

Zaragoza isn't well known beyond Spain's borders, and it has long struggled for global recognition. Ditto for Edmonton, which gets a fraction of the media attention lavished on Calgary or Vancouver.

While larger Spanish cities have hosted or bid on major global events -- Barcelona had the 1992 Summer Olympic Games, Seville hosted Expo '92, and Madrid lost its bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics -- Zaragoza hasn't stepped up to the plate.

Until now.

The same goes for Edmonton. Despite the many high-profile events E-town has hosted over the years, Edmonton -- unlike Calgary, Vancouver or Montreal -- has never sought an event as big or as audacious in scope as an Expo, or an Olympic Games.

Like Zaragoza, Edmonton's day may finally be at hand, however. After touring Expo 2008 in July, city councillor Jane Batty has no doubts Edmonton is ready and able to take the next big step.

"I feel that Edmonton would definitely be able to host an Expo in 2017," she says.

"From what I saw there, I was quite thrilled knowing that we as a city could very successfully put on such a project."

On Wednesday, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel will lead the third and final delegation of city and provincial officials on a five-day, fact-finding visit to Expo Zaragoza 2008, which wraps up Sunday.

Among other things, Mandel and his cohorts -- including Alberta Aboriginal Relations Minister Gene Zwozdesky, and Tory MLA Thomas Lukaszuk -- will meet with senior members of the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions, which regulates and sanctions Expo events.

"It's really important for them to know who we are," says Mandel.

"We've had groups of people there through the summer, but this is the end of the fair and they have significant meetings then.

"So our role is to go and schmooze with these people, to tell them about the (proposed) Edmonton bid, and how excited we are about 2017, that it's Canada's 150th birthday, and that we're committed to doing this. To show that we're a player."

Zaragoza's three-month-long event, which ends Sunday after drawing between six million and seven million visitors, is focused on Water and Sustainable Development -- a key theme in a world beset by worries about dwindling fresh water supplies.

More than 100 countries are on hand, along with dozens of private companies and non-governmental groups.

The regional economic impact, and the infrastructure assets left behind for the citizens of Zaragoza to use, are substantial. And then there's the significant media exposure the event has generated.

Of course, Edmonton's proposed bid is still at an early stage. Once Mandel and his group returns and assesses its findings, a full report will be sent to city council in late October.

That's when the city must decide whether it's willing to go to Phase 2 -- preparing a detailed business case for Expo 2017, and competing against other Canadian cities, including Montreal,

Ottawa and Hamilton, to host the event. The deadline for such applications to the federal government is September 2009.

"We have to go back to council in October with all the information we've got, and ask for more money, and then we'll get the province to match it," says Mandel.

"And then we'll begin to develop a more exacting and a more complete vision of what we're going to do. For example, what kind of theme we're going to have, and where (Expo 2017) might be located, and what kind of facilities we might have."

Mandel is a realist. With a federal election underway, he says, it's impossible to know which party will be in power in two months, and how that may influence the choice the feds ultimately make about which Canadian city to support. But he says Edmonton has a great shot.

"We believe Edmonton will put forward, as we always do, an incredible bid that will be tough to challenge against because it will be that good. And when you have a province that is supportive of this, I think we've got a heck of a chance," he says.

Although some say the U of A's bid to host the 2015 World Student Games could nullify hopes of gaining federal support for Edmonton's proposed Expo bid, Mandel dismisses that as a red herring.

"So far we're the only city in Canada that's shown a strong interest in this. That doesn't mean someone isn't going to come out of the woodwork later on. But it's our 150th anniversary, and the West is the new emerging economic powerhouse in this country. To show off the West and what's happening here would be just good business for Canada."

glamphier@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...ebd6f&sponsor=

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

good article...i think Edmonton will (finally) be ready to host an event of that magnitude come around that year.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:49 PM

The smaller expos are a good size for small cities, you just have to watch the expectation management if people think it will cause a big splash. Even the big mainline Expos, I don't think many people on the street could name the hosts of either of the last two.

How about having it at a reinvigorated muni with the theme "exploration through flight"? hahaha

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:39 PM

September 12, 2008

E-town could host world fair in 2017

By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Bringing the world's fair to the Alberta capital in 2017 is "doable," say officials laying the groundwork for Edmonton's bid.

"From our research a recognized expo is certainly doable for Edmonton, but we're still waiting on our costing information," said Candice Stasynec, an executive director in the city manager's office. "Depending on what that comes in at, it may sway us one way or another."

A local delegation including Stasynec, Mayor Stephen Mandel, MLAs Thomas Lukaszuk and Gene Zwozdesky, Alberta's aboriginal relations minister, among others are in Spain this week, taking in Expo Zaragoza 2008.

Initial cost estimates for a similar event in Edmonton are expected to be made public next month when the matter goes before city council. Political approval would be required before officials move on to the next step, which includes developing potential themes and a location for the fair.

Stasynec said the cost of hosting such an event would "easily" be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

That would require significant contributions from both the federal and provincial governments.

She said Edmonton would host what's called a recognized expo, running three months.

It would not be as large as the expos previously held in Vancouver and Montreal.

"It would create a great opportunity for Edmonton, but we've got a lot of work to do yet," Mandel said.

Mandel suggested possible themes could revolve around energy, multiculturalism or immigration.

Coun. Jane Batty, who was in Spain earlier this summer attending Expo Zaragoza 2008, said four or five possible spots have been identified in the city, but she declined to say which.

Roughly 25 hectares of land would be required.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...f-6742471.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

September 12, 2008

Stephen slips away to Spain
Mandel and his posse are gathering info for 'potential bid' to host World's Fair in 2017

By NEIL WAUGH, EDMONTON SUN

Wait until Bronco finds out what Howie is up to.

Then Dave Bronconnier -the petulant mayor of Alberta's Centre-of-the-Universe City - will really get on his high horse.

Under the smokescreen of the federal election, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel has slipped away to Zaragoza, Spain.

We are told the mayor's mission is to "gather information" for a "potential bid" to host a World's Fair in 2017.

No press release, of course. Or trip cost disclosure. Apparently it's not required under the loosey goosey spending rules of Edmonton's Liberal/NDP-dominated city council, including several people who used to rage against the provincial Tory machine over secrecy when they were MLAs. Politics is full of ironies.

But because Steady Eddie Stelmach requires his MLAs to declare their frequent flyer points - and two government MLAs are accompanying Mandel and his posse of city hall bureaucrats on the jolly junket to sunny Spain - the sandstone castle kicked out a disclosure document.

In it Edmonton cabinet minister Gene Zwozdesky, minister of aboriginal relations, says his role on the trip is to determine the "risks and benefits" that come with a fair bid.

One of the biggest "risks" Zwoz admits, is getting "support from other levels of government." Mayors don't actually build fairs, they just take the credit.

Considering a World's Fair consists of governments burning up massive amounts of taxpayer dollars on goofy-looking buildings in hopes that enough folks will come to see them so they can recover at least some of the money, "support" is not exactly the politically correct word.

NOT BUILT TO LAST

"Subsidize" is a better fit.

This is especially true when you consider the crazy domes, pyramids and super-sized hockey sticks are built to last for a few months. Then they all get torn down, with the likely exception of one.

That would be Mandel's elusive political legacy - the downtown hockey arena he desperately wants taxpayers to build for Forbes magazine billionaire and Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz.

Edmonton-Castledowns MLA Thomas Lukaszuk showed he's clearly not ready for prime time around Stelmach's cabinet table when he gushed, "The impact of a World's Fair in Edmonton would be a huge significance to our city, our province and to Canada."

The Polish Prince forgot to mention Cowtown, because under Alberta's harsh political code, whatever Edmonton gets, Alberta's Second City also receives a political goody of similar and equal value.

Bronco will make darn sure of that.

Mandel's timing couldn't have been worse. On the day he left town, a city hall committee released a consultant's report that recommended a four per cent per year property tax hike for the next decade to get caught up with crumbling neighbourhood roads and cracked sidewalks, unless "other orders of government partner" with city hall.

A SUBPLOT

Considering inflated construction costs have driven up Edmonton's 23 Avenue interchange to $260 million (with the likelihood of more to come), how many billions will it take to build a bunch of weird, tear-down buildings on the City Centre Airport site in Alberta's super-heated economy?

Yes, folks, there's a subplot here.

Even if Mandel wins the Expo 2017 bid, where do you put the darn thing?

This suddenly explains why the let's-shut-down-the-Muni debate reappeared on the city hall agenda after a lengthy absence, even though it's causing serious fractures in the Alberta PC caucus because of political pressure from rural mayors to not only keep the downtown air harbour open, but to bring back full commercial service.

The long drive in from Leduc is not exactly good for business.

Almost all of the big chunks of land left around the city are tied up by developers, with the exception of one sizeable block where the City Centre Airport is located.

Meanwhile, while Mandel is dreaming big, Finance Minister Iris Evans is reported to be fretting over where the $119-a-barrel oil that she based her first-quarter budget update on a few days ago disappeared to.

I'll bet Bronco is already working on his wish list.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Albe...f-6742491.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 1:16 PM

First article is good. Second one continues to show Edmonton's small dick syndrome.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
Second one continues to show Edmonton's small dick syndrome.
From Neil Waugh? Gee, I wonder why?

He really is not a very happy person, is he? Oh well, at least he's got his clever nicknames to cheer himself up.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 1:46 PM

^"No can do" people like Neil are starting to get old, retire and die, thankfully.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

4-5 sites of 25ha...hmm...

1.muni - please god no
2.UofA south campus? meh
3.river valley? ok
4.millet?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:05 PM
Big Dog

So 25 hectares of land is required for an Expo. Just to give us an idea of the size how big is the City Centre Airport in hectares?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton