HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:38 AM

Mayor Moonbeam Says Communism Good for the Environment

There really must be a power behind the throne, because there's no way this guy can be the brains of Vision Vancouver. From the Globe & Mail:

Gregor Robertson, the Mayor of Vancouver, was disappointingly naive when he said in Shanghai that Chinese policies are greener than those of Western countries because of China's lack of democracy. He may have been carried away by his enthusiasm in leading the Vancouver Green Capital Business Mission, to promote the environmental services of enterprises from his city.

This was no mere slip of the tongue, as he advanced this notion twice in an interview, saying, among other things, “You can question how worthwhile democracy is in a lot of countries right now.”...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1707606/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:44 AM

Amusing quote.

But benevolent, authoritarian rule probably is the best system out there. Not saying that's what exists in China, but democracies can be a total mess.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:50 AM

whatnext, you're a committed anti-environmentalist. Democracy gives you a voice, alas.

That said, China has no reason to be proud about it's environmental performance. You'd love all the freeways they're building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 9:41 AM

Yes, I prefer not to be able to see the air I breathe in, which is unfortunately NOT the case in many cities in China.

My favorite anecdote: I was at the airport in Changsha and was very impressed to see separated bins for waste and recyclables. Then a cleaning lady came around to empty them -- and everything went into the same garbage bag.

That tells you pretty much all you need to know about the attitude the PRC has towards the environment.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
whatnext, you're a committed anti-environmentalist. Democracy gives you a voice, alas..
Anti-environmentalist - no. Anti-communist - yes.

I realize Visionistas don't like messy democracy with all its debates and public input from "f!@#$g hacks".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics