HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 9:00 AM

Powell Avenue Steam plant; Regions Field; Railroad Park; the Transit Hub; Innovation Depot; the whole park side district and UAB area has me just swooning.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 3:59 PM
Burming Hammer

^1st avenue south from 14th (regions field) to 20th (rotary trail) is becoming a VERY urban/walkable/livable area. hard to believe what it looked like just 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
It was in a news article on the bbj about a month ago. They have already bought the land around the building for the project. They are just finalizing plans. Also whats up with the Jefferson Tower?
david fleming, REV Birmingham president said in May the developers are looking to get started in 6 to 8 weeks which could be august or September

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...tower-rev.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 PM

Tower crane is being set up at the LIV construction site. So far its just the base. Venue at the ballpark is underway. That highland tower will be the cherry on top though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 9:17 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
david fleming, REV Birmingham president said in May the developers are looking to get started in 6 to 8 weeks which could be august or September

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...tower-rev.html
Ugh, I'm getting nervous waiting for this thing to get started...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:54 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Tower crane is being set up at the LIV construction site. So far its just the base. Venue at the ballpark is underway. That highland tower will be the cherry on top though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Ugh, I'm getting nervous waiting for this thing to get started...
Yeah, the Highland tower (because of its height and status) and the Jefferson (because of its on again off again status) are the ones I am most anxious about as well. I don't want to sound like I am bored or taking the multiple 6 story apartment complexes going on for granted, I just feel like those aren't as risky or make or break for downtown if one or even two of them fall through.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, the Highland tower (because of its height and status) and the Jefferson (because of its on again off again status) are the ones I am most anxious about as well. I don't want to sound like I am bored or taking the multiple 6 story apartment complexes going on for granted, I just feel like those aren't as risky or make or break for downtown if one or even two of them fall through.
This morning I walked by the Highland condo site and noticed someone had placed a large mattress in front of the side door complete with what looked like sheets and blanket.
Something needs to happen quickly on this site before it becomes a big camp site.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 6:55 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yea, I really feel like these two projects that could decide whether outside (or local) investors consider Birmingham to be a worthwhile investment. If two big projects like these fall through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
This morning I walked by the Highland condo site and noticed someone had placed a large mattress in front of the side door complete with what looked like sheets and blanket.
Something needs to happen quickly on this site before it becomes a big camp site.
Lovely...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 10:00 PM
Burming Hammer

more good news for parkside. kinda wish this building was being torn down and replaced with something a little denser/taller, but at least based on the renderings, you can't really tell that it was an old bakery/factory...

Former Merita Bakery next to Birmingham Railroad Park to become restaurant, office space

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:33 PM

Birmingham is going to have a well run theme park with the background of the new owner of Alabama adventure. He is already repopulating the gutted dry side with rides and renovating the wooden coaster. The success of Holiday World's business model is good one to have in Birmingham.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:39 PM
Burming Hammer

i've been asking about this property for YEARS... not sure why it took so long to get snapped up. great location.

Bristol Development buys Clairmont property in Birmingham for $4.35 million, plans 246 apartments

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:26 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
more good news for parkside. kinda wish this building was being torn down and replaced with something a little denser/taller, but at least based on the renderings, you can't really tell that it was an old bakery/factory...

Former Merita Bakery next to Birmingham Railroad Park to become restaurant, office space
a little more detail about this project... might even include a bowling alley:

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:30 PM
Burming Hammer

well, crap... had wondered why this one was so quiet. hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Developers pull plug on L&N Parkside apartment and retail project near Birmingham Railroad Park

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:43 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
well, crap... had wondered why this one was so quiet. hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Developers pull plug on L&N Parkside apartment and retail project near Birmingham Railroad Park
Eh, can't say I am surprised - but I didn't want it to happen - especially after I mentioned as much a post ago. This one wasn't the prettiest. And it looks like they were depending on some Government money that didn't come through. I suspect the land will get sold to some one with deeper pockets and go in a completely different direction.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 8:19 PM
Burming Hammer

kinda hope it still becomes multifamily... would be cool to see the outfield of regions field ringed with apartments/condos.

and I agree that was probably the worst of all the designs we've seen thus far. not a huge loss there.

but yeah, that property won't sit idle long...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 9:15 PM
Burming Hammer

small announcement... didn't realize this project was going to have a second phase:

Southside to get 57 new apartments with second phase of University Flats

first phase pic:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
kinda hope it still becomes multifamily... would be cool to see the outfield of regions field ringed with apartments/condos.

and I agree that was probably the worst of all the designs we've seen thus far. not a huge loss there.

but yeah, that property won't sit idle long...
Im glad they canned the project. I mean who in their right mind wants the parking deck facing the field. Thats just stupid. Additionally it was cookie cutter and reminded me of the UAB red brick buildings. Hopefully we can get a 10 story non-rental highrise. something that would stick out.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Im glad they canned the project. I mean who in their right mind wants the parking deck facing the field. Thats just stupid. Additionally it was cookie cutter and reminded me of the UAB red brick buildings. Hopefully we can get a 10 story non-rental highrise. something that would stick out.
I like the idea of a convention sized hotel, 300 or more rooms and lots of conference rooms. UAB has got lots of doctors, PhDs, Nurses and Techs that are members of all kinds associations, organizations and groups that hold seminars and meetings on a regular basis, that area is primed for that sort of thing. (IMO)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:06 PM

Just got done looking at Nashville's thread. I have to say im a little jealous.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:38 PM
I concede

Nashville is booming, no doubt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations