Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ The fact you were able to make such a trip, from Brooklyn to Wall Street to the UWS is enough evidence to show how much better NY's subway is than ours.

The NY subway system has 27 lines and 472 stops, spanning nearly the entire city (except Staten Island) and providing access to a large percentage of NYers. In Philly, large chunks of our city - the entire Northeast and Northwest - are devoid of a subway line, excluding a huge number of the city's residents from using it. And where do the SEPTA subways go? Well, there's no direct subway connection to some of the most important job centers in the city - Market West, the Navy Yard, and the hospital district. How shortsighted is that? Even our "stadium" stop is a good 15 minute walk to the actual stadiums.

Also, the NY subway runs 24 hours a day with frequent headways compared and no transfer fee.

But the most telling thing about the NY subway system is that the riders reflect that city's diversity because pretty much everyone uses it: college kids, working professionals, seniors, tourists, the rich, and the poor. In Philly, outside of the rush hour and during some sporting events, it's almost all poor people who have no other choice.

Sorry, but there's no comparison between the MTA and SEPTA. It's not even close and anyone who thinks it is, is delusional.

PS: NY's most recent transit accomplishment: a brand, spanking new (after decades of delays) subway line. Ours? We finally got rid of tokens and the workers who sat behind the both without any change.
There is no arguing which is the better system. The MTA is however in a sense a victim of it's own success. As someone who has taken the MTA many times, it is an asset that you can't live without... and it's also kind of a really unpleasant experience.

SEPTA is so much less useful than the MTA and does so much less. But what it does, it does pretty well, especially when you enter funding into the equation. There have been times in my life, when I've had a commute that was perfectly served by a subway station. At one point I lived a few blocks from the Oregon Station and worked right next to the Race/Vine Station. That commute was a piece of cake and so much better than any experience you'd have traveling over 5 miles on the MTA.

Now granted, a big reason why the ride was so much more comfortable was because the subway was so much less crowded because it is so much less useful to so many people depending on where they live and work. But I really think that is the biggest factor, if the subway works for your commute in Philly you'd be kind of crazy not to take it, it's pretty good. I've definitely seen people of all walks of life on the subway, hell I've even seen Mayor Street on he subway a bunch of times.

So while I agree that the MTA is just indisputably a better system, at the end of the day it's just another point on the long list of why NYC is objectively better than philly. But despite also those objective facts favoring NYC, they don't necessarily add up to NYC being a more enjoyable place to live and the MTA is a poster child for this.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:51 PM

Rust? Dirty...
Hopefully this can and will be cleaned/removed at some point?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:26 PM

^^^ I'm almost sure that's a result of the blue protective covering taking the finish off of those trim pieces which is why so much of it hasn't yet been removed.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:47 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ I'm almost sure that's a result of the blue protective covering taking the finish off of those trim pieces which is why so much of it hasn't yet been removed.
I wonder how much more fixing that will add to the cost over-runs. Do you suppose they'll be able to clean or refinish them in place?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Could it be a result of the covering leaving adhesive behind and having dirt stick to it? Either way, it looks like shit....

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:37 PM

SEPTA is good for what it is and it's definitely better than what other cities have. Its strength probably lies in its Regional Rail system although the operation of those trains suck - partially because it shares tracks with Amtrak but also because it's expensive and infrequent service make it a shitty option for anything but commuting from the burbs to work. The Green Lines are also very useful (but isn't there plan on the table to make it more like Regional Rail?).

Getting back on subject, the rust/dirt does look like shit but only from nearby office buildings. For the rest of the world, I doubt anyone notices it. But one person who I am sure does notice and does care is Brian Roberts. Liberty's CEO (William Hankowsky) on the other hand is probably like, "dude, come on, it adds character."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Rust? Dirty...
Hopefully this can and will be cleaned/removed at some point?

Probably debris from the above floors during the time of construction that adhere under the blue tape covering. Could be anything from grinding, sawing, sanding, whatever material was worked on. But, not as a direct result of rust on the "trim pieces" as they are polished aluminum or some other non-ferrous reflective metal being used to accent the building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Could it be a result of the covering leaving adhesive behind and having dirt stick to it? Either way, it looks like shit....
Yeah, I'd be amazed if this is actually damaged rather than just sticky and dirty. Will likely get cleaned up with window washing rig. I'd be more concerned with the light tower.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:52 PM

I believe that is the adhesive residue collecting dirt. However, It boggles the mind on why they didn't think enough to take the blue film off before they installed it. It makes sense in so many ways!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:57 PM

"I am sure who does notice and does care is Brian Roberts."

He certainly should because he lives there now. Or it's at least one of his homes.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:23 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
I believe that is the adhesive residue collecting dirt. However, It boggles the mind on why they didn't think enough to take the blue film off before they installed it. It makes sense in so many ways!
It's meant to be taken off *after* installation, to protect the pieces during installation.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:11 PM

That's an excellent selection of pictures. I love this city.

I also love the Gritty Christmas card in the last pic.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:29 PM

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:01 PM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
There's a certain badassness about Northeast and Northern cities in shots like this during the winter. I feel like Rocky is going to show up any moment in fingerless gloves and a knit hat.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:50 AM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 3:25 PM

Trees planted along Arch Street, the Vernick Seafood restaurant ground floor, and Four Seasons hotel lobby:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 6:35 PM

When's that lantern supposed to be lit up again? It looks weird at night all dark on top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture