HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:58 PM
#1 King Champ

Photo updates

Here are your standard issue photos of 'just a warehouse' along with some other ones. They wouldn't allow me on site as they were working on the build. I tried to get right in there. Maybe next time I'll take my old hard hat and work boots with me so I can meet their safety regulations.

Moving large amounts of dirt from the east side of the warehouse.

Massive hole along the roadway. My shadow is on the far side of the hole.

This conduit was large. Maybe 5 feet across.

Standard issue warehouse photo. If you look close you can see a Canpotex potash train on the horizon to give you an idea how close the rail lines are right now.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:28 PM

You can now clearly see the Loblaw distribution centre from dowtown. They appear to have half of the east side facing downtown constructed

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
What is phase 2 ? Has it started construction?
Phase two is another 500,000 square feet and is expected to be built in a couple of years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:35 PM
Closed account

thanks for the photos , i wonder what the big dig is for

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:36 PM

There was supposed to be a stormwater liftstation out there too...I would be willing to bet that is what the big hole is dug for.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:19 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
There was supposed to be a stormwater liftstation out there too...I would be willing to bet that is what the big hole is dug for.
I would think that's what it is as it is similar size and depth to the one they put in at Harbor Landing.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:10 AM
Edan

Excuse my language but shit son that is huge.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:45 PM

Thanks for the photo update!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 1:15 AM
Closed account

as stated 1,400 trucks per week will be coming out of the loblaws warehouse , one would asume they would build a warehouse for these trucks as a shop, those truckers make not bad money 1, 400 trucks that is going to be one busy place

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:44 PM

A previous poster stated that this initiative is nothing more than a larger than normal grocery store. I would beg to differ.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...t-railway.html

Warren Buffett just purchased Burlington Northern - Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad which means that he is serious that rail is returning as the major mode of transport of the goods we use. These big hub centres will become more of the norm as rail will do the long haul and trucks will be used only for short hauls. As electric motors become more practical and powerful we will be able to reduce pollution even more.

I think we may soon regret all the RR right of ways we tore up the last 40 years.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:34 PM

You may have heard the news reports that the NDP opposition was alleging that OH&S was letting an Ontario contractor at Loblaw site operate a crane that had not been inspected in compliance with Sask requirements.

Apparently this morning someone from the Ontario company was interviewed on CBC radio and called Regina a backwoods village. I guess things are so wonderful out in Ontario he has to come out to the boonies to find work. Someone shoud point out to him that Saskatchewan's GDP per person far exceeded Ontario's last year.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 7:58 PM

The GTH now has a website, but there is not much there. You will find more about the GTH on this thread. It might be worth checking back as they will no doubt have more info in the future.

http://www.reginaglobaltransportationhub.com/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 5:12 PM
Closed account

someone had mentioned on the regina page that the second phase of loblaws may proceed now , good news 1,500 new jobs for the province , the loblaws site is going to be 160 acres , cp container site is to be 275 acres that is massive i belive the one downtown is only 22 acres

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 2:21 AM
Closed account

the new loblaws is now enclosed what a massive building , i believe there may be almost 40 truck bays

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 12:06 AM

Canada Post has been moving their main downtown sorting/distributions facilities to areas near airports and transportation infastructure. This is happening in Vancouver and Winnipeg. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada Post moves to the GTH from Saskatchewan Drive. This would free up the main post office for redevelopment, perhaps in conjunction with the stadium development.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Canada Post has been moving their main downtown sorting/distributions facilities to areas near airports and transportation infastructure. This is happening in Vancouver and Winnipeg. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada Post moves to the GTH from Saskatchewan Drive. This would free up the main post office for redevelopment, perhaps in conjunction with the stadium development.
oh yeah. it's only a matter of time before canada post gets the hell out of dodge and leaves that outdated building. that whole stretch of sask drive from broad to albert is going to be prime land for upcoming hotels, restaurants, and retail..... as soon as they get the stadium built first, that is ....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:45 AM
Closed account

as per the govt of sask website , prominent canadian business representatives are named to the gth board , that is quite the list, the govt doing things right

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
as per the govt of sask website , prominent canadian business representatives are named to the gth board , that is quite the list, the govt doing things right
Could you post a link?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Could you post a link?
I think this is what he is referring to:

Quote:
PROMINENT CANADIAN BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVES NAMED TO GLOBAL TRANSPORTATION HUB BOARD

The Government of Saskatchewan announced the appointment of six members to the Board of Directors of the Global Transportation Hub Authority (GTHA) today.

"Collectively, the board members bring an impressive array of expertise in transportation logistics and international trade," GTHA Chair Wayne Elhard said. "With these appointments, we have put in place the team that will provide the leadership and strategic direction that will make the Global Transportation Hub (GTH) vision a reality."

In addition to Elhard, the GTHA board members are:

• Captain Gordon Houston (Vice Chair), Former President and CEO of Port Metro Vancouver;
• Mayo Schmidt, President and CEO of Viterra;
• Louis Ranger, Former Deputy Minister, Transport Canada;
• Marcella Szel, Q.C., Former VP, Marketing and Sales, Canadian Pacific Rail;
• Lionel LaBelle, President and CEO, Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership; and
• Ron Dedman, Deputy Minister, Government Services, Government of Saskatchewan.

When fully developed, the GTH will comprise a major Western Canadian transportation and logistics centre. The GTH will stimulate provincial economic development by providing enhanced and more efficient access to global supply chains for Saskatchewan exporters and attracting new investment, such as the one million sq. ft. distribution centre being built to serve the Loblaw Group of Companies. It is anticipated the distribution centre, which will begin operations in 2010, will create hundreds of new jobs.

The GTHA was established last summer. The authority's mandate is to plan, develop, construct, operate and manage the Global Transportation Hub. For more information on the GTHA please visit www.gtha.ca.
http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=5b1...7-390e96c79d81

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 2:06 AM
Closed account

the govt is having discssions with a number of major trucking and logistics firms

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan