HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:20 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
The problem I have with the Sturgess proposal is the lower deck appears almost unusable. The diagonal cables seem to half the usable space of the deck for moving through. It also seems quite dangerous.
It's hard to tell on the rendering how close those cables are. I think the idea is that the bikes and rollerbladers go on the other path, which doesn't have the obstructions, leaving the semi-obstructed one to walkers, where it isn't a big deal. You can see from the rendering that Sturgess has benches placed in between the cables, I think the idea is that the lower platform there is a bit of a gathering place/ walking path. I don't think it will be a problem. The grades on the bike ramp look a bit steep on the rendering though, which could be a problem. Who knows if the rendering is accurate in that regard.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:21 PM

you lost me on the elegance bit. elegance is not pouring mass amounts of concrete into unusual large formwork, concealing all of the true structure.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:24 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty67 View Post
you lost me on the elegance bit. elegance is not pouring mass amounts of concrete into unusual large formwork, concealing all of the true structure.
Fair enough, point taken.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:25 PM

have fun rollerblading on the sturgess bridge. there isn't anything but hills for pathways!

another example of the designer not being able to control himself.

the rogers roof is large, yes, but it will be developed without a doubt. i think its a sure fire short list project.

lets be honest here. none of these projects will look exactly like they do now.

thats what design development and cost evaluation is all about.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:26 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion. Ive seen some amazingly beautiful buildings with a strong emphasis on concrete.

What some seem to be missing about Glide, is that it might be the only bridge that is a true gathering place (a plaza on the water) where the other proposals appear to be mere conduits for getting across to the other side. I feel like it does a great service to the park by encouraging citizens to stick around and hang out.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:28 PM

i have a feeling that people will more than likely gravitate towards the beach that they are trying to create on the island instead. if the glide gets built everyone will have to sit on the bridge cause there will be nothing left of the island to enjoy!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:29 PM

I too actually didn't realize that Richard Rogers was part of the group....knowing that I'm even more disappointed about that design. Apart from an aesthetic that to me feels dated and something out of an architecture students portfolio, I'm not sure it takes the location into account very well. Calgary is a city of blue-skies and wide open spaces.....why exactly would I want to cover all that up? Just so it doesn't snow on me once in a while?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I think for this reason the Arup/Kasian and Halcrow Yolles "reach" proposals will be extremely popular with the public. Conceptually, the bridges are very similar, but I'm leaning toward Arup/Kasian being the better of the two.
Do you think the Arup Kasian Glide proposal would be popular with the public? Us Formers seem to like it, but I would really be curious about the public. Going by some of my friends and family, it seems like the general public might not like it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:30 PM

look at the concrete bridges by the swiss engineer robert maillart if you want to talk about structural elegance using concrete. or look at toyo ito.

the glide just happens to be covered in a concrete facing, but the ACTUAL structure is hidden. look at the section, they have more precast concrete inside!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:31 PM

does anyone not realize that the peace bridge is partially enclosed as well????

think about the elemants (rain, snow) yes, but also think about maintenance, etc. the roof is a good idea.

look at the traditional covered bridges all over the world. snow is an issue friends.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:34 PM

the unfortunate part to me is that we can't see the whole proposal. why do some offices have three - four images, while others only have one?????

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:35 PM

Quote:
does anyone not realize that the peace bridge is partially enclosed as well????
Sure we do, which is why we don't need two of them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:35 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

CMLC has posted the following Open House info for the designs:

PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

All members of the public are invited to view all original materials and submissions for the St. Patrick’s Bridge design competition at the SIMMONS Building in East Village, according to the following schedule.

•Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - Noon-5:00 PM
•Friday, October 16, 2009 - Noon- 5:00 PM
•Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - Noon-5:00 PM
•Friday, October 23, 2009 - Noon -5:00 PM

The Simmons Building is located at 610 Fifth Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta (403.718.0500).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the heck can't they have some open house time during a weekend or evenings? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:38 PM

why would you want to walk around downtown in plus 15's, when you can go outside????????? oh right, snow, rain, cold, etc. imagine the amount of ice that will be on a great deal of those bridges when the freeze thaw hits from the chinooks. no ice on the covered bridges. the saucier and perotte submission knows how to cover a public walking space over a river as well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:39 PM

anybody who thinks that the rogers design and the calatrave design are the same has lost the plot.

you'll see. check my top five. the good ones are in there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:41 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
anybody who thinks that the rogers design and the calatrave design are the same has lost the plot.

you'll see. check my top five. the good ones are in there.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were the only one that could pick favorites out of the bunch.

Edit: Ultimately we all win since we are going to get another sweet bridge crossing the Bow, but that doesn't mean I can't root for my own favorites.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
why would you want to walk around downtown in plus 15's, when you can go outside????????? oh right, snow, rain, cold, etc. imagein the amount of ice that will be on a great deal of those bridges when the freeze thaw hits from the chinooks. no ice on the covered bridges. the saucier and perotte submission knows how to cover a public walking space over a river as well.
Because not everyone is a pussy. There are cities in the country that have much more unpleasant climates than Calgary (Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto even) and they all seem to be doing fine walking outside.

Ice, snow, rain.....that's all part of the outdoors. We can't shelter ourselves from everything all the time, and for some of us who are always stuck indoors anyway, being more in touch with the elements is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:44 PM

Quote:
the unfortunate part to me is that we can't see the whole proposal. why do some offices have three - four images, while others only have one?????
I'd hazard a guess that its because thats all those offices submitted. Especially since this was a conceptual design stage, if they thought they could communicate the concept they are proposing with one image they probably would. Going forward I'd expect to see quite a few more renders for the shortlisted entries once they've been taken past the engineers and the designs take input from the stakeholders

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:44 PM

ahahah

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were the only one that could pick favorites out of the bunch.
Hey now, he knows who Toyo Ito is. Clearly we have a genius among our midst.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates