HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 4:48 AM

Hamilton visit

Hello

I have a close friend who is thinking about applying to go to McMaster next year. To my own shame, I've lived in Toronto for 3 years but have only twice been to Hamilton (parties in the sububrs of Hamilton, rather) so I thought I'd go with her to explore Hamilton a bit, both the university and the downtown area.

I know winter isn't the best time to go visit any city, so I thought to ask you for some inside information. What would the best way to get to McMaster from downtown Toronto, and what do you guys think would be the most interesting areas to visit while in Hamilton.

I appreciate all the inside info and input in advance
Thanks

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:03 AM

You can take GO right to McMaster. Or you can take GO to downtown Hamilton and take the B-Line express bus west to McMaster.

Places to visit:
Westdale Village (on King St. West) for sure because it's close to McMaster.

Locke St. South (west of downtown, south of Main) is a nice little shopping area too.

James St. North has some art galleries

The Bayfront (north on James St.) has some trails and paths if it's not too cold.

There's also Hess Village (Hess St. between Main and King, west of downtown) but it isn't that exciting in the daytime during the winter.

You can walk around downtown too, but it's not the best part of Hamilton.

A really neat residential neighbourhood is located south of Main St. and west of James St. The further toward the escarpment you go the more amazing the homes.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hammer'd

Yep. Flar totally has it covered there.

Enjoy your visit, and do come back
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 3:04 PM
Closed account

also, James South and King East right downtown have a good collection of shops and cafes usually popular with the university crowd. used clothes, records/CD's, bistros and cafes. On King there isn't much to see once you walk east of Wellington.
Also, Ottawa St North has some great shops and some of the best cheap eats in the city. Helens, Logans, Limoncello, Poco Loco - all are awesome and pretty inexpensive.

Also, don't miss the downtown Farmers Market and Central Library - again, both are popular with students.

cheers!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 4:24 PM

Oh I forgot the most obvious place to go if you have time: Sam Lawrence Park for a great view of the city from the mountain.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:32 PM

wicked, thanks for the info.
im planning my visit sometime during this week, maybe if there's another unusally hot canadian winter day
i'll try to take some pictures and post them on
cheers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion