HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 10:27 PM

McMaster and other post-secondary schooling.

I am just curious becuase of the gradient in ages around here and mainly out of curiousity is any one here still a student? is any one an alumni of the illustrious McMaster University or other post-secondary around here? or else where for that matter?

Now to speak directly on McMaster: It is an extremely perplexing place... and most of what I see and hear there makes me extremely... angry or annoyed. I am not trying to be too ideal, like many on this board are known for, but it really is a culture shock. Growing up in East End Hamilton and going to public school mixed with now going to school at McMaster I feel slightly out of my element. I usually describe mac as a day-care for middle class GTA kids and I don't think that I am totally unjustified in saying this. Mainly because it is a school known for it's city of hamilton-exclusive bubble which really effects the integration of out of town sudents into our city. Sure many could argue that the city does not offer what many students want now-a-days, in the way of shopping. But we are not flushed for these options and especially not in dining or entertainment.

I guess I am just curious what others have witnessed felt about this kind of phenomenon. If you went to school in another city or went to mac yourself.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:55 AM
Closed account

Well, I'm an old fart and didn't go to school here, but I've been in enough community meetings with Mac admin types to know that your perception of Mac consisting primarily of middle class GTA kids is true. Only 14% of the student body are foreign students, the rest come from the 905, according to Mac officials. This article appeared in today's spec:

http://www.thespec.com/article/350072

I couldn't help thinking that university students are adults who have come to live in a city of half a million people. As someone who went to school in Toronto, I couldn't imagine thinking that it was anyone's job to make me feel welcome. Am I crazy?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:51 PM

I guess I was mostly kind of curious what the background of everyone here is... not that it matters in the long run.

and I wanted to know what others thought of mac personally either outside it or having been involved.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm a student, go to Mohawk. But I also work at McMaster.

I'm sort of used to this "exclusive bubble" that you mention which I do believe is true for McMaster, not Mohawk. I went to Sherwood high school which probably has 80% white and middle class or rich. It's nearly the same story for McMaster.

When I go to see my uncle who lives in East Hamilton I get a different kind of culture shock.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 4:15 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
I usually describe mac as a day-care for middle class GTA kids and I don't think that I am totally unjustified in saying this. \
this is highly subjective, especially since i only moved here recently, but i'd agree.

i'm doing a master's there, so most people have come from another city in my program, but those from Hamilton are generally older and their world is of course far beyond westdale. for the undergraduates, I would agree that your perception is pretty accurate... as well as that to them the real downtown is a place to drink or dance or maybe eat, but not more. even riding the bus from downtown where i live and back i see a huge disconnect between the two.

among those young adults i've come to know in the city, none have chosen to go to Mac for their undergrad.. some mohawk for college, but all others i know have chosen to go to an out-of-town school if they have further ambition... (sad that only some do). again, highly subjective, but that's what i know.

that said, i know my sister is aiming to get into a B.C. program for midwifery, but Mac is her second choice and both are incredibly competitive programs.. much more than a "day care."

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I couldn't help thinking that university students are adults who have come to live in a city of half a million people. As someone who went to school in Toronto, I couldn't imagine thinking that it was anyone's job to make me feel welcome. Am I crazy?
i'd be cautious to call university students "adults" simply because financial dependence can easily breed irresponsibility, especially in North America where we've extended adolescence to a ridiculous point. Sure, many students are struggling to make it through university and need to grow up quickly. However, there are tons who do it with Mommy and Daddy's money, BMW, and paid tuition without a lick of responsibility (and still somehow end up in debt), and function much more as children needing things "done for them." Not to say its all bad to have tuition paid for and all that, but allowed dependence is not a catalyst for maturity.

its only your job to make them "feel welcome" if you want to make money off it (or attract them to the downtown in general in order to make money there/live there)... we're in a culture obsessed with convenience..Marketing is all about responding to "felt needs" after identifying (or creating) them... and students with disposable income have tons of them, so conveniently placed stores that meet those felt needs are going to encourage them to spend time and money there.

Last edited by emge; Apr 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Well, I'm an old fart and didn't go to school here, but I've been in enough community meetings with Mac admin types to know that your perception of Mac consisting primarily of middle class GTA kids is true. Only 14% of the student body are foreign students, the rest come from the 905, according to Mac officials. This article appeared in today's spec:

http://www.thespec.com/article/350072

That article is hard to read.

It sounds like the 'echo' generation is reaching university age. These kids of privilege who had everything they wanted growing up, now find themselves on their own for the first time, and wonder why no one is holding their hand.

We're doing a huge disservice to our kids by pampering them and telling them that the world is a scary place.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion