HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:55 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

[SA] $415 Million Dollar Venue Tax Plan Set

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...y.28a14c7.html

Proposed projects

If Bexar County voters agree to extend the venue tax — the 1.75 percent levy on hotel rooms and 5 percent tax on rental cars that built the AT&T Center — county commissioners want to issue $415 million in bonds to fund the following projects:

• River improvements $125 million
  • Performing arts center $100 million
  • Amateur sports facilities $80 million
  • AT&T Center $75 million
  • Stock show and rodeo grounds $15 million
  • Freeman Coliseum $10 million
  • Alameda Theater $6 million
  • Briscoe Western Art Museum $4 million

Quote:
Metro | State

AT&T Center, river project score big on venue tax

Web Posted: 01/03/2008 11:37 PM CST

Tracy Idell Hamilton
Express-News

Bexar County commissioners beat back most of Thursday's last-minute requests for venue tax funding, ultimately approving a $415 million package of civic improvement projects that will go before voters in May.

The Dolph and Janie Briscoe Western Art Museum got the $4 million it requested at the special meeting, and the Alameda Theater will receive $6 million of the $10 million it requested.

Thursday's vote ended the months-long jockeying for dollars by all manner of groups hoping to cash in on the bonanza that would be created by extending the venue tax on hotel rooms and car rentals.

The big winners included the San Antonio River Improvements Project, youth and sports facilities and the AT&T Center.

The only major proposal trimmed back by commissioners was a $110 million request for a new performing arts center. It was cut by $10 million to make way for the two late-comers and to add $5 million to fund a new sports complex at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

In February, commissioners will call for an election in May, but the campaign to pass the measure likely will begin immediately.

In 1999, the first time the venue tax appeared on the ballot, the Spurs spent almost $3 million and mobilized thousands of rodeo volunteers in its campaign to pass the tax, which won with more than 60 percent of the vote.

Now, the county hopes to spend more than twice what it paid for the arena. A preliminary analysis by the county's budget office found it could issue $415 million in bonds and expect to pay them off, "conservatively," within 35 to 40 years. That analysis assumes a 5 percent revenue growth rate over the first five years, then 1.75 percent growth thereafter — lower than the county's average recent growth rate of 8 percent.

A similar assumption was made with the bonds issued to pay for the AT&T Center, which is why the original debt will be retired in just over half the time expected.

Budget director David Smith told commissioners that if the same conditions hold, this new debt also could be paid off in substantially less time. But he said the economy could sour, requiring a reassessment.

UTSA's project was the highest rated of all the sports facilities pitched to the committee tasked with ranking amateur sports proposals, but was only awarded $10 million of the $50 million it requested. The last-minute change will bump that up to $15 million.

While funding amounts finally are set, the county still doesn't know whether it will be able to put all the projects into one ballot question. It has sought an opinion from the state attorney general and hopes to hear back by next week.

County Judge Nelson Wolff has argued that one question would be less confusing than splitting them up by project, since people technically are voting on extending the tax, which they should only do once.

"We don't want people thinking they're voting for four new taxes," he has said, "or that if they don't vote for one of the projects, that the tax will be less."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:50 PM

why 10 million for the freeman coliseum why not tear down that eye sore? use the ten million to make the east side look better.oh well, they also said they wanted to make SA an amateur sports mecca that sucks, I want real sports in my city darn it!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbl View Post
why 10 million for the freeman coliseum why not tear down that eye sore? use the ten million to make the east side look better.oh well, they also said they wanted to make SA an amateur sports mecca that sucks, I want real sports in my city darn it!
It will take a hell of a lot more than $10 million to make the east side look better.

Go see an NBA game.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
It will take a hell of a lot more than $10 million to make the east side look better.

Go see an NBA game.
yeah I understand it will take a lot more than ten million to make the east look better but we could use that money for better reasons than the freeman... I love the spurs, but I would love to see an NFL team in my city in my life time

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 7:19 PM

In terms of the east side, you have to work slowly. Right now, EastTown is looking like a boon for the city and hopefully from there the area between EastTown and the at&t center can slowly begin to change for the better. Of course nothing will hope if the city itself isn't proactive. Though I like the SAGE campaign/movement that just recently formed, SAGE standing for San Antonio for Growth on the Eastside.

http://www.sagesanantonio.org

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:21 PM

Why does the AT&T Center need $75 million????? Isn't it new?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Why does the AT&T Center need $75 million????? Isn't it new?
It was built for cheap,$186 million,the Spurs have said they want to do some upgrades I'm not sure what though.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 PM

Kiss the NFL or MLB goodbye for the next 20 years, at least.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
Kiss the NFL or MLB goodbye for the next 20 years, at least.
Why? This wasn't nor has ever been the only funding mechanism that could be used to build a stadium.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Why? This wasn't nor has ever been the only funding mechanism that could be used to build a stadium.
YES. Thank you I have been thinking the same thing, people get paid to come up with other ways to get funding it cannot be like this was the only way to make the money now the one and only plan will kill our dreams for ever...... It will come

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 1:43 AM

There are many other funding mechanisms that could be used int he future besides this venue tax. Though nothing should even be attempted until a team "wants" to come to SA.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 6:26 AM

San Antonians, IMO, won't support another funding mechanism other than the venue tax to bring in a progessional team. Many are too short sighted, and will only think of "stay out of my pocketbook" at all costs, even if it meant bringing in a pro team. The venue tax was the one and only one funding mechanism that most would have felt was not a tax on them, but the visitors. Thus, it is the only tax they would have been approved.

Kiss the NFL and/or MLB goodbye for the next 20 years. IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 6:40 AM
James

and your honest opinion is a correct one

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
San Antonians, IMO, won't support another funding mechanism other than the venue tax to bring in a progessional team. Many are too short sighted, and will only think of "stay out of my pocketbook" at all costs, even if it meant bringing in a pro team. The venue tax was the one and only one funding mechanism that most would have felt was not a tax on them, but the visitors. Thus, it is the only tax they would have been approved.

Kiss the NFL and/or MLB goodbye for the next 20 years. IMHO.
Actually, there are ways to get enough funding for a new stadium without either taxing residents or not taxing very much. Again, the venue tax wasn't the end all be all.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 9:49 AM

^^^^ yep. have faith in our people and our gov and we will find a way.... plus just like kingwilliam said a team has to be for real about coming before we can do something about funding, no more jerks making us salivate over the prospect of getting a new team and then saying nah we just needed the original city to think we were leaving so they would pay up....Stop using SA as a leverage tool. lol sorry tangent....

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 5:48 PM
Bears of antiquity

I love how SA's priority is a pro team instead of, say, improving schools or infrastructure.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I love how SA's priority is a pro team instead of, say, improving schools or infrastructure.
Well, the city and the county can't give money to public schools, they're state run not city or county run. As for Infrastructure, a $550 million dollar bond was just passed this past May that addresses infrastructure. Also, the venue tax can only be used civic projects/needs that can stimulate the tourism industry, since it's a tax that relies pretty much on tourism.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Well, the city and the county can't give money to public schools, they're state run not city or county run. As for Infrastructure, a $550 million dollar bond was just passed this past May that addresses infrastructure. Also, the venue tax can only be used civic projects/needs that can stimulate the tourism industry, since it's a tax that relies pretty much on tourism.
I didn't say where the funding should go, I'm just talking about priorities.

Landing a major league team is a big deal when there are more pressing things to be concerned with.

And I'm sorry I brought up education-- a town where standing around saying "welcome to fiesta texas" and "here's the nix hospital where carol burnett was born" is all you need to get by in the primary industry doesn't require much of an educational foundation, does it?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 11:35 PM
James

eep, those words are a little harsh don't you think alex? There's no reason to attack the city.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I didn't say where the funding should go, I'm just talking about priorities.

Landing a major league team is a big deal when there are more pressing things to be concerned with.
I agree, take care of your city and its quality of life before you bend over backwards for professional sports. I think the city and county finally figured that out.
]
Quote:
And I'm sorry I brought up education-- a town where standing around saying "welcome to fiesta texas" and "here's the nix hospital where carol burnett was born" is all you need to get by in the primary industry doesn't require much of an educational foundation, does it?
Why does that sound so bitter and why is that directed at me as if I wouldn't want better schools for SA (basically the SAISD) but like I said, the city nor the county can do anything about that. Blaming the city on the schools is pointing the finger at the wrong person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio