HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:20 AM

They don't usually remove windows and doors before demolition. They only did that for the 1908 part of Ogilvy for restoration, so it doesn't mean anything.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Last-ditch bid to save 19th century Rideau Street home might fall short

By Michael Woods, Ottawa Citizen May 12, 2014

A community activist’s last-ditch effort to save a 19th-century home on Rideau Street from being demolished might be too little, too late.

Marc Aubin, who plans to run for city council in Rideau-Vanier this fall, says the Stewart-Dworkin House at 236 Rideau Street should be preserved as a treasured piece of the city’s history.

But the city’s planning department says alterations to the home have diminished its architectural significance, and it has lost its contextual value as Rideau Street has been developed.

Demolition of the home just west of King Edward Avenue has already started. Aubin started a petition over the weekend to save it. By Monday evening, the petition had more than 550 signatures.

The home was built in 1877 for John Stewart, a prominent Ottawa contractor whose jobs included the Supreme Court and the West Block of Parliament Hill. The property changed hands a number of times until Abraham Dworkin, a prominent Jewish furrier, and his wife bought the home in 1921. It was home to Dworkin Furs until 2012, when the store closed and developer Phoenix Homes bought the property. There are now plans to build two 26-storey towers on the site.

Aubin recently tracked down the original owner’s descendants in San Diego, California, who sent him a photo of the home from the 1880s. That, along with his other research into the home, should be enough to halt the demolition for now, he said.

“There should be a pause and maybe a re-evaluation of the value of the property at this point,” said Aubin, a former president of the Lowertown Community Association. “I really think they could still go ahead with the two towers and do something maybe to integrate the façade of the house.”

However, the city says the community has known about the home’s fate for some time.

A summary of facts on the building prepared by Sally Coutts, co-ordinator of the city’s heritage services section, said, “Alterations to it over the years have removed its original character and radically diminished its architectural significance.”

Those changes, according to a city heritage survey, are as follows:

The city also said the Dworkin building has lost its contextual value as a result of redevelopment on Rideau Street. The city considers a building’s context an important factor when determining its significance.

That isn’t enough to convince Aubin.

“Some of the features are missing but realistically every heritage building gets altered, and we’ve seen lots of examples of restoration,” he said.

The man he hopes to unseat, Coun. Mathieu Fleury, suggested that Aubin is looking for some early election fodder.

“He’s not a candidate yet, but you can see his positioning. That (demolition) permit was given in December 2013,” he said. “It’s kind of weird to come in now and say, ‘Reconsider, do this, do that.’

“We’re already further down the process.”

Fleury said he has major concerns about what could be built on the site and wants to avoid a “canyon effect” on the corridor. The city is challenging Phoenix’s site plan at the Ontario Municipal Board. But the heritage matter has long been dealt with by the community, he said.

“The process was followed. Red flags weren’t raised,” he said.

The city has designated three other areas where Ottawa’s Jewish community lived and worked upon their arrival in the ByWard Market, Lowertown and Sandy Hill, Coutts wrote in her summary.

“It would make more sense to highlight those aspects of community history than to protect this one structure with little architectural significance and no context.”

Aubin said he plans to file his nomination papers in June, and that preserving heritage buildings will be a cornerstone of his campaign. He said he takes issue with the way the city’s planning department determines heritage designations, saying bureaucrats shouldn’t be making the decisions.

“We really falling short on this, and there doesn’t seem to be any champions on city council that are really taking this seriously,” he said. “People just put their blinders on and say, ‘Well, the experts have said it’s not heritage.’ It’s not as simple as that.”

mwoods@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/michaelrwoods
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/ot...806/story.html

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:39 PM

A couple of hours ago
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VsK1Yjc.jpg[/IMG

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 7:57 PM

^ The Best Blank Walls of America

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:08 AM

The paper version of the article says that it isn't heritage because of modifications like additions, new windows, loss of the porch...

Yet this thing, which is nothing more than a couple brick walls, is considered heritage:

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:

But the city’s planning department says alterations to the home have diminished its architectural significance, and it has lost its contextual value as Rideau Street has been developed.
That makes no sense to me. To me out of current context should increase its heritage value "hey kids, this row of buttugly Claridge "architecture" used to be elegant victorian houses." Which is why the new Beckta building on Elgin is interesting, or the handful of large houses left on Bronson, or the transportation building on rideau street. Using this logic most of the world's heritage buildings should be destroyed. "The Pantheon has lost its contextual value because there are no more intact Roman temples left in Rome"

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:49 AM

As it was happening, I took these pictures. They put up this scaffolding over the sidewalk, but told pedestrians to walk around them. More photos here.

Dworkin Furs by Shel DeF on Flickr

Dworkin Furs by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 3:09 AM

We must have just missed each other again this afternoon!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 3:53 AM

Clearly! I was there at 5:30, what time were you there? One of these days our paths better cross as we're out taking photos!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Right around 6:30pm. I wonder if it's all gone now!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:59 PM

Agreed...approx. 100 nice corner units on the east side without the benefit of additional windows.

Perhaps they should not be called corner units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^ The Best Blank Walls of America

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 3:54 PM

Just need another wall abutting across there on the new building and those inside balconies will become really awesome. Almost an air shaft!

Gotta be one of the worst condo designs in history. They would have been better just to fill it in as one big box.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 4:21 PM

Well all the residents of the two towers will get to know each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Just need another wall abutting across there on the new building and those inside balconies will become really awesome. Almost an air shaft!

Gotta be one of the worst condo designs in history. They would have been better just to fill it in as one big box.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 4:49 PM

Another one bits the dust.

We now only have 3 department store buildings left on Rideau (Chapters (Woolworth), HBC (Freiman's) and Mercury Court (Larocque)), from 7 in the early 90s (Daly Building (T. Lindsey), Caplan's, Ogilvy and now Dworkin, all demolished).

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That makes no sense to me. To me out of current context should increase its heritage value "hey kids, this row of buttugly Claridge "architecture" used to be elegant victorian houses." Which is why the new Beckta building on Elgin is interesting, or the handful of large houses left on Bronson, or the transportation building on rideau street. Using this logic most of the world's heritage buildings should be destroyed. "The Pantheon has lost its contextual value because there are no more intact Roman temples left in Rome"
I agree that the removal of complementary buildings does not negate the significance of a building, but given this sort of thinking there's a good argument to be made here for Heritage districts. You may have areas where no single building has overwhelming heritage significance, but the collection is significant.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The paper version of the article says that it isn't heritage because of modifications like additions, new windows, loss of the porch...

Yet this thing, which is nothing more than a couple brick walls, is considered heritage:

I do not like your negativity. Please stop. Thanks.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 8:22 PM

There are good arguments for and against its retention, but their site plan application has been on DevApps since May 7, 2013, why did those who want to keep it wait a year to make a point of this?

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
There are good arguments for and against its retention, but their site plan application has been on DevApps since May 7, 2013, why did those who want to keep it wait a year to make a point of this?
I think the research of the house has been ongoing for quite a while, but it took them by surprise that this was being demolished right now.

Also, I didn't know this but 256 Rideau is apparently one of the few remaining Jewish landmarks in Lowertown. Not too many remain, and people are upset with that.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 9:58 PM

This afternoon. This is taking forever!!!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McButterpants View Post
I do not like your negativity. Please stop. Thanks.
You're kidding me, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Also, I didn't know this but 256 Rideau is apparently one of the few remaining Jewish landmarks in Lowertown. Not too many remain, and people are upset with that.
At least we still have Freiman's. That said, I don't even think it's been declared heritage yet.

Harley613, I too would like to thank you for all your hard work the last few days. You've covered pretty much everything!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa