HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I was waiting for this shoe to drop. CFL is a better gridiron football league than MLS as an association football league.

(I realize there are way more leagues in contention for the latter but still
..)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I've heard a lot of people celebrating it as Toronto's "first major international championship" since the Jays and would say the hype is bigger than the Argos was. I still think it pales to what a Raptors or Jays championship would bring, and obviously a Leafs cup would be apocalyptic.
Gotta keep moving the goalpost. The argument over which teams are considered "major league" always comes down to "the teams I like are better". It's popped up recently on Reddit with tons of people saying "Toronto finally wins a championship (Argos don't count)" and it's like... you know the only reason you consider Toronto a cursed, unsuccessful sports city is yourself, right?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:55 AM

Toronto continues to win championships in not hockey

(But then again, the Marlies were in first place in the AHL last time I checked...)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was waiting for this shoe to drop. CFL is a better gridiron football league than MLS as an association football league.

(I realize there are way more leagues in contention for the latter but still
..)
Not wasting any more of my life on that debate.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:25 AM

Dominant Toronto dominates as usual.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aren't TFC "Canada's team"?
Does it check any of Regina's civic identity boxes though?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:25 PM

Well this is weird

Quote:
A scheduled World Wrestling Entertainment debut at the brand new Rogers Place arena in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on 2/9/18 was canceled after new regulations banning all forms of combat sports were enacted by the city's council following the June death of a boxer following an Edmonton fight.

The Rogers Place website announced the cancellation with the following announcement "Following new guidelines established by Edmonton’s city council, WWE’s event on Friday, February 9 at Rogers Place has been postponed. The WWE is working closely with the local Commission, and hope to return with their sports entertainment events to Edmonton in the near future."

The Edmonton city council announced on 12/8 that they were placing a one year moratorium on new permits or licenses for anything that fell under the umbrella of combat sports, which for some reason, has included WWE, despite the fact that the company's product is anything but an actual, legitimate combat sports competition. The moratorium is scheduled to stand until December 2018.

The moratorium was enacted after the June death of boxer Tim Hauge following a fight card held in the city. There has been criticism of the city council for enacting the ban after UFC held an event in September, with critics believing they waited until after that event instead of just immediately issuing the ban.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Well this is weird
What is, the ban or the fact WWE is covered by it?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:09 PM

the fact WWE are under that umbrella

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's that surprising. Pro wrestling is a very physical and dangerous show. There's been plenty of people who have died or been seriously injured in the ring from performing moves incorrectly. Hayabusa, Droz, Perro Aguayo, Mitsuharu Misawa... it's a long list. It's far more comparable to MMA or boxing in terms of physicality than it is to anything else. If the concern of the board is to prevent someone else dying in a manner similar to Hauge, you'd have to include wrestling.

The interesting thing to me is that WWE is likely the safest wrestling promotion in the world. The people that Edmonton should be going after are the independent promotions made up of guys who have less experience or (in some cases) are completely unfit to be in the ring. That's where the real danger in pro wrestling lies.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:53 PM

^ Does that Edmonton commission really need to go after the top-level circuits like UFC, WWE, the major boxing promotions (I don't follow boxing so I don't know who they are)? I would think that to be participating at that level you have to be fully established and have proven that you are elite. You don't really hear about that many mismatches in the upper echelons... those people generally know what they're doing.

I completely agree with EpicPonyTime, the real risk is in the small time promotions where you have dabblers, or guys either just starting out or way past their prime who can end up going against seriously dangerous guys. In other words, the Tim Hague situation. That's what the group in Edmonton should be focusing on.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
They shouldn't be. That's one of the reasons why VKM changed the name to WWE. He went before the legislature at New Jersey IIRC to get the WWF to be seen as entertainment and not a legitimate athletic contest to avoid certain taxes and not be under the auspices of a state athletic commission.

‘Sports Entertainment’ is born

February 10 1989 was the day the facade died, as in front of the State of New Jersey Senate on a bill to remove Wrestling from the regulations that had been applied by the Athletic Commissions, Vince McMahon, representing the World Wrestling Federation, stated that professional wrestling should be defined as "an activity in which participants struggle hand-in-hand primarily for the purpose of providing entertainment to spectators rather than conducting a bona fide athletic contest."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:08 PM

^ But the reality is that wrestling still faces the same issues as UFC and boxing. Even if the outcome is predetermined, you still have the potential problems of inexperienced participants who are unsafe due to lack of knowledge/fitness, potential for serious harm, CTE issues, etc.

Just because McMahon stopped calling it wrestling and started calling it 'sports entertainment' shouldn't be enough to weasel out of submitting to any regulatory oversight whatsoever.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:21 PM

At the end of the day this solidifies the Argos at BMO for the long haul. They have access to a giant marketing machine. It's a win win

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
At the end of the day this solidifies the Argos at BMO for the long haul. They have access to a giant marketing machine. It's a win win

Agree, and they're no longer a tenant. As one of MLSE's sports properties, BMO Field is their stadium in every sense of the word. Rumour has it that BMO Field will add more seats. Maybe they should be blue. The Toronto Effcees won't like it but ....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:49 PM

Will you actually go?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:50 PM

Wish TFC would've gone blue and white in the first place. Homogeneity across a city's teams is always cool to see. Guess the Raptors already ruined that decades ago though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Wish TFC would've gone blue and white in the first place. Homogeneity across a city's teams is always cool to see. Guess the Raptors already ruined that decades ago though.
Makes exposure in the market difficult, though. Difficult to make an impact if your merchandise can't be discerned from a distance from every other local team.

If you see a bunch of people in Toronto with red and white shirts or red and white scarves you know exactly what team it is - if they were blue and white they would stick out less.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Well this is weird
Then they should ban hockey too...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post

Very happy for the Argos and the CFL.

Maybe MLSE's enormous marketing machinery can turn Toronto into more of a football market. If Toronto ever gets fully behind the Argonauts, the CFL will be swimming in money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada