HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 10:34 PM

Vermont at Wilshire. Eastern tower is working on the 21st floor, with it's counterpart one floor behind.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
Sounds like the release of Zumthor's LACMA plan is imminent. Will be interesting to see what time frame they come up with and if construction ends up being simultaneous with the LACMA West movie museum project.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

If He Builds It, You Will Come
Michael Govan is the quiet powerhouse who put the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on the map. Now, with a new proposal for an ambitious museum expansion, he hopes to radically redefine how the public engages art—and shift the center of the art world west.

Govan's unorthodox plan for revealing the new design suggests the canniness that has made him, at 49, one of the highest-paid museum directors in America. Rather than taking place within the bureaucratic walls of a county planning office, Zumthor's plan will be part of a design exhibition sponsored by one of LACMA's competitors, the Getty Foundation. "The Presence of the Past: Peter Zumthor Reconsiders LACMA," opening June 9 at LACMA's Resnick Pavilion, will reveal a model of the proposal alongside a display of LACMA's checkered architectural history and a small retrospective of Zumthor's work.

Zumthor's plan, in its current form, involves removing four of LACMA's eight existing buildings—including a troublesome mishmash of mid–to–late–20th century architecture, which often compels museum-goers to duck in and out of disconnected pavilions during a visit—and replacing them with the museum of the future that Govan has been building in his head since he was an art student. Glass walls that permit the museum's art to be viewed from as far away as Wilshire Boulevard are key elements of Zumthor's prototype, which would connect other buildings—including a beloved Japanese pavilion and an Academy of Motion Pictures museum—with an indoor-outdoor art park
im very excited about this. i Cant wait to see the renderings

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Vermont at Wilshire. Eastern tower is working on the 21st floor, with it's counterpart one floor behind.

The impact that these two buildings already have on the Mid-Wilshire skyline can't be overstated. The view directly south from Children's Hospital (Vermont/Sunset) is very impressive and it'll only get better when these things top out. Great additions to a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
The impact that these two buildings already have on the Mid-Wilshire skyline can't be overstated. The view directly south from Children's Hospital (Vermont/Sunset) is very impressive and it'll only get better when these things top out. Great additions to a great neighborhood.
Have to agree. When I drove to Santa Monica on the 10 last weekend I could easily tell where they were. Fantastic addition, gives Wilshire a better sense of urban canyon.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Ha! It's funny you say that (though judging by the UN you probably work there huh?) - I was in the parking structure at Sunset / Alexandria and got an amazing view of the DTLA - Mid-Wilshire skyline. These towers definitely stand out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I apologize for the quality of a the photograph (I don't have a decent zoom lens yet), but here's the view of the Vermont from my roof.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 9:58 PM
:o

Wow, great shot. Really shows the density of the area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:02 PM

I envy the view from your place, District! I recall you had some pretty epic shots from the roof in a picture thread a few months back.

Just for fun, here's an approximation of what the dimensions of the finished product will be from the view in the above picture, assuming they do in fact top out at 28 and 22 stories.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I envy the view from your place, District! I recall you had some pretty epic shots from the roof in a picture thread a few months back.

Just for fun, here's an approximation of what the dimensions of the finished product will be from the view in the above picture, assuming they do in fact top out at 28 and 22 stories.
OMG...great minds think alike. We were doing the same thing at the same time.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 8:20 AM

Not to continue gushing on about these towers, but they really do help give Koreatown it's own skyline. Now all we need is Westlake to eventually turn around in order to link downtown and Ktown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Gorgeous images of Mid-Wilshire! I will be home over the summer, cant wait to take the Red Line into Vermont & Wilshire.

So much potential for the area between K-town & DTLA.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 5:21 PM

Hey guys, just saw this post on Curbed:

Quote:
It seems like no one likes poor Santa Monica Airport except all those rich people flying Cessnas over the Westside. Plans are in the works to reduce flights and possibly close the airport altogether when its agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration ends in 2015, and movement is coming on the latter, according to outgoing City Councilmember Bill Rosendahl. The retiring politician is hosting a public forum on closing the airport tomorrow afternoon at the Gymnasium of the Penmar Park Rec Center in Venice. Heavy-hitters will be in attendance, including State Senator Ted Lieu and Congressman Henry Waxman. "The forum will feature health and safety experts who will discuss the effects of flight operations next to homes in Mar Vista and Venice," Rosendahl says in a statement. "There will also be a presentation on the research findings of pollution from lead, noise, and fine particulates. The neighborhood council subcommittee on the issue will also present a summary of findings from its report." Assume the findings to be of the negative variety. The Santa Monica City Council on Tuesday will devote their entire meeting to airport issues, including possibly repaving the runway and, of course, shuttin' her down for good.
Worth keeping an eye on, as the current height cap in Century City is a direct result of the FAA regulations re: the Santa Monica Airport. If they shut down SaMo, we could wind up with a couple proposals that break through the CC plateau!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
OMG...great minds think alike. We were doing the same thing at the same time.
Your version looks professionally done compared to my etch-a-sketch drawing, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Hey guys, just saw this post on Curbed:

Worth keeping an eye on, as the current height cap in Century City is a direct result of the FAA regulations re: the Santa Monica Airport. If they shut down SaMo, we could wind up with a couple proposals that break through the CC plateau!
Not a whole lot of land left to develop in Century City these days. The vacant lot on Solar Way is spoken for. I think there are some surface lots next to BHHS? Maybe they'll develop part of the golf course down the line.

What really interests me is what happens with airport land should they indeed shut the entire thing down in 2015.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Not a whole lot of land left to develop in Century City these days.

What really interests me is what happens with airport land should they indeed shut the entire thing down in 2015.
Yeah, that's true. I do wonder though if any of the developers of the currently proposed towers -- 10000 Santa Monica, the Century Plaza Hotel's twin towers, CC Center -- might consider adding height if the airport shuts down.

I'm also curious to know what would go in the airport's place... but I'm not holding my breath for anything other than more single family houses. Or a golf course.

If it was up to me -- besides finally connecting the streets that dead end on either side of the airport -- I'd love to see a big municipal park. The development of the last bit of Playa del Rey wetlands is going to leave the Westside with depressingly little open space.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:53 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

This will be interesting in a few ways because ...
I'm looking at his former works, and he wouldn't
know a curved line if it bit him in the ass!

Only the Saint Benedict Chapel, about the
size of a hut, is curved in any way, certainly
not the soaring, waving, undulating curves that
have been promised here in Hancock Park.

This may be his first large scale, curved piece.
I didn't even see that much glass!

ZUMTHOR'S GLASS HOUSE, APRIL 25, 2013
SSC

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:43 PM

Here's the new Southwestern Law School student housing building seen this afternoon. It looks a little different from the original renderings (less glass), but I personally still think it turned out well.

As a bonus, here's the ever-popular Vermont towers again.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:28 PM
Ascension

Looks like the facade will start appearing soon. Interested to see how it looks.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:20 PM

Walked by Wilshire and La Brea for the first time in a while today. The BRE apartment building looks particularly huge on the La Brea side. Here it is seen from 8th St.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:43 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Appreciate the photo updates, Muji.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Walked by Wilshire and La Brea for the first time in a while today. The BRE apartment building looks particularly huge on the La Brea side. Here it is seen from 8th St.

massive!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations