HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 12:13 AM

Pieds-à-terre

If you look up at many of the more upscale new towers in NYC on any given night, there are lots of dark apartments as their owners only use them intermittently as pieds-à-terre. The NY Times ran an article a year or two ago that essentially said that some "full-time" owners of condos in these new buildings feel that they are alone and it is kind of spooky.

Ah, rich people problems...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post
If you look up at many of the more upscale new towers in NYC on any given night, there are lots of dark apartments as their owners only use them intermittently as pieds-à-terre. The NY Times ran an article a year or two ago that essentially said that some "full-time" owners of condos in these new buildings feel that they are alone and it is kind of spooky.

Tell me about it. I wonder why there is such a damand for these complexes if no one seems to really be living in them?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
I wonder why there is such a damand for these complexes if no one seems to really be living in them?
The demand is because people buy them. If no one were buying, this tower and others like it wouldn't be built. It doesn't matter the amount of time actually spent there. Say for example, you have a home in France, but you can only go there a couple of weeks out of the year. It's still yours, and you'll go there when you can or when you prefer.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The demand is because people buy them. If no one were buying, this tower and others like it wouldn't be built. It doesn't matter the amount of time actually spent there. Say for example, you have a home in France, but you can only go there a couple of weeks out of the year. It's still yours, and you'll go there when you can or when you prefer.
lol yeah I understand. I have a home like that in the Dominican Republic. But I would at least think people to spend more time in their multimillion dollar penthouse. I mean if you only live there for a month out of the year, why did you invest in such a place? The rich are complicated organisms

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:35 AM

I'd imagine some of the high rollers rent the places out to other high rollers for the week as well.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcco View Post

Psh, seriously man. Wish my biggest concern in life was that my full-floor apartment felt "spooky."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'd imagine some of the high rollers rent the places out to other high rollers for the week as well.
Billionaires don't rent out their homes, LOL. I'm sure they let friends use the places, but even then, most of the people buying here will probably be in NYC less than half of the year.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Billionaires don't rent out their homes, LOL.
Richard Branson does!

http://www.neckerisland.virgin.com/
http://hereisthecity.com/2011/08/25/...rivate-island/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:41 AM
Build Baby Build

Don't forget that lots of the buyers are distrustful of their own governments, and having some real estate in the states is a backup plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were millions of dollars of cash held in some of these empty billionaire's apartments as 'emergency' liquidity in case they get into trouble in some way. Especially after the Bo Xilai scandal and the various billionaires locked up in Russia by the Putin administration. I'm looking at the Chinese and Russians in particular....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
But I would at least think people to spend more time in their multimillion dollar penthouse. I mean if you only live there for a month out of the year, why did you invest in such a place?
Because they can, and if you can afford it, why not own a piece of property in one of the top buildings of one of the world's greatest cities? New York has stood the test of time, as far as these things go.

larrygindoff

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 27, 2012 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:16 PM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:59 PM

Oh my God, the glass on this building is amazing! There's finally enough up to get a sense of what the final structure will look like

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:11 PM

I walked by yesterday and was blown away. This bldg is really going to be a new landmark.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:29 PM

Is the facade pre-determined or are the different colors just thrown in different places without a conscious choice of placement?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ The glass panels are built to exact specs based on where in the structure they will be placed (and numbered accordingly), so it's definitely pre-determined. As to whether or not that pre-determined color placement was random, done by a computer program, or manually by a designer, I'm sure Christian de Portzamparc could answer that.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I walked by yesterday and was blown away. This bldg is really going to be a new landmark.
Agreed. This building is incredible. Can't wait to see what Extell's got planned for 225!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:25 AM

I didn't see the glass on the east side on 58th st until today and was rather amazed at the construction of the tower @ 120 west 57th st.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

The new king of 57th Street, at least until a newer king comes along.

Some shuttle love for One57...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sli...-york-16154732

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:26 PM

I can't see or say for sure but i think the glass on the east side of the building is frosted or pixelated. I don't know what else to call it but if you look closely you will see it. It reminded me of the IAC building in NYC. Someone with exterior design knowledge might be able to help us out.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:22 AM

Maybe I skipped over an explanation on the thread, but could someone explain why the color of the glass on the East side of the building looks more faded than that of the West side? At first I thought that it was film that they were waiting to remove, but now I'm doubting that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive