HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:06 AM

Cool AUSTIN | 606 East 3rd | Feet | Floors | Proposed

I was searching for info about about possible hotel operators for the projects that haven't announced their hotel brands yet when I came across this ~41-story project. I don't ever recall hearing about this Le Meridien Hotel & Condo project on Red River before. This would be north of the Fairmont and have a public observation deck. Does anyone know if this is an old project or just a vision? It says the architect/developer is seeking financing. I guess it would be key to know if the site is owned by someone connected to this project.

http://ehmarch.com/hospitality/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 28, 2022 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:43 AM

If the Le Meridien Hotel is a legit project, it would have to be built on the block where Moonshine Patio is based on the project's reference to Waller Creek and the convention center.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:51 AM

Legit or not, I don't see Waller Creek in any of those renderings.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Legit or not, I don't see Waller Creek in any of those renderings.
It's not in the renderings - nothing makes sense in the renderings as far as the adjacent area is depicted. But the project's description says the rear of the property fronts Waller Creek and will have a creekside pub.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
If the Le Meridien Hotel is a legit project, it would have to be built on the block where Moonshine Patio is based on the project's reference to Waller Creek and the convention center.
The web site says that it will be "a few blocks away" from 6th St. That sounds like the southeast corner of 3rd and Red River to me.
That would also make more sense as it also says "the rear of the property fronts Waller Creek".

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The web site says that it will be "a few blocks away" from 6th St. That sounds like the southeast corner of 3rd and Red River to me.
That would also make more sense as it also says "the rear of the property fronts Waller Creek".
I don't think it will fit on that site because of Palm Park. The park doesn't stop at the east side of the creek. It is also includes the west side of the creek on the 3rd St. side of the block.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Reminds me of a bastard child of the Monarch and the Bowie.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 9:16 PM
Member since 2001

This seems like a design firm looking for a job. I would not give it too much credence at this point.

In fact, I would expect LeMéridien would be quite pissed with their name attached to a "development" with out a developer (or funding). Is a cease and desist order forthcoming?!?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:26 PM
lurker

As someone mentioned on the Facebook page. This lot is one that is a prime location for the ACC to expand onto. With them looking for funding, they could incorporate large conference spaces at the bottom, maybe get some city investment. But ill agree that this tower is ugly and would hopefully get some makeover. I do like that they want to put a rooftop public observation area and restaurant.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:56 PM
Meh

I've always thought that if we're going to have a public observation somewhere that having it in a hotel near the convention center would be the best place. It doesn't make for much interesting street scenes to look at down below (since the convention center gobbled up a few of them), but it does create a protected view since the convention center will likely never go so vertical that it would block the view from any neighboring towers. Ideally, I wish the Fairmont had gone with their original design and had an observation deck, because the location of that hotel is perfect to take in the views of the bulk of downtown to the north. From the upper floors, it probably would have been possible to see the Capitol dome and UT Tower even.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:28 AM
World Traveler

And from that general location, you could have a 270 degree deck - south toward Rainey, west across downtown, and north up toward UT, etc. A deck facing east probably wouldn't be utilized as there's not as much cool stuff to look at, comparatively. You also have all the hills to the west.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:22 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

For the love of God, stop giving this crap lip service. It is not a real project. And, please delist it from Austin projects.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 5:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
For the love of God, stop giving this crap lip service. It is not a real project. And, please delist it from Austin projects.
It's worth keeping an eye on this lot, whether or not this project itself is going forward. We can rename the thread once a real project is announced down the line.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's worth keeping an eye on this lot, whether or not this project itself is going forward. We can rename the thread once a real project is announced down the line.
May I suggest renaming the tread to the lot's name? It will be a long time before anything is built on this site. And from what I understand, Le Meridien is not pleased that their name is tied to some design firm's "dream."

Should this be a real project and Le Meridien is involved...all I can say for sure is that they are not happy about their brand being tied to it (for now).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:09 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
May I suggest renaming the tread to the lot's name? It will be a long time before anything is built on this site. And from what I understand, Le Meridien is not pleased that their name is tied to some design firm's "dream."

Should this be a real project and Le Meridien is involved...all I can say for sure is that they are not happy about their brand being tied to it (for now).
I actually agree. Renaming the thread for now is probably smart.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 3:28 PM

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
They'll be moved... There's no way that this is just going to stop mid-construction for a few small houses.

Edit: see next page's newer info.

Last edited by wwmiv; Feb 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
They'll be moved... There's no way that this is just going to stop mid-construction for a few small houses.
Why do they have to be moved exactly? I don't understand the motive. It's my understanding that the convention center owns the historic house that's already been moved there. It's not like these other two house are obstructing construction. What is the purpose. Is it because Manchester wants to clear the land so that the convention center will eventually expand over Red River (which would certainly bode well for the Fairmont) or what's the deal. That would be absurd if they halted construction over this. What an eyesore that would be for years and what a sunk cost for them. There's no way.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Update to this article:

"This story has been significantly corrected. The project in question is not, in fact, the Fairmont hotel, but an adjacent project being developed in conjunction with the hotel and the redevelopment of Palm Park."

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
Update to this article:

"This story has been significantly corrected. The project in question is not, in fact, the Fairmont hotel, but an adjacent project being developed in conjunction with the hotel and the redevelopment of Palm Park."
Any more details on that project? Sounds like redevelopment of that adjacent lot that the convention center is spearheading.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin