HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yes, urban - that's definitely a great way to describe a lot of the crowd.
Another word to describe them is diverse - a lot of non-white people at the games... many Asian and African-American.
I would surmise that few black people in Toronto are African-Americans!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:12 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
??? Are you familiar with how a network operates?
Yeah i am, if you dont like toronto productions or channels then dont sign up for a toronto based service. That includes Rogers, Bell Media, etc. Simple.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:14 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You'd be surprised. A good amount of US immigration is black, but yeah they are a minority of the afro-Canadian crowd.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Keep trolling dude, i have better things to do with my time than getting into a long exchange with mouth breathing grade 6 educated insecure trolls from the sticks.
For a guy with a supposed masters you sure seem insecure. I attended the oldest chartered university in Canada but old is no good. It's no insult to me that you call anybody else not from the great metropolis, hicks and hillbillies. I consider it a complement to be differentiated from you. I'm not familiar with disrespecting women and the peeny insults that you and your intelligentsia buds deem so important.

Last edited by elly63; Jan 31, 2016 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah i am, if you dont like toronto productions or channels then dont sign up for a toronto based service. That includes Rogers, Bell Media, etc. Simple.
Over the air, I believe you suggested.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
There are no Canadian anglophone sports networks that are not based in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of that classic line in the film gem "Pray for me Paul Henderson"

Woman (in Toronto) to black kid: Where are you from Russell?
Russell: Halifax, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Woman: No, I mean before that, what island are you from?
Russell: Cape Breton, Cape Breton Island

lol

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:27 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Looking at CIS attendance figures for proof of Toronto being a "real" basketball city doesn't make any sense. College sports are simply not a big part of the culture here.

I think a better barometer would be participation rates in the sport, particularly amongst those who play it competitively at the high school level. Would anyone have any numbers for that?
In the city of Toronto, basketball courts are ubiquitous, in the suburbs, soccer fields, with the occasional baseball diamond in public parks. Football fields exist in some schools but are usually used for soccer or cricket outside school hours.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:34 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
There are no Canadian anglophone sports networks that are not based in Toronto.
Theres a reason for that, people would rather watch Toronto based cable networks. Imagine a Regina based network like elly63 fantasizes about, all Rough Riders, high school sports and curling 24-7. Noone wants to see that in this country outside of a few online fanboys. If people dont like Toronto based networks theyre free to start their own, this a democratic capitalistic society, theres any number of western based cable companies such as Telus and Shaw, if there was a demand nationwide it will be served. Crapping on Toronto is a cop out and obstinate denial of a fundamental reality.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:36 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Over the air, I believe you suggested.
Over the air channels sure, if you dont like cable channels based in Toronto. But i take it your local over the air channels dont have what you want either? But then youncouldnt call other people wannabes could you.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Football fields exist in some schools but are usually used for soccer or cricket outside school hours.
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, and lighting for nighttime games. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, lighting and bleachers. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

Is football really that unimportant in Toronto? Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???
To put it bluntly, football is an old stock Canadian sport. My high school was predominantly East Asian, South Asian. We did have quite few white people, but by that age they were setting their sights on hockey/the OHL if they were athletic. The rest were the nerdy type that had no interest in sports. So there weren't too many kids interested in playing football. The catholic school down the street had a football field and team, but our school used our field for soccer.

Bizarrely, we did muster up a lacrosse team.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:42 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Bizarre. All six high schools in Moncton have football fields, two of them with artificial surfaces, expensive scoreboards, and lighting for nighttime games. In addition, there is a dedicated football field at Centennial Park used by the Moncton Minor Football Association, and as a communal football field by several of the high schools (especially for playoffs). It has artificial turf too, as well as a 2,500 seat grandstand. For the provincial football championships, it isn't uncommon to have 4,000 people attending the game.

I dont think its a Toronto vs rest of the country thing, its an urban rural thing. In Vancouver and Toronto soccer is considerably more popular among youth than gridiron football. I would assume the same for Montreal but dont recall seeing many sports fields in downtown Montreal, i haven't really explored its suburbs. The situation is even more extreme in Vancouver than Toronto, many schools dont even have highschool football programs at all. In the 80's at the height of the NASL's popularity, soccer had around 5 million youth participants (under 24), now its almost 30 million in North America.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Over the air channels sure, if you dont like cable channels based in Toronto. But i take it your local over the air channels dont have what you want either?
Still clueless as to what a network is, I see.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Just how bad is the disconnect between Toronto and the rest of the country anyway???
That is the crux of most of these debates. They think that the ROC is just like them

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Theres a reason for that, people would rather watch Toronto based cable networks. Imagine a Regina based network like elly63 fantasizes about, all Rough Riders, high school sports and curling 24-7. Noone wants to see that in this country outside of a few online fanboys. If people dont like Toronto based networks theyre free to start their own, this a democratic capitalistic society, theres any number of western based cable companies such as Telus and Shaw, if there was a demand nationwide it will be served. Crapping on Toronto is a cop out and obstinate denial of a fundamental reality.
Uhh no, historically the first television available across the country were networks based in Montreal and Toronto, which leads to the situation we still have. Those original webs served the country not just Toronto.

The ratings for sports you denigrate like curling and CFL across the country dwarf basketball and the other American college sports we are now being force fed (because of financial reasons). But because they are being exposed they are building an audience that Canadian sports that aren't exposed cannot.

No one has an issue that the networks are Toronto based the issue is that their coverage is becoming uber increasingly Toronto centric.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:54 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Uhh no, historically the first television available across the country were networks based in Montreal and Toronto, which leads to the situation we still have. Those original webs served the country not just Toronto.

The ratings for sports you denigrate like curling and CFL across the country dwarf basketball and the other American college sports we are now being force fed (because of financial reasons). But because they are being exposed they are building an audience that Canadian sports that aren't exposed cannot.

No one has an issue that the networks are Toronto based the issue is that their coverage is becoming uber increasingly Toronto centric.
They may have started here but as has been repeatedly stated, if theyre so oppressive and offensive then noones stopping other parts of the country from building their own media nodes, clearly theres a market for Toronto tastes across the country and not so much for the type of television content youre cheerleading for in other parts of the country.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
They may have started here but as has been repeatedly stated, if theyre so oppressive and offensive then noones stopping other parts of the country from building their own media nodes, clearly theres a market for Toronto tastes across the country and not so much for the type of television content youre cheerleading for in other parts of the country.
If there are markets for what you are suggesting and considering the GTA is the biggest and logically would be catered to, why are NBA and TFC TV ratings so minuscule. They don't even rate well for the GTA let alone the ROC. And yet something like curling gets higher ratings. Oh, I know, NBA and TFC fans don't watch TV because the hicks and hillbillies in the ROC aren't cognizant as to how a handheld devices works.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:06 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
That is the crux of most of these debates. They think that the ROC is just like them
No they dont, another asinine obstinate comment. The difference between you and others is some of us respect the diversity within Canada and some of you choose to verbally abuse regions just because they dont reflect your existing reality. I accept that Quebec speaks a different language and has different priorities to Southern Ontario, i also dont watch many of their media productions because i dont necessarily relate to them. Yet, i still accept them and dont put them down because theyre different. I couldnt give a rats behind where you live or what you do for fun and i accept your different taste. Where i draw the line and where i start dishing back the insults is when you put down my region and my home because it doesnt fit into your caricature of what Canada should be, just accept were different to wherever youre from, just tune out if it bothers you or do something about it and lobby local cable companies to only put on content you find agreeable, good luck with that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I couldnt give a rats behind where you live or what you do for fun and i accept your different taste.
Really? Then why the hicks and hillbillies and living in the sticks insults? You say you are educated, why lower yourself to these insults, you were even suspended for doing so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada