HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

501 Congress in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:40 PM

To bad it comes with a 1,200 car parking garage. They can't be good for the street scape.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:50 PM
YIMBY co-founder

^At least the 1200 car parking garage is a separate building. Which would make it easier to redevelop it into a office or residential tower if demand picks up and better transit arrives.
800' in Austin. I'm totally jealous.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 7:26 PM

Tom Stacey doesn't have the best record following through with his grand projects, so I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Parking garage and office tower are good bets. 800' hotel and condo tower is not.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin' in the city View Post
To bad it comes with a 1,200 car parking garage. They can't be good for the street scape.
There is a parking garage in Downtown Dallas across the street from Bank of America Plaza (72 stories; 1,900,000 sqft.) that is around the same size (14 stories; 1,290 spaces) and it doesn't stick out that much.

The link below is a great shot in Google Maps - Street View of the garage.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...10507655180616

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 9:27 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:09 AM
Meh

That doesn't look like 830 feet to me. I like it though. Besides showing the two towers, that rendering also shows the parking garage across the street (foreground).

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:31 AM

Are there any examples of parking garages redeveloped as habitable space? A good deal of the floorspace of a normal parking garage is sloping for internal access ramps, so there would be the potential for very interesting interior spaces if the ramps are redeveloped creatively.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That doesn't look like 830 feet to me. I like it though. Besides showing the two towers, that rendering also shows the parking garage across the street (foreground).
In relation to the BoA building it looks okay, but the BoA building looks too small compared to Frost, making TStacy look too small overall.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 9:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I doubt that rendering is really to scale, so I wouldn't look too much in how tall it looks.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:51 PM

i stretched the rendering to make the condo tower 830'. This is how it should really look.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Yikes. I hope that is not what it will look like.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 7:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I like it alot actually, thanks for adding the height to bring it more to scale. I think it really looks sharp.(both in terms of design and also looks very sharp litterally LOL)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:20 PM

I did a quick model of the latest TStacy buildings, based on the above drawing and what little info we've gotten so far. I just used the texture from my old TStacy model on this one, but really I was more interested in seeing the size of the building. Hotel/condo tower is 830', the office tower is 420'. Enjoy!

I made the side of the office building facing Congress slanting, like the earlier version. Just speculation on my part. I seem to remember reading that they were planning on a small green space at the corner of 5th and Congress in front of the office building, but I couldn't locate that info online. But the slant would allow room for that.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 5:01 PM

That looks impressive. I really like the size and I know it's not an accurate representation based on the roughness of the renderings, but hopefully there will be more textures to it.

I think you said previously that you're version of the Trammel Crow towers aren't quite as big as the reports say 700+ feet, if you were to make those adjustments to the large tower how would the skyline look.

I know I know.. more work, but in my defense I'm just curious as to how that would look.

Doug

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 5:26 PM

will you post a screen-shot looking up congress? im curious to see how much the office tower will lean over the street.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 10:14 PM

very nice priller

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny View Post
will you post a screen-shot looking up congress? im curious to see how much the office tower will lean over the street.
Keep in mind I don't know if it will lean at all, that's total speculation on my part. But here's a view down congress:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:11 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Keep in mind I don't know if it will lean at all, that's total speculation on my part. But here's a view down congress:

I don't think this would be possible. The Capitol View Corridor for Congress and the Congress Avenue Historic District require buildings above a certain height (90 feet or so?) to step back above that height, just as Frost Bank and other newer buildings do. Ironically, I believe it was construction of the Bank of America tower (or whatever the black one on that block is called) that created the interest in passing those ordinances.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:48 AM
on the south side

Priller, I think the only one I'm missing is 21 C.

Great job!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 4:25 AM
Savor the Flavor

Here is my own representation. Some of the models are done by priller and another guy named Doug. I don't now how to create a face on a twisting tower like this without splitting the face in half. Those who use sketchup may or may not know what I am talking about. Sorry for the large pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive