HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:45 PM

I noticed there hasn't been a lot of new posts lately and the few new ones are mainly political. I stopped signing on to facebook because of the political back and forth and hateful comments. Though I'm sure my post will go largely ignored, I would ask that we have a separate political views thread so when we go to off topic no one should expect to see this, no one wins conversations, on a forum I go to to escape this sort of thing. I live by the 3 H's, Hate no one, Hurt no one, Help one another get through this life. The whole populous of the world needs to take a gigantic

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:39 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I noticed there hasn't been a lot of new posts lately and the few new ones are mainly political. I stopped signing on to facebook because of the political back and forth and hateful comments. Though I'm sure my post will go largely ignored, I would ask that we have a separate political views thread so when we go to off topic no one should expect to see this, no one wins conversations, on a forum I go to to escape this sort of thing. I live by the 3 H's, Hate no one, Hurt no one, Help one another get through this life. The whole populous of the world needs to take a gigantic
I agree. I have VERY strong feelings on this issue because of my family history (my dad's family is from Germany), but I don't want to share them in this section of the forum because I don't want it ruining the good thing we have in here.

Also, there is already a thread on this subject in a section of the forum for this stuff that is well visited already. I invite anyone who wants to vent or let their opinion be known to post it there, but let's keep that stuff out of the other sections of the forum.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:50 PM

I myself get mixed in with all this political issues. The main one I was most concerned about was The Bathroom Bill, a bill designated towards keeping women safe in bathrooms which to me is a load of crap. It's a waste of our tax payers money, hatred towards the Transgender community, as well as an economic blow towards Texas.

So I'm happy to see the bill died, thank you Speaker Joe Stratus.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:51 PM

Oops I forgot this wasn't the Political thread.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:50 PM

Space X rocket booster

I know that this is waaayy off topic, but I found it interesting. I read somewhere that if you go to street view and type in 699 Glen Cheek Dr, you can see one of the SpaceX rocket boosters on the P.S. I Love you barge being towed into port. Low an behold you can!
URL="https://goo.gl/maps/7LgWckqtaAE2
Who does not like rocket ships!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I apologize if I made it seem like I'm defending the Neo-Nazis or other hate groups. That was not my intention. I don't see it in what I wrote, but people read things differently. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I hate Nazis. I hate the KKK. I hate what they stand for. I hate that they have co-opted Christianity for their hate.

I was already rubbed raw last night by some stuff on another site, and just happened to pop on here and got triggered. haha

You fellas are alright. We don't always see eye to eye, but I gather that you're all stand up guys.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I apologize if I made it seem like I'm defending the Neo-Nazis or other hate groups. That was not my intention. I don't see it in what I wrote, but people read things differently. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I hate Nazis. I hate the KKK. I hate what they stand for. I hate that they have co-opted Christianity for their hate.

I was already rubbed raw last night by some stuff on another site, and just happened to pop on here and got triggered. haha

You fellas are alright. We don't always see eye to eye, but I gather that you're all stand up guys.
No worries! I was a little emotionally charged this morning about it as well, so I apologize. We're simply in a climate of flash judgements. I'm glad this is a place we call all just use as an outlet to get away from everything with little controversy, except when it comes to 405 Colorado St. haha

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:57 AM

I know that there have been various incarnations of this, but this is the first one that I have seen from three different perspectives.
http://projects.statesman.com/then-a...-then-now.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Excellent post. I like coming here to keep up with one of my hobbies/interests and not have to sort through butt hurt political rants. We can't go more than a few posts of relatively neutral political posts before the discussion takes a turn for the worse. We have the whole Skybar/Current Events section where people can hone their partisan posting skills and spend hours arguing with people who are equally passionate in their opposite viewpoint and equally unlikely to change their minds. Since the Skybar/Current Events section exists (unfortunately IMO), I don't think we need a political thread in the Austin subforum. I would prefer that we just delete the first off topic political post in any thread and nip discord in the bud. I would be happy to start that now. But Kevin and a good part of the the rest of the community need to be on board with it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Take it from the Genral. Here, here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the atx View Post
i would prefer that we just delete the first off topic political post in any thread and nip discord in the bud. I would be happy to start that now. But kevin and a good part of the the rest of the community need to be on board with it.
yes!!!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Take it from the Genral. Here, here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:09 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Spitting image, without the 'stash

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:24 PM

We may not have a good view of the total eclipse on Monday which is the first total eclipse seen in the U.S. in 99 years. But there is another one in just seven years and Austin will be a good place to see it:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:04 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Excellent post. I like coming here to keep up with one of my hobbies/interests and not have to sort through butt hurt political rants. We can't go more than a few posts of relatively neutral political posts before the discussion takes a turn for the worse. We have the whole Skybar/Current Events section where people can hone their partisan posting skills and spend hours arguing with people who are equally passionate in their opposite viewpoint and equally unlikely to change their minds. Since the Skybar/Current Events section exists (unfortunately IMO), I don't think we need a political thread in the Austin subforum. I would prefer that we just delete the first off topic political post in any thread and nip discord in the bud. I would be happy to start that now. But Kevin and a good part of the the rest of the community need to be on board with it.
Works for me. The reason we have the current events section was to have a place on the forum where those posts could be directed to. Before that section was created there were political discussions/arguments happening in every section of the forum. I remember the forum way back when there were only about 4 or 5 different sections. It got to the point to where having more sections meant those posts were becoming more frequent and disruptive.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Works for me. The reason we have the current events section was to have a place on the forum where those posts could be directed to. Before that section was created there were political discussions/arguments happening in every section of the forum. I remember the forum way back when there were only about 4 or 5 different sections. It got to the point to where having more sections meant those posts were becoming more frequent and disruptive.
Awesome. Nobody chimed in with their support for off topic political posts, so deletions will be the norm going forward.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:27 AM
World Traveler

Thanks ATX & Kevin!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:30 AM

Texas unemployment rate improves to 4.3 percent, same as US

Quote:
By AP
August 18th. 2017

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The Texas unemployment rate improved to 4.3 percent in July to mirror the national jobless figure, the Texas Workforce Commission announced Friday.

Texas had its third straight month of declining statewide unemployment.

The Texas economy expanded for the 13th consecutive month with the addition of 19,600 seasonally adjusted nonfarm jobs in July, state labor officials said.

"Texas employers created 293,400 jobs over the past year and the dynamic Texas economy continues to provide competitive advantages to employers across the state," said commission Chairman Andres Alcantar.
http://m.chron.com/news/texas/articl...t-11941748.php

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 11:46 AM
World Traveler

Baby is sleeping and wife is out with some friends, so I grabbed a beer (a Tibetan craft stout, if you're interested...pretty good!) and am watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Smart Cities." They're talking about redensifying cities and renewable energy, among other things (transportation, etc.). Pretty interesting. Check it out if you have time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin