HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:29 PM
Cambridgite

Good Restaurants in Detroit.

Hey guys. I'll be in Detroit with my family this weekend because my brother is going to see a game they got going on with the Vikings. Can anyone from the area recommend a good restaurant to eat dinner at? In or near the downtown core is preferable. Keep in mind, I'm with my family, so we don't want to be heading out into any kind of no man's land. Also, the prices have to be reasonable, so nothing overly fancy. Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:36 PM
Always A Classic

Lafayette Coney Island

For a good breakfast brunch try the Detroit Breakfast House & Grill on Woodward - across from the Hudson's hole.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:08 PM
Honored Member

I suggest anything down Monroe St. in Greektown. Fishbone's is a little bit pricier than your average family diner, but it's not too high. You can also try the Hard Rock Cafe if you want to go a little more touristy. It's in the Campus Martius area. Hockeytown Cafe is over by the Fox Theatre, but if your a Wild fan, you might feel a bit out place. Cheli's Chili Bar is right next to Comerica Park (about a block from Ford Field). And like Cleveland Brown suggested, if you want to try an authentic Detroit Coney you can always check out Lafayette or American Coney Island about halfway between Campus Martius and the new Westin Book-Cadillac.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:24 AM

Smile

May I suggest some good reasonable restaurants with a family atmosphere, in no particular order

Pegasus, in Greektown

Vicentes Cuban Restaurant

Detroit Beer Company

Majestic cafe

Union Street

angelinas Bistro (may be higher on price, never been there)

Foxtown Grill

Andiamos riverfront in the Rencen

good luck and let us know what you pick and how it was.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 1:03 AM
Cambridgite

Okay, thanks guys! I'll be taking photos while I'm there. I'll post them in a couple days.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:38 AM
Cambridgite

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to Vicentes cuban restaurant the first night. It was fantastic! I had some sort of pastry with mushrooms, meat, and other stuff in it. Can't remember the name, but it was delicious. Late that night, I also orded deep dish pizza from a place on Jefferson...the name escapes me. All I know is that I could barely continue after 2 slices because it was so thick!

The next day, I went to the Detroit Breakfast House & Grill on Woodward, which was nice enough, but a pretty standard diner. Later that evening, I went to Lafayette Coney Island. That was pretty greasy I have to admit. I'm a little sick now...and I hope it wasn't because of that place, lol.

Thanks for the help and photos will be going up in the 'my city photos' section very soon, including some INCREDIBLE grit on Michigan Ave...never seen anything like that in my life.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:08 PM

No one mentioned Small Plates? That's a pretty fantastic restaurant.

If it's snowing and it's cold out, being at the bar on the second floor of the Detroit Beer Company in the evening is a great place to sit and drink. They have good food, too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:10 PM

Oh my god, also, Sala Thai. The best thai in North America. And there's one somewhere in Detroit that's next to a soul food place that's also really good.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 3:14 AM

I believe Sala Thai is in the Lafayette Plaza next to the Lafayette Towers. There is also a cottage inn pizza there.

Cheers,

j

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:32 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I went to Vicentes cuban restaurant the first night. It was fantastic! I had some sort of pastry with mushrooms, meat, and other stuff in it. Can't remember the name, but it was delicious. Late that night, I also orded deep dish pizza from a place on Jefferson...the name escapes me. All I know is that I could barely continue after 2 slices because it was so thick!

The next day, I went to the Detroit Breakfast House & Grill on Woodward, which was nice enough, but a pretty standard diner. Later that evening, I went to Lafayette Coney Island. That was pretty greasy I have to admit. I'm a little sick now...and I hope it wasn't because of that place, lol.

Thanks for the help and photos will be going up in the 'my city photos' section very soon, including some INCREDIBLE grit on Michigan Ave...never seen anything like that in my life.
But, you can't live in Detroit too long without trying a coney

If you're a bit more adventurous next time, Traffic Jam, Cass Cafe, and Motor City Brewing Works are all pretty cheap, but alas, they're in Cass Corridor.

Also, Avalon Bakery, but it's a bit higher priced for a bakery.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:32 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
Oh my god, also, Sala Thai. The best thai in North America. And there's one somewhere in Detroit that's next to a soul food place that's also really good.
I know there is a Sala Thai in the old Firehouse in Eastern Market

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
I know there is a Sala Thai in the old Firehouse in Eastern Market
There are two, the good one is in the firehouse in EM, and the other is in a dumpy little strip mall next to the soul food place I spoke of. It was amazing. And so, so unhealthy.

Oh, and the Cottage Inn. But seriously, give me real fried chicken over Cottage Inn any day.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:31 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
But seriously, give me real fried chicken over Cottage Inn any day.
The best fried chicken "chain" is probably in the suburbs - Chicken Shack. Ummm and broasted potatoes

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest