HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Google Street View

Three blocks wide, running south from Slauson... alleys behind the lots, as indicated on Google maps... between Compton Ave and the Metro Blue Line.... I had to go look... and I'm wanting the taller gabled house at right to be the same one in the 1907 picture. The just-planted palms in that picture could be the soaring trees that line Miramonte today (the rows are much more intact behind the Google camera). This is Miramonte Blvd looking north from East 66th St.

I love the perennial hype of real estate ads... could you really see mountains from all the way down on 66th Street? And could you really get to downtown L.A. in 12 minutes?
Back in my college days, I had a classmate/friend who lived in this area, we met in one of my math classes. He would always refer to it as Huntington Park, but actually it's Florence, an unincorporated LA County community. He lived a street east of Miramonte, a street called Converse, in fact he lived north of the intersection of Converse and Florence. I had known him for a whole semester, and then one day he asked me for a ride to his house, he seemed embarrassed about where he lived; of course I gave him a ride home. I mean yeah, it's a working-class area, but I thought it was nothing to be ashamed about. Hehe in fact I thought the guy had NOTHING to be ashamed about---I had a big crush on him at the time.

But yes, 12 minutes to downtown can be done from this neighborhood, even today. It's very convenient to downtown. And on clear days, you really can see the mountains.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkykat View Post
I agree that there is no need to post the pics of poor Beth Short post mort.

However, one could still dive into the mystery of where did she go after walking away from the Biltmore. Moreover, where would the murder have taken place?

Donald Wolfe's books holds that this took place in a bungalow apt. at 836 Catalina, not far from the Ambassador Hotel.

I'm gonna head that way this coming Sunday and take some snaps.

Good luck with your venture to 836 Catalina minkykat. Sounds interesting.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:05 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;5553892]
below: If you look down the block there is yet another Dance Studio (I can't quite make out the name).
I was surprised to see one of those huge Examiner signs in the far distance. I didn't realize that there were any in this area.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4778467

That was the Maurice Kosloff Dance Studio and School of everything else at Wilshire and Robertson.

Gaylord_Wilshire posted about Maurice awhile back.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3054

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:07 AM

Good find Jon Paul via Gaylord_Wilshire.

______

'Noirish' discovery under the Hollywood Sign last night, January 17, 2012.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ead-found.html

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:17 AM

Just heard on the news that two hikers found a bag containing the severed head of a man below the Hollywood Sign. Modern day Norish Los Angeles!

Personal photo

and I see you were posting the same time as me e_r!

~Jon Paul

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:38 AM

We were in Westwood this last weekend and I was studying this block of Westwood Blvd. area to see if I could find any remnants of the fantastic streamline modern design in these incredible photos. No such luck

Morgan Green Clothiers at 1045 Westwood Blvd. 1938

Ladies shops in the 1000 block 1938

Different angle of the ladies shops

all photos Dick Whittington Studios LAPL

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Hi,

I was very happy to find this site by googling. I am a new member now and love this thread, which is an amazing 301 pages! I am from LA, I guess you could tell that from my name here

I have searched many pages of this thread, but it is so slow, since there are so many wonderful pictures all of you have shared. Seeing how my city has changed is so amazing. It is wonderful to see some of those Miracle Mile pictures, since that is where I grew up in the 50's and 60's

I hope it's Ok to ask for some help in a search for a photo I am after...

I am looking for an early aerial photograph of the area around 37th Place and Hill Street. An artist friend has his studio he built there and I would love to show him what the area looked like before.
Here is the area

TIA... Steven
Hi Steven,

Try http://www.historicaerials.com/
When the map loads up, type in your search criteria
For example: in this case type in hill street, 37th place, los angeles
You can move the map around or widen the area with the slider at the bottom.
If you turn on the street overlays, its easier to find the location you want.

Here are a couple of maps: (one older, one more recent)

historicaerials.com/

historicaerials.com/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:00 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:58 PM

I still can't get over how awful the original entrance/nightclub area was (the top half of the photo above). What happened I wonder...did they decide at the last minute to tack it on? If it was still the same architect (like they say), why didn't he design something complimentary to the rest of the hotel? Sorry to go on and go.

I always thought the 1950s addition destroyed the look of the hotel...but from looking at these earlier photos I'd have to say it was never an architectural masterpiece. One would have to say it's fame came from the events that occurred there.....the Academy Award Ceremonies at it's extremely popular Coconut Grove Nightclub, and much later the assassination of RFK.

below: An aerial of the Ambassador Hotel from 1987 that I don't recall seeing before.

Javier Mendoza

Are those gas tanks/meters on the distant horizon? Could this have been the area where they found Elizabeth Short's body? (I need to check my 1947 map...I could be way off the mark). Note: In one of the photographs of the murder scene there is a gas tank in view.
(of course now that I mentioned it I can't find that particular photo)

I just noticed the stand alone tall building building visible in the upper right. Does anyone know what this building is? It looks fairly ornate.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:33 PM

I never noticed this before....this postcard view of the front entrance is actually a side entrance (see the photo above)

ebay

I must say that I like the tasteful clock above the doorway (actually, the whole ufo inspired entrance canopy is pretty awesome)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:03 PM

FredH, that is so cool!!!

Being able to go to the site and slide the newer image over the top of the old one is just amazing. The only drag is, that the image quality of the '48 picture is so bad compared to almost all the images of places shared here on the site :/ I have written the company to ask if the quality is any better when purchased. But I thank you so much for sharing this place with me!

You know, I have gone through many pages searching for that particular image of the place I want, but it is so hard to go through the pages, since I am always stopping and looking at the cool images posted here! I drove from where I live, around LACMA, to Glassel Park and took surface streets. I really looked at the city differently seeing many buildings that I wondered... what was this place when it was built? So thanks to all the people posting pictures here and for the helpful advice I have been given so far.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Are those gas tanks/meters on the distant horizon? Could this have been the area where they found Elizabeth Short's body? (I need to check my 1947 map...I could be way off the mark). Note: In one of the photographs of the murder scene there is a gas tank in view.
(of course now that I mentioned it I can't find that particular photo)
Here is that photo from a previous post etheral_reality:

You may be on to something there. On this map you can see the distance between the site where the corpse was found (bottom of map) and the Ambassador (top red square). That gasometer was probably one of the ones on the horizon.

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

historicaerials.com/
Hi again FredH,

Here is the answer I just received
"Hello Steven,

If you're not satisfied with the image in the preview than it's not likely to meet your requirements. If you zoomed-in and the image is blurry you have gone beyond the pixel resolution. We provide a digital image only and the fee ranges between $5 to $20. If you click the purchase button it will bring up a thumbnail with the price of the download.

Best Regards"

I hope I can find a better quality image of that area...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:07 PM

The incestuous world of Los Angeles cafeterias...

I only used the word "incestuous" above to be noirishly provocative. This isn't really noirish at all, but I was surprised to learn that the mother of the Boos brothers was a Schaber, of the Schaber's chain of cafeterias.... Per the LAPL, "When Horace Boos died in 1926, the surviving brothers sold the seven cafeterias for a record $7 million to the Childs Corp. In turn, Childs sold two of the cafeterias to Clifford E. Clinton, who launched the Clifton's chain. Eventually, Henry Boos bought back two, one on Hill Street and the other in Avalon on Catalina Island." The Boos location at 648 S. Broadway became Clifton's Brookdale (the '60s facade of which, as we've seen, is now being removed: see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4945 and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4946).

LAPL
326 S Broadway, labeled 1930s...not sure how this fits into the Boos timeline. ...Anyway, there's a McDonald's on the
spot today.

LAPL
620 S Broadway, then...

and now...
Google Street View

The Boos Catalina branch...
LAPL

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 8:10 PM

A domestic history of the Boos brothers...

The cafeteria business was definitely lucrative...all four Boos brothers moved on up in style and lived in some mighty fine houses, the best of which still stand.

Google Books
Henry's house at 1651 Wellington Road in Lafayette Square, ca. 1920...

...and now:
Google Street View
The house sits on an impressive and unusual-for-the-street double lot.

Google Books
Horace's house at 535 S. Plymouth, ca. 1922...

...and now, with a southside addition in place of the porte-cochere:

Grand, grander, grandest: In the early '20s, Henry moved from Lafayette Square to 454 S. Windsor...
Google Street View

...and by 1927, he had scored the Petitfils house at 545 S. Plymouth next door to Horace. It's L.A. Historic-Cultural
Monument #835, but still, I couldn't readily find a "then" picture....
Google Street View

Cyrus eventually joined his brothers in Windsor Square at 555 S. Irving:
Google Street View

Orlando remained more or less aloof from his bros, at least residentially speaking. Before moving to Manhattan Place east
of Windsor Square, he was around a couple of corners from Henry's Lafayette Park house, at 1739 Buckingham Road:
Google Street View

Btw, right next door to Orlando, at 1727 Buckingham, is the house that some insist was the Cleaver's second Mayfield
house...see this prior post:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1799

Google Street View

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:17 PM

Wow, what beautiful homes! I'm so glad they have survived.

The ornate Schaber's Cafeteria building at 620 S. Broadway is pretty special as well.
I especially love the intricate grill work in the three arched windows. Notice in the older photo this grill work traveled down
each side of the windows..today it only appears at the top of ea. window.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post

You may be on to something there. On this map you can see the distance between the site where the corpse was found (bottom of map) and the Ambassador (top red square). That gasometer was probably one of the ones on the horizon.

~Jon Paul
Yes, that's the gasometer photograph I had in mind Jon Paul.

I just noticed a gasometer in this photograph as well (far right..barely visible).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3345511...4579/lightbox/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:05 AM

I don't think this photo has been posted before as I would have remembered the somewhat seedy Temp-Hill Hotel.
(I also used the search ap at the top of the thread).

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4780973

below: This is a better view of the open-air corner store that shares the building with the Temp-Hill Hotel.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4780972

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
Just heard on the news that two hikers found a bag containing the severed head of a man below the Hollywood Sign. Modern day Norish Los Angeles!

Personal photo

and I see you were posting the same time as me e_r!

~Jon Paul

And now they have found a severed hand as well a little ways away from the head

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...137579028.html

"Investigators found a second human hand Wednesday when they returned with search dogs to a popular hiking trail a day after two dogwalkers discovered a severed head in a bag at the location below the Hollywood sign."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Maybe Eatons purchased their chickens from the Studio Poultry Ranch.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4780680

Has anyone heard of this place before? (LAPL didn't include an address)

____

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos