HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

1898-Harper Home and Groves, Hollywood, CA by ozfan22, on Flickr
Description from Flickr:
Panoramic view of the Charles Harper Victorian home and property, standing at the entrance to Laurel Canyon in Hollywood. A man, perhaps Charles Harper, stands in the foreground in 1898. Harper, a merchant, had a hardware store on Spring near Temple Streets.
Google Earth ain't perfect but it helps in telling the story. It's a cool tool.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:18 PM

Car Lust
Google SV

At 4077 West Pico Blvd, just down the street from the Forum Theater...

According to the Car Lust blog, "Honda first set up shop in the U.S. on June 11, 1959, with an unassuming little storefront in Los Angeles named the American Honda Motor Co. Inc."...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:20 PM

Hi,
I'm Barbara Payton's biographer and I was happy to see her being discussed here. Barbara's life story is currently being developed for a feature-length documentary titled "Bad Blonde", and I hope that those who find the film noir aspects of her life interesting will support the project once it comes to fruition. I am also currently working on a photo book titled “Barbara Payton: A Life in Pictures”, which will contain over 600 rare and previously unpublished images of Barbara from her life and career, as well as associated text from Barbara's best friend and sister-in-law, Jan Redfield, and myself. Thanks very much for allowing me to contribute to this forum. The photos here are absolutely dynamite!
Thanks again,
John O'Dowd

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Dowd View Post
Hi,
I'm Barbara Payton's biographer and I was happy to see her being discussed here. Barbara's life story is currently being developed for a feature-length documentary titled "Bad Blonde", and I hope that those who find the film noir aspects of her life interesting will support the project once it comes to fruition. I am also currently working on a photo book titled “Barbara Payton: A Life in Pictures”, which will contain over 600 rare and previously unpublished images of Barbara from her life and career, as well as associated text from Barbara's best friend and sister-in-law, Jan Redfield, and myself. Thanks very much for allowing me to contribute to this forum. The photos here are absolutely dynamite!
Thanks again,
John O'Dowd
Yes!!!!!
It doesn't get any cooler than this....
Thank you! Please keep us updated on the project.

http://www.hollywoodstarletbarbarapa.../whatsnew.html

http://lisaburks.typepad.com/home/20...ography_c.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:47 PM

re: Barbara Payton

Thanks very much! Here's a link to a new article on Barbara's documentary. I am very eager to get to work on it and to really get into her unbelievably interesting (and HARROWING) life. Thank you again.

http://www.highlighthollywood.com/20...ood-exclusive/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:04 PM

Daily Bungalow

I recently came across a photostream including a portfolio of one of the many American
house-plan companies of the prewar era. E.W. Stillwell & Co. was based in downtown Los
Angeles. As I looked through some of its houses on the photostream, one in particular
caught my eye... something about its roof vents:

Daily Bungalow

There may have been other houses built in L.A. using the same plan, but it looks to me like
the plan-book photo just above is of the familar Colonial I'd posted here before and had
managed to connect with '20s star Colleen Moore....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I love...Los Angeles variations on American Colonial houses, often found in the Wilshire District.... Here's one at 1231 S. Gramercy, lived in by Colleen Moore in 1923 (per the LACD):

image-archeology.com

"Near Los Angeles"? It's practically dead center! At least now it is.... Anyway, it too still stands:

Google Street View
The odd roof vents appear to be echoed in a structure (a garage?) to the rear. (Where's the
plaque?)

I'm sure that many if not all built examples of Stillwell's plans were in Los Angeles...I'm going to be on the lookout for the others

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 9:09 PM

There may have been other houses built in L.A. using the same plan, but it looks to me like
the plan-book photo just above is of the familar Colonial I'd posted here before and had

I'm sure that many if not all built examples of Stillwell's plans were in Los Angeles...I'm going to be on the lookout for the others[/QUOTE]

Last edited by rbpjr; Mar 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add message

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 9:14 PM

Daily Bungalow

I'm sure that many if not all built examples of Stillwell's plans were in Los Angeles...I'm going to be on the lookout for the others[/QUOTE]

As a small child, around 1938-39, I remember going to downtown Los Angeles, possibly the May Company to see Colleen Moore's famous doll-house. I was absoloutely mesmerized...it had working electric lights, running water in a fountain...and so much more...I think I read much later that it ended up in Chicago at a museum...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:33 PM

Welcome to the thread John O'Dowd! Good luck with your documentary of Barbara Payton...it all sounds very interesting.
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a feature film in the same vein as 1982's Frances.

below: Franchot Tone and Barbara Payton arriving at LAX on Oct. 29, 1951. And no, that isn't Edith Head on the steps.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1333230985676

above: I noticed the Mercury New York sign....did airlines name their planes back then?

_____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:46 PM

I have a question for you Mr. O'Dowd. Do you know the address of the house in the following photograph?

Franchot Tone leaving Barbara Payton's home in 1951.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Dowd View Post
Hi,
Thanks again,
John O'Dowd
WOW times a thousand!!! I have been extremely busy with a design project over the last few weeks and unable to visit the thread very much. Imagine my delight, when I took time to visit today, to find all of these great posts about Barbara Payton.

From the time of my first post about her a few months ago, I have become obsessed with getting to know more about her and her ultimately tragic short life.

I am especially thrilled that you have joined the thread Mr. O'Dowd, as I just recently finished your beautifully warm biography of Barbara "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye: The Barbara Payton Story". What a great read! Thank you.

Online, I was also able to find the interview that you conducted with her son John Lee. His loving and understanding words regarding his mother were very touching in that they were so obviously heartfelt.

I have bought, rented, downloaded, etc. copies of every Barbara movie that I can find and can say that she was definitely a presence on film. So striking and statuesque.

A few weeks ago I drove out to Cypress View to pay my respects and leave flowers at Barbara's internment site. It was pleasing to see that someone else had left flowers for her as well. Feeling that it was somehow appropriate, I drove our '51 Cadillac convertible out there.

Thank you to everyone who has posted about Barbara lately and I certainly look forward to the film and new book Mr. O'Dowd!

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:51 AM

'Honeymoon in Hollywood' pan right---->

photo album/ebay

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:20 AM

I like the street activity in this postcard of the Angelus Temple.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zilf/53...57594063877166

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I have a question for you Mr. O'Dowd. Do you know the address of the house in the following photograph?

Franchot Tone leaving Barbara Payton's home in 1951.

Hi ethereal reality,
The building to the left of Franchot Tone is Barbara Payton's apartment at the time of the brawl, which is located at 1803 N. Courtney Terrace in Los Angeles. Barbara lived there from 1951 to sometime in 1954, when she moved to a rented, 15-room house (with a swimming pool) that is at 1534 North Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills (near the Beverly Hills Hotel).

These are great images and are among the dozens of old wire photos that I am interested in licensing for Barbara's photo book. I have a definite vision for the book and it is to depict the LA NOIR world (underworld?) that Barbara existed in back then. I have been working on the book for a couple of years now and I keep finding photos that I want to include in it. I thought I had dug pretty deep for the ones I have found thus far, but now I want to keep digging as I think there are probably many more rare pics to be found.

All the best,
John O'Dowd

Last edited by John O'Dowd; Apr 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM. Reason: I wish to add my name

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
WOW times a thousand!!! I have been extremely busy with a design project over the last few weeks and unable to visit the thread very much. Imagine my delight, when I took time to visit today, to find all of these great posts about Barbara Payton.

From the time of my first post about her a few months ago, I have become obsessed with getting to know more about her and her ultimately tragic short life.

I am especially thrilled that you have joined the thread Mr. O'Dowd, as I just recently finished your beautifully warm biography of Barbara "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye: The Barbara Payton Story". What a great read! Thank you.

Online, I was also able to find the interview that you conducted with her son John Lee. His loving and understanding words regarding his mother were very touching in that they were so obviously heartfelt.

I have bought, rented, downloaded, etc. copies of every Barbara movie that I can find and can say that she was definitely a presence on film. So striking and statuesque.

A few weeks ago I drove out to Cypress View to pay my respects and leave flowers at Barbara's internment site. It was pleasing to see that someone else had left flowers for her as well. Feeling that it was somehow appropriate, I drove our '51 Cadillac convertible out there.

Thank you to everyone who has posted about Barbara lately and I certainly look forward to the film and new book Mr. O'Dowd!

~Jon Paul
Hi Jon Paul,
Thank you very much for your great note about Barbara, and I think it is terrific that you recently paid your respects to her at her place of rest. Barbara went through a lot of bad stuff in Hollywood -- and yes, much of it was her own doing -- but I think it would really thrill her to know that there are people who enjoyed her work (and her beauty), and that she hasn't been forgotten.

Your '51 Cadillac convertible sounds like a real beaut! I would love to find a photo of the red Cadillac convertible that Barbara drove back then, but I'm not sure if such a photo even exists.

I'm very glad and grateful to hear that you liked Barbara's book. I worked on it for several years and it was important to me that I tried to be as respectful of her as I could, while also telling her story truthfully. It wasn't an easy task, but I can honestly say that I know I did the best job I could for Barbara.

Her son John Lee Payton is a wonderful person and he still loves his mother deeply. Barbara was tough and wild, but she was also an incredibly loving person. I'm glad I had an opportunity to reveal that about her, and it is all thanks to John Payton and Jan Redfield, who, as you know, was Barbara's sister-in-law.

Thank you again for welcoming me here, Jon Paul. I see that the process for posting photos here is somewhat involved, but I will try to master it and post a few rare pics I have of Barbara, soon.

Best wishes,
John

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:07 PM

Airport Journals

Quote:

above: I noticed the Mercury New York sign....did airlines name their planes back then?
_____
Yes--it was common for the airlines to name individual aircraft back in the prop era--and many still do (Jetblue names each plane something with "blue" in it). Notice "Flagship Tennessee" at Grand Central airport circa 1936. American's planes were "Flagships," United's were "Mainliners," Pan Am had its "Clippers." But "Mercury" was the name of a particular service, following the practice of the railroads--i.e., the 20th Century between NY & Chicago and the Super Chief between Chicago and L.A. American's Mercury was its transcon service between LA & NY, and it started with its DC3s (seen at top) introduced in 1936. The plane in the b&w shot above is a DC6. Later the Mercury name was used for other routes as well, and into the 707 era.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:21 PM

The Night Train

A friend recently sent a link to this vintage 1946 Columbia reel. I thought it was really neat and then thought the gang here might enjoy it. http://archive.org/details/PET0981_R-5
It is a film taken from a Southern Pacific train while moving out of the LA area at night. Hope you like it
JoeW

Last edited by JoeW; Apr 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 4:17 PM

that looks like a sante fe line but i want to say thats a pe line sooooo badly.the station around 7:50 looks like a pe station...great footage though

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:28 PM
You can call me David

1887 Aerial Balloon Map Decoded

This morning I re-discovered this old 1887 aerial balloon may and spent a few hours trying to decode the main downtown streets. Here's what I came up with -- please correct me anyone, if you notice any errors or important omissions. (I oriented it vertically for publication here, to save viewers from massive amounts of scrolling.)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the thread John O'Dowd! Good luck with your documentary of Barbara Payton...it all sounds very interesting.
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a feature film in the same vein as 1982's Frances.

below: Franchot Tone and Barbara Payton arriving at LAX on Oct. 29, 1951. And no, that isn't Edith Head on the steps.

_____

American Airlines offered Mercury Service on its most premier flights. It was an early version of domestic first class. I think later on they referred to tourist or coach as Royal Coachman Service.

Regarding Franchot Tone and his toney background. I briefly attended boarding school with Jeff Tone, who was Franchot Tone's son by the woman he left for Payton. I remember once when Franchot Tone visited the school and was an honored lunch guest who was introduced to all the impressionable boys at the school by the headmaster. There was no mention that Mr. Tone had this drawn out and ugly affair with the trollop Barbara Payton. We were left with the impression that Franchot Tone was an aristocratic and wealthy movie star of impeccable background. His son, Jeff, was golden and beautiful. He seemed to have such a glamorous life with homes and parents in NYC and Beverly Hills. Who knew about his agrieved mother and all the scandal!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos