HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

He got chased out of Toronto for a reason.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:27 PM

Stinson Mansion at 109 Ontario is sold as of today for $765,000. A big drop from the initial asking of almost $900,000.

One more step towards completion of the Gibson and Beasely Lofts I suppose.

Stinson gets some well deserved criticism, but I really do hope to see all his projects succeed. He does a good job at incorporating the character of these heritage properties into his units, and even if some of the final finishes such as flooring and cabinets are nothing special he at least deserves commendation for preserving these heritage buildings. The kitchens can and will always be replaced eventually, it's the brickwork and such that will last. We have too few developers dedicated to adaptive re-use to chase any of them out of town.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
Stinson Mansion at 109 Ontario is sold as of today for $765,000. A big drop from the initial asking of almost $900,000.

Stinson gets some well deserved criticism, but I really do hope to see all his projects succeed. He does a good job at incorporating the character of these heritage properties into his units, and even if some of the final finishes such as flooring and cabinets are nothing special he at least deserves commendation for preserving these heritage buildings. The kitchens can and will always be replaced eventually, it's the brickwork and such that will last. We have too few developers dedicated to adaptive re-use to chase any of them out of town.
Wow, I know he got offered more than that some time ago and turned it down. Guess he is realizing the market isn't quite there yet. Plus the layout is beyond terrible. It's essentially a 2 bedroom with an attic.

I know his main sales agent Daniel, I actually think he is very good, he pushes back to Harry to help him see the actual market.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post

That is actually much more than I thought it was going to do. It is such an odd layout inside, that won't work for families.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:56 PM

Is it worth looking at the Beasley Condo's for a first time buyer to rent out for a year? I'm in no rush to move out of where I am now, but obviously the sooner i can rent it out the better. But setbacks won't kill me.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
Is it worth looking at the Beasley Condo's for a first time buyer to rent out for a year? I'm in no rush to move out of where I am now, but obviously the sooner i can rent it out the better. But setbacks won't kill me.
Definitely avoid it, 100%. I don't see it being complete for another 5+ years. There are too many problems with Stinson Properties' last development for me to ever recommend one of their developments.

There are better options for a first time buyer that are already under construction, or starting construction this year. I'd recommend checking out these developments, in this order:

1) Residences of the Royal Connaught | 36/24/21/14 Floors | Under Construction

2) Vista Condos | 6/6/5 Floors | Site Preparation

3) 20/22 George Street | 33 Floors | Under Construction

Edit:

I'm going to add this too:

4) Television City Condos | ? Floors | Proposed

^ First images of that development are being revealed on May 1. You can't go wrong with that developer.

Last edited by thomax; Apr 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:23 PM

Aren't the George and Queen Street developments rentals and not condos?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Aren't the George and Queen Street developments rentals and not condos?
Queen is, yeah I forgot they switched to rentals at the last minute. I removed that from my post. 20/22 George is condos though.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Queen is, yeah I forgot they switched to rentals at the last minute. I removed that from my post. 20/22 George is condos though.
Interesting that George is condos when Vranich originally billed Regency and 150 main as condos and apparently turned them all to rentals.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:47 PM

I don't see a thread for Cannon Knitting Mills. Here's a pic of the entrance.[IMG]IMG_0143 by Glenn S, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:15 PM
Hammer'd

KEEP OUT
NO ENTRY

Oh Harry.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:45 PM

Any movement on this project?

Other projects seem to get a lot of news and move forward is this still just standing still?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:10 PM

Harry Stinson is a joke.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:29 PM
Hammer'd

The school that he bought years before this at Barton and Gibson is still sitting in exactly the same condition as it has been since he bought this thing so... there you go.

Pretty sure I already said it back when he bought this place a few years ago but I'm sure we'll be seeing a for sale sign back up on this place within the next 5 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 8:05 PM

I drove by on Monday and observed a crew apparently sandblasting the exterior

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:41 PM

This ended up in my Email today...
so apparently the best project he could do, is a hotel in Buffalo??

http://stinsonproperties.com/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:26 PM

Update from Harry Stinson;

Quote:
Hopefully everyone had a pleasant - if chilly - holiday. It certainly was colder and quieter than normal in downtown Hamilton, and we were able to spend reviewing design options for Beasley Park Lofts.

Just to recap the background as outlined in the previous email;

Despite no formal marketing, signage or pro-active sales program, all of the suites in the initial Beasley Park Lofts design quickly sold. We added a few additional floors, within the the existing 6-storey height limit, and they also sold out. Meanwhile we have been clearing out and analyzing the existing structure, as well as testing the underground environmental and soil conditions. And just when we thought we had a clear overview, the City released its new Downtown Draft Plan (new zoning, height and design guidelines).

Here is the context (including the 'positives', and the realities) in which we are reviewing the options;

1. It's pretty evident that this project is going to be a popular and premier address. People really like the location, the unique character of the building and the mixed-use 'hospitality' features of the project.

2. Despite the undeniable appeal of the brick and beam construction, nearly 2 centuries of hard use, certain of the industrial and textile activities within and a decade of unmaintained vacancy have taken a serious toll on the old structure, the roof above and the land beneath. Construction will not be simple, quick nor an inexpensive cosmetic makeover.

3. The new Draft Plan indicates a maximum height of 30 storeys for the site.

4. However, this does not mean a developer can - or should - automatically construct a 30 storey tower. There are many design-related conditions and practical limitations, and the Draft Plan is still subject to City Council review, and potential appeal.

5. The Hamilton condo market is certainly evolving and pre-construction prices are rising past $500/sq.ft.

6. It remains to be seen whether the abundance of new projects will be absorbed by the local market.

7. City Planning will not provide decisions - or even comments - on a project until a specific architectural design has been submitted, a process which collectively takes several months.

Having said all that, here is the direction we are heading.

First, we are not planning to build a 30 storey tower.

Yes, we do expect to expand the scale and are working on a 'terraced' design that slopes upwards from the park and from the primary border streets.

A particularly interesting new feature will be a 2-storey, east-west glass galleria providing visibility and access from Mary St. through to the park, separating and better defining the original historic structures and breaking up the long western wall.

The northwest Mary St facade towards Cannon will feature 'loft-style' commercial units, which we will retain and lease specifically to food-related tenants (instead of parking, which will be below grade and expanded).

While there will be some very interesting, premium suites on uppermost floors and in prime positions, generally speaking the sizes and prices of the suites will remain comparatively mid-range, affordable and carefully planned to be livable.

Our objective remains to retain, use and highlight as much as possible of the existing structure and materials, and for any additional construction to be of a complimentary 'industrial' flavour.

The next step is to prepare scaled concept drawings and elevations, for discussions with the City, and to analyze the constructibility, a process which will likely take at least 90 to 120 days. Concurrently, we will also share some of these images and designs with you for feedback (within 30 to 60 days).

Harry
regretting my real estate decisions now...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:42 PM

I want to believe.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:29 PM
Hammer'd

I still don't believe.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:55 PM

Believe dat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton