HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
generally most talked about successes DO come from everyone thinking they would fail..

when I ate at bistro parisienne my bill generally racked up to 50 dollars when I was done.. that is NOT reasonable.

The mexican place it was replaced with.. reasonable prices... although I will agree with you though that the drink prices at the mexican place are a bit steep.. but I don't buy drinks there.. where you compare 23 bucks at parisienne for .. sweetbreads? Really? Generally I still did enjoy eating at parisienne.. although I reserved it only for special occasions..

With kelseys, you tend to get a crapton of food for what you order, thus I am willing to spend a bit more.. I compare amt of food to price of food - if the amt of food does not = the price I pay for it (like on king william) then it is not a good ratio of price to food for me.

and the whole marketing the whole "garlic aioli" thing as some sudden new innovative thing is just funny to me.. all aioli is is garlic and olive oil, yet they market it as something "upscale" - to me that is hipstery. My hipster factor generally goes with how pretentious I feel a place is trying to be. That's just my personal take on it though, as is my entire opinion on the matter.

Anyways I think we have gotten a bit off topic here. Personally, for this building, I feel like they could have done better, but that's just my personal opinion.
The sausage that you are claiming is being marketed as "upscale" is literally served in a paper sausage tray. https://www.instagram.com/p/BTz2Iq1FCYu/

EDIT: Just for comparison, the Kelsey's menu I previously posted features a "made in-house sun-dried tomato aioli" on two menu items. You're right that aioli is a simple garlic and oil sauce. MERIT Brewing seems to be using a traditional aioli, while Kelsey's seems to be using a weird adaptation of aioli - which one would you call pretentious?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
The sausage that you are claiming is being marketed as "upscale" is literally served in a paper sausage tray. https://www.instagram.com/p/BTz2Iq1FCYu/

EDIT: Just for comparison, the Kelsey's menu I previously posted features a "made in-house sun-dried tomato aioli" on two menu items. You're right that aioli is a simple garlic and oil sauce. MERIT Brewing seems to be using a traditional aioli, while Kelsey's seems to be using a weird adaptation of aioli - which one would you call pretentious?

Kelseys is disgusting. Pretty sure virtually nothing is actually made there. I suspect Merit will be using good producers and real food product. Love all the great meal options popping up downtown. Chain places microwaving everything never get my hard earned $ when I want a meal.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Kelseys is disgusting. Pretty sure virtually nothing is actually made there. I suspect Merit will be using good producers and real food product. Love all the great meal options popping up downtown. Chain places microwaving everything never get my hard earned $ when I want a meal.
as long as the price is right for the amt of food I don't mind a bit of pretentiousness hehe..

and it is good to see more restaurants popping up.. but I would also like to see more entertainment popping up.. aside from clubs bars and restaurants there isn't too much to DO downtown.. compared to hamiltons golden age.

I'd love to see some sort of entertainment complex go in downtown, I know they were talking about putting one in the Eatons center.. dunno whatever happened about that.. heck hamilton used to even have its own amusement park at one point in history! It had horse races, entertainment theatres.. strip clubs.. etc..

(and yes I know there is still a movie theatre in jackson square.. but for someone with long legs like me, that old style of seating in there is just.. awkward and uncomfortable..)

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post

oh don't get me wrong they're both pretentious lol.. however when I walk into kelseys I love the atmosphere inside - most kelseys are beautiful inside - the inside of merit brewing greets you with a concrete wall. Imo if you are going to be pretentious about something, match it with some good atmosphere.

Sorry if that comes off as a bit snobby, but I am a traditionalist, with an extensive knowledge of the rich cultural and architectural background of hamilton. The restaurant in the lister block may have been retardedly overpriced, but at least the inside looked upscale.

It just seems odd.. you know? You got all these nice beautiful expensive places around, and then you have.. this place. It just feels like they are trying to market regular food in an upscale way, when it doesn't look upscale, or feel upscale.

I am sure I am making WAY more of a big deal of this than I should, at this point I am just overdwelling on it - so I shall say to them - good luck merit brewing, and whatever happens happens.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
as long as the price is right for the amt of food I don't mind a bit of pretentiousness hehe..

and it is good to see more restaurants popping up.. but I would also like to see more entertainment popping up.. aside from clubs bars and restaurants there isn't too much to DO downtown.. compared to hamiltons golden age.

I'd love to see some sort of entertainment complex go in downtown, I know they were talking about putting one in the Eatons center.. dunno whatever happened about that.. heck hamilton used to even have its own amusement park at one point in history! It had horse races, entertainment theatres.. strip clubs.. etc..

(and yes I know there is still a movie theatre in jackson square.. but for someone with long legs like me, that old style of seating in there is just.. awkward and uncomfortable..)
Yea, more entertainment would be awesome. The reno to the movie theatres was very nice. More music, bowling, pool halls etc..... Bring it on. Ping Pong lounge is always busy.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Yea, more entertainment would be awesome. The reno to the movie theatres was very nice. More music, bowling, pool halls etc..... Bring it on. Ping Pong lounge is always busy.
ok I have been hearing about this a lot - where IS the ping pong lounge? (Not that I am a huge fan of ping-pong, but I am curious hehe)

Downtown bowling would be nice- splitsville is one of the only ones around, esp. with the one in stoney creek closing down..

A downtown playdium would be neat too..

I'd just love something to do after work that's downtown.. I often think to myself.. what is there to do in toronto that we could incorporate into hamilton's busy night life? I think one thing would be to make things open LATER.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:00 PM

I'm just sad now, remembering Bistro Parisien... I loved that place. Boo's Bistro, too.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:17 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I'm just sad now, remembering Bistro Parisien... I loved that place. Boo's Bistro, too.
It DID have good food - I will grant it that. I was shocked when it closed.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Dude, you must be a fricking GIANT!

ICYMI: http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...ilton-theatre/

Try it, you'll like it!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:54 PM

We attended the opening of Merit and would definitely recommend the place. Simple menu, affordable, very tasty.

Granted, the building both inside and out is pretty much done in the high Austere style but that matches their simple concept and branding. Seeing it built, I was skeptical too, so I had to check it out.

This is probably not a place to linger all night long if you're after a finely decorated room, but it seems like a good spot to drop in to while in the area, for a quick sausage and a beer.

Both the sausages and beer are very well carried off, the sausages pre-dressed for you but I think that is the point. The blend of tastes was spot on in our selections.

Hipsters were well represented yet we weren't the only older folks there, it also looked like the after-work crowd was well represented, and that's what this place is really best for I think. Pop in, have a bite and sip, then continue on your way up the street, home, or to wherever.

From our brief visit there I am left with the impression that they are going for simple but with great attention paid to the details.

I believe both the sausages and the beer are made in-house, and it may be the owners themselves making those, or at least developing the recipes.

Perhaps it's appropriate that like the restaurant it replaced, Mex-I-Can, it's best not to judge the book by its cover.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:05 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
Dude, you must be a fricking GIANT!

ICYMI: http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...ilton-theatre/

Try it, you'll like it!
I AM a friggen giant LOL

and I HAVE tried it - my statement was made AFTER sitting in the renovated seats. The stadium seating of silvercity has more leg room for someone like me - the seats of the downtown theatre are too close to each other and thus I have to sit spread eagle practically.. which isn't.. practical.. haha..

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
We attended the opening of Merit and would definitely recommend the place. Simple menu, affordable, very tasty.

Granted, the building both inside and out is pretty much done in the high Austere style but that matches their simple concept and branding. Seeing it built, I was skeptical too, so I had to check it out.

This is probably not a place to linger all night long if you're after a finely decorated room, but it seems like a good spot to drop in to while in the area, for a quick sausage and a beer.

Both the sausages and beer are very well carried off, the sausages pre-dressed for you but I think that is the point. The blend of tastes was spot on in our selections.

Hipsters were well represented yet we weren't the only older folks there, it also looked like the after-work crowd was well represented, and that's what this place is really best for I think. Pop in, have a bite and sip, then continue on your way up the street, home, or to wherever.

From our brief visit there I am left with the impression that they are going for simple but with great attention paid to the details.

I believe both the sausages and the beer are made in-house, and it may be the owners themselves making those, or at least developing the recipes.

Perhaps it's appropriate that like the restaurant it replaced, Mex-I-Can, it's best not to judge the book by its cover.
dunno if I will eat here myself as I don't drink or like beer.. but since my partner loves beer, being german, I am sure I will probably get dragged here at some point hahaha..

still as you say, don't judge a book by it's cover - I will reserve final judgment after I go there and eat there.. buuut.. no beer for me hehe..

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
generally most talked about successes DO come from everyone thinking they would fail..

when I ate at bistro parisienne my bill generally racked up to 50 dollars when I was done.. that is NOT reasonable.

The mexican place it was replaced with.. reasonable prices... although I will agree with you though that the drink prices at the mexican place are a bit steep.. but I don't buy drinks there.. where you compare 23 bucks at parisienne for .. sweetbreads? Really? Generally I still did enjoy eating at parisienne.. although I reserved it only for special occasions..

With kelseys, you tend to get a crapton of food for what you order, thus I am willing to spend a bit more.. I compare amt of food to price of food - if the amt of food does not = the price I pay for it (like on king william) then it is not a good ratio of price to food for me.

and the whole marketing the whole "garlic aioli" thing as some sudden new innovative thing is just funny to me.. all aioli is is garlic and olive oil, yet they market it as something "upscale" - to me that is hipstery. My hipster factor generally goes with how pretentious I feel a place is trying to be. That's just my personal take on it though, as is my entire opinion on the matter.

Anyways I think we have gotten a bit off topic here. Personally, for this building, I feel like they could have done better, but that's just my personal opinion.
I find it really rich that someone who is pimping obscenely priced "alternative medicine" scams in their signature wants to lecture people on value and pretentiousness.

Just because you're OK eating a massive plate of garbage from a chain restaurant doesn't mean we all want to. Quality over quantity for me please.

On topic, I went to Merit last night and the line was crazy. Grabbed some bottles to go and while they were very expensive compared to other similar breweries, I really enjoyed the beer. I'll be back for lunch one of these days to try the sausages.

Last edited by interr0bangr; May 12, 2017 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:21 PM
Ham-burgher

I think any comparisons or critique relative to other restaurants is a bit misplaced. Let's not forget that despite the menu they offer to complement the brews they sell to consume on site, at its heart Merit is a brewery.

I've yet to go in, but personally I have no problem with a more "industrial" decor given what they're specializing in. And it adds more variety to the range of places people can enjoy in Hamilton.

Quote:
oh don't get me wrong they're both pretentious lol.. however when I walk into kelseys I love the atmosphere inside - most kelseys are beautiful inside - the inside of merit brewing greets you with a concrete wall. Imo if you are going to be pretentious about something, match it with some good atmosphere.

Sorry if that comes off as a bit snobby, but I am a traditionalist, with an extensive knowledge of the rich cultural and architectural background of hamilton. The restaurant in the lister block may have been retardedly overpriced, but at least the inside looked upscale.

It just seems odd.. you know? You got all these nice beautiful expensive places around, and then you have.. this place. It just feels like they are trying to market regular food in an upscale way, when it doesn't look upscale, or feel upscale.

I am sure I am making WAY more of a big deal of this than I should, at this point I am just overdwelling on it - so I shall say to them - good luck merit brewing, and whatever happens happens.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
I find it really rich that someone who is pimping obscenely priced "alternative medicine" scams in their signature wants to lecture people on value and pretentiousness.

Just because you're OK eating a massive plate of garbage from a chain restaurant doesn't mean we all want to. Quality over quantity for me please.

On topic, I went to Merit last night and the line was crazy. Grabbed some bottles to go and while they were very expensive compared to other similar breweries, I really enjoyed the beer. I'll be back for lunch one of these days to try the sausages.
it has tons of testimonials from people saying it works, me included as one of those people - thus its not a "scam". And it's not obscenely priced - the stuff lasts for 3-5 months - which roughly means its 12-20 bucks a month - no need to be so toxic in your responses dude.

In addition me and my partner get 8 bucks profit each from the sales, our distributer gets 48.75 from it - and we sell it for 65.00 - thus we are not hugely profiting off this. Yes we sell the other products for more but the big bottles can last anywhere from 8-14 YEARS, thus overall they are even cheaper per month than the bottles we sell singularly. In addition we aren't the only ones selling this type of product, but we are the only ones selling it from a completely natural source (others make their s artificially) and ours is THE cheapest on the market on a per month value. So overpriced? Not at all actually.

Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't make it a scam - like was said above, don't knock it till you try it. We have a 100% money back guarantee.

And I never said I was ok with eating a massive plate of garbage - but I like to have more than a tiny amount of "good quality" food presented artfully to me for 30 bucks please. If I am going to be paying 30 dollars for a meal, I want to feel full after. You should never have to sacrifice quality over quantity, or quantity over quality imo.

Also last I checked this was a forum on discussions of architecture in hamilton, not "how to insult a person over everything they say that we don't agree with". We all have opinions- it's fine to disagree, but don't insult a person over it.

Last edited by Chronamut; May 12, 2017 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
it has hundreds of testimonials from people saying it works, me included as one of those people - thus its not a "scam". And it's not obscenely priced - the stuff lasts for 3-5 months - which roughly means its 12-20 bucks a month - thanks for being a jerk for no reason though.

In addition me and my partner get 8 bucks profit each from the sales, our distributer gets 48.75 from it - and we sell it for 65.00 - thus we are not hugely profiting off this. Yes we sell the other products for more but the big bottles can last anywhere from 8-14 YEARS, thus overall they are even cheaper per month than the bottles we sell singularly.

Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't make it a scam - like was said above, don't knock it till you try it. We have a 100% money back guarantee.

And I never said I was ok with eating a massive plate of garbage - but I like to have more than a tiny amount of "good quality" food presented artfully to me for 30 bucks please. If I am going to be paying 30 dollars for a meal, I want to feel full after. You should never have to sacrifice quality over quantity, or quantity over quality imo.
The placebo effect is a hell of a drug, dude.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:22 PM
Hamilton Historian

So I FINALLY found a picture from the archives of what this building ORIGINALLY looked like before they LITERALLY plowed a road right through it. Enjoy!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:43 PM

Special hostesses??

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
Special hostesses??
"special" hostesses

oh man.. 25 cents an hour after 11.. what a dream..

but yeah, that parking lot, and the building with the 3 windows right behind the sign were demolished to have the road put in - it's why the side of the part of the building that wasn't renovated looks so.. patchy..

same with the building on the opposite side of the street.

Last edited by Chronamut; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:23 PM
Hamilton Historian

so I went by here last night and noticed that they have rebuilt the missing dormer on the left side - it's all just raw wood at the moment - not painted, but I found this interesting since it's basically just an aesthetic element.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton