HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Metrotower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 2:42 AM

Construction site from SkyTrain

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 3:57 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Well the new CBC building has applied to have some screens installed.
Apparently International Village is also authorized to have some large screens but it's just never happened, at least yet.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 7:39 PM

The screen at International Village would ahve been for the defunct Xtreme Sports facility that went belly up.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 8:26 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Good to know the history, I didn't know that. I do know though for whatever reason that the sign bylaw is still ammended to include a video screen at International village. Note sure if there are any plans to install one though.

Back to MT III do we know if there are any presigned tenants?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 8:49 AM

Here is a pic taken by me today. The site was very busy with activity.

And for fun another picture i took today of the existing towers.

Cheers

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 3:47 PM

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Back to MT III do we know if there are any presigned tenants?
There is no pre-lease requirement for this project and the developer is proceeding with construction on spec.

I agree with the signage comments, the video screens add an extremely urban feel to any environment, perfect for a development like Metrotown... Burnaby's Bylays would not allow it now, and I agree with the previous comments, it would be very hard to change that now... the new residential buildings might be the final nail...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 11:24 PM

No pre-lease? Risky? That is really a reflection on how well this office is managed. I have only worked at Metrotown for a short period of time and I can tell you that this complex offers amazing amenities and it is showcased in journals all the time. I think it recently won awards for enviro/green type initiatives. Although the "no pre-lease" is a risky scenario, I bet groups are lining up to take advantage of this place. Would the leasing/rental rates compare to downtown?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 4:24 PM
Hello World

There appears to be a private function going on at the lobby of Metrotower II with regards to Metrotower III. I went past it and saw a good number of people in suits and stuff. I didn't have a camera with me so I didn't take any photo, but if anybody's got time, go take some photos

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

makes the other two towers look like a couple of tall geeks nervously looking on at a hot babe at a highschool dance.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 9:07 PM

I think BIV said BestBuy was leasing office space in MetroTower III.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 9:25 PM

That would make sense, they are HQ'd in Burnaby already arent they?

And now that you mention it that sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure I have seen that somewhere too.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 9:28 PM

^I don't think it's a done deal, but they were rumoured to be interested in leasing the majority of space in the building. In BIV, Ivanhoe mentions them as a "potential tenant" , likely in negotiation.

Here's the article:

Shifting office markets

With economic conditions tightening, small surprise that a review of prospects for suburban office projects at the recent breakfast of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) attracted a good showing.

Just what are conditions like?

Conversations either side of breakfast brought tales of tenants departing without a trace, sublease opportunities on the rise and expansion opportunities put on hold for those tenants that are remaining.

It sounded like 2001 all over again.

And then there’s Discovery Green, which Morguard Investments Ltd. acquired from Discovery Parks Trust last year when the Discovery Parks board opted to sell rather than develop the project on spec.

There wasn’t a great fear the property wouldn’t lease up prior to completion, but Discovery Parks wanted to let someone else bear the risk.

HSBC Bank Canada has now fulfilled Morguard’s hopes, leasing the entire 150,000-square-foot building.

HSBC signage will adorn the high-profile building when complete, but visibility wasn’t the sole point in the property’s favour. Designed to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification, Discovery Green meshed with the bank’s commitment to sustainable practices.

Ditto for Metrotower 3, where Best Buy Canada Ltd. is a potential tenant (if comments by NAIOP speaker Brent Lee, director of leasing for developer Ivanhoe Cambridge, are any indication).

The 400,000-square-foot project is set for completion in 2011.

The upshot of the NAIOP presentations was that new suburban office space enjoys favourable prospects especially if it incorporates sustainable design features (a LEED rating helps) and is oriented to transit connections.

Global economic conditions have yet to be fully felt, and sublease opportunities are rising daily, but with Barclay Street Real Estate Ltd.’s latest report forecasting downtown vacancies moving toward 2.5% this year and approaching 1.8% in 2010, there are still opportunities to be had in the ’burbs.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 9:30 PM

Majority? Wow I didnt think a branch office HQ would need that much room.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 10:10 PM

^They already have over 150,000 square feet of office space in Burnaby, so it wouldn't be a stretch.

Keep in mind Best Buy Canada includes Future Shop, so even though it is a subsidiary of Best Buy, it doesn't neccesarily function like a typical branch HQ - they would need more space.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 9:56 PM

From the Burnaby Newsleader:

Quote:
Metrotown skyline to get third tower

Published: November 04, 2008 3:00 PM
Updated: November 04, 2008 3:19 PM
Metrotown is finally getting its third office tower.

Ivanhoe Cambridge, the owner, developer and manager of the Metrotower Office Complex, has decided, with office space in Metro Vancouver at a premium, the time is right to begin construction of a new $170 million 29 storey office tower, tucked in beside the two existing towers that have been a feature of Burnaby's skyline for more than 20 years.

"AAA Class office space in downtown Vancouver is in short supply, and we're confident that the success of the existing two towers, combined with our history of maintaining high occupancy rates makes this an ideal time to build Metrotower III," said Kim McInnes, the Executive Vice President and Chief Operation Officer at Ivanhoe Cambridge.

And, said Gordon Wylie, the company's Director of Development, when it's completed, the building will be right for the times, with a number of sustainable design elements and construction techniques that will help reduce its carbon footprint by 35%. In fact, it's the first project in Canada to be pre-certified for LEED CS Platinum, a nationally accepted rating system for the design, construction and operation of green buildings.

Besides taking measures to lessen the impact of the building's construction on the environment like using regionally sourced and recycled materials whenever possible, the building will also incorporate energy-efficient windows and low-emitting paints and carpets. It will also recycle rain water collected from the roof.

When it's completed in 2011, the new tower will add nearly 400,000 square feet of AAA Class office space, bringing the total rentable office space in the complex to over one million square feet.
And the Burnaby Now:

Quote:
Third tower for Metrotown

Burnaby Now
Published: Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The owner of B.C.'s largest shopping centre is launching a new 29-storey office tower,

On Tuesday, Ivanhoe Cambridge opened the presentation centre for Metrotown Three.

The project is the third office tower in the Metrotower office complex, which is connected to Metropolis at Metrotown.

The tower will set a new sustainable design standard in Canada and will have a low "eco-footprint," a news release says.

In 2002, Ivanhoe Cambridge announced it had purchased Metrotown Centre from Manulife Financial.

Since then, the two malls have been amalgamated through an extensive renovation. The first phase saw the construction of a massive new food court on the second level on one side of the mall, plus an accompanying underground loading area with access from Bennett Street.

During phase 2 of the mall's facelift, the two previous food courts were converted into additional retail space, creating room for several more new shops.

The officer tower is the latest stage of the renovation.

© Burnaby Now 2008

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

From todays Journal of Commerce

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/article/id31609

MetroTower III aims to reach new heights for green building

Embracing sustainable construction practices is just good business, maintains one of Canada’s largest real estate developers, owners and building managers.

Ivanhoe Cambridge Inc. has announced construction of its 25-storey, third tower at its Burnaby MetroTower Complex, which will carry the highest commercial green rating possible.

It is the U.S. Green Building Council’s first Canadian pre-certified LEED Platinum core and shell commercial building structure.

“Initially it is expensive,” said Gordon Wylie, director development at Ivanhoe Cambridge, speaking about the $170 million project that construction manager Ledcor Construction Ltd. started in August. However, cost-savings accrue over time.

“We take a long-term view of our properties,” he said, as the company is a subsidiary of a major Canadian pension fund.

Meeting the LEED Platinum standard added an extra $1.5 million to the building’s cost, but front and back-end benefits are there.

Tenants will decide their own internal fit out, but the core and shell rating will help tenants meet LEED or sustainability policies in-house.

Without any effort, other than registering their projects, tenants can achieve a LEED Silver, Commercial Interior (CI) certification, but with increased attention, there is the opportunity to earn a Gold or Platinum rating for the office.

Wylie pointed to the building’s energy conservation measures that include large windows, light sensors, heat exchangers and a conscious decision to move to renewable energy.

Such features are expected to reduce operating costs by $75,000 annually.

Architect Terrance Wong of Stantec Architecture Ltd. said the building is a bold move that demanded a challenging design able to fit into a 20-year-old master plan.

An example of this is the building’s southwest side, which is curved to maximize the daylight in a popular nearby plaza.

“We didn’t want a building that would cast a big shadow on the plaza,” he said.

Project: MetroTower III
Special significance: First Canadian LEED Platinum pre-certified core and shell commercial structure.
Construction manager: Ledcor Construction Ltd.
Developer: Ivanhoe Cambridge
Architect: Stantec Architecture Ltd.
Landscape architect: PWL Partnership Inc.
Consulting engineers: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. - (structural)
Cobalt Engineering - (mechanical)
Nemetz (S/A) & Associates Ltd. - (electrical)

The building’s design, utilizes windows with low-e glass by glass manufacturer Viracon. They allow 2.5 times more light into the building, but minimizes heat transfers.

Water consumption is another important design feature.

Runoff rainwater from Tower II will be collected through new piping and along with that collected from Tower III, directed into a cistern, located at the new tower’s base.

We will use it to irrigate the landscape around Tower III and also for water for the fountain that is a water feature. It also gives us a supply of water to flush the toilets in Tower III,” Wylie said.

Using non-potable water for low-flush toilets added cost, as a second set of plumbing is required to accommodate incoming water.

But, in the long run, as water costs increase, cost savings should accrue.

The landscaping by PWL Partnership Inc., combined with the building’s on-site footprint, will attempt to keep a large number of drought-resistant plants on site.

“We are restoring a lot of the habitat. We have a green roof on site and we have landscaping extending under the office floor plate,” said Wylie.

“We are very sensitive to the environment and we have removed 22 trees from the site and these trees will be replanted on site. There will be a total of 49 trees put back – a doubling of the amount.”

The Metrotown site provides for an ideal opportunity to practice sustainability features, said Wylie.

“We are able to reduce our carbon footprint by about 35 per cent,” he said.

The area is served by rapid transit and has a bus loop near by, which reduced the need for on-site parking.

About 20 per cent of the materials being used in the building are derived from regional suppliers.

“All the lighting fixtures are coming from a local company,” he said and added that 90 per cent of waste materials during construction are being recycled and kept from the landfill.

“We are using recycled rebar and the concrete has a fly-ash content,” he said.

The structure is cast in place concrete. All the wood used in the building’s finishing is certified to ensure it comes from sustainable forests.

Wylie said that Tower I and Tower II already have showers and lock-ups for joggers and cyclers, but Tower III will have significantly larger end-of-trip facilities.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 10:54 PM

Again, at least metro town can build a new office tower (nudge nudge Vancouver)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 6:17 AM
Dérive-r

Sounds impressive. I believe that will make it BC's first LEED Platinum building, unless there are other platinum buildings currently u/c (which there easily could be in SEFC for example). Anybody know about this? All I know is that there aren't any completed platinum buildings in BC currently.

EDIT: Replace BC with Metro Vancouver

Last edited by raggedy13; Dec 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 6:49 AM

Supposedly the community centre in SEFC will be leed platinum. I don't know of any others. Hillcrest is gold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley