HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 1:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
I thought Kent's wanted to take over the old Costco spot.... or that was the rumor I had heard.
Actually I've heard that rumour too, from the spouse of someone working in the construction industry, but since it was a second hand rumour, and I wasn't sure of the veracity of the rumour, I didn't bother mentioning it on the [Retail] thread. It's interesting this rumour is making the rounds though.

In Halifax, Kent is moving their existing Micmac store to Dartmouth Crossing next to IKEA, so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that they might do something like that here too. The Costco location would give them better street presence, and the opportunity to have a more modern facility (although their current store isn't that old).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Actually I've heard that rumour too, from the spouse of someone working in the construction industry, but since it was a second hand rumour, and I wasn't sure of the veracity of the rumour, I didn't bother mentioning it on the [Retail] thread. It's interesting this rumour is making the rounds though.

In Halifax, Kent is moving their existing Micmac store to Dartmouth Crossing next to IKEA, so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that they might do something like that here too. The Costco location would give them better street presence, and the opportunity to have a more modern facility (although their current store isn't that old).
Kent's new distribution centre in Caledonia is already full and the warehouse they have on English Dr. in the MID that was suppose to be eliminated is still in operation so they wanted to move that to Trinity. At least that's the story I heard.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Kent's new distribution centre in Caledonia is already full and the warehouse they have on English Dr. in the MID that was suppose to be eliminated is still in operation so they wanted to move that to Trinity. At least that's the story I heard.
Interesting. In Halifax, their existing store at Micmac is being repurposed for office space for the shipyard. It wouldn't be beyond them to purchase the Costco store and repurpose it for something else.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:23 PM

Well it could be total BS. For all I know, Amazon will buy it and fly delivery drones out of it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:01 PM

Something called HaliMac Axe Throwing is opening a location in Moncton in the near future.

http://919thebend.ca/news/411395038/...n-moncton-fall

https://www.facebook.com/halimacaxet...078779927225:0

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I remember Marks & Spencer I do not remember any locations being in Atlantic Canada though.

I seen Woolworths in Africa, and Australia, and also they have Woolworths Food in Africa that looks like a higher end grocery store. The ones in Australia have been renamed Big W. The Australian Woolworths stores that are left are there Grocery stores.

As for FAO Swartz it Defunct in 2015. But stayed open as an online store. Toys are us owned it from 2009-2016 then it was sold for an undisclosed amount to the Three Sixty Group, and they have run it since as an online retailer.
Quote:
Marks & Spencer used to be next to Sears (roughly where the Laura store is now) and next to Betty Rubin (when her store was active there). It closed in the mid 1990s when the entire chain decamped Canada.

I liked Marks. The clothes were decent and their little food hall was interesting to poke around in.
ah cool. They had some potato hoop things that were so good. I noticed a grocery store was carrying some marks & spencer branded goods, I think it was superstore but I haven't seem them lately, things like teas, jams and biscuits.

In BC or the west where save-on-foods stores are, save-on-foods now have a little section that carrys Tesco Branded goods. Quite a decent little selection.

I'll be going to australia in july can check out the Big W.

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/catego...products-74440

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Toys "R" Us is circling the drain, The US chain is liquidating, the British chain is closing all it's stores but the Canadian chain remains profitable and a bid has been received to keep the 82 Canadian stores operating,

Bid submitted for Toys “R” Us Canada by California toy company
By Staff The Associated Press
https://globalnews.ca/news/4083991/b...s-r-us-canada/

Quote:
MGA Entertainment Inc. confirmed in an email Tuesday it has submitted a bid for the Canadian stores.
“Toys “R” Us Canada is a good business,” said MGA CEO Isaac Larian in a brief emailed statement.

“They run it efficiently, and have good leadership. At the right price, it makes economical sense.”

The company, which owns brands such as L.O.L. Surprise!, Little Tikes and Num Noms, refused in a followup email to give further detail about how much it is bidding or whether it wants to buy the entire chain or parts of it.
So, for the time being, it's operations as usual for Toys "R" Us Canada, but the future is certainly a cloudy one. There is however a chance that at least a portion of the Canadian chain might be salvaged. Circuit City after all lives on in Canada as The Source, and it's operations seem pretty healthy. It will be interesting to keep an eye on this one. Personally, I give TRU (Canada) about 50/50 odds..........

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:39 AM

Radio Shack lives in Canada as The Source. We never had Circuit City up here. *Edit* We did have Circuit City, but they didn't become the Source in any case. Though I think Radio Shack US bought Circuit City before the end times.

But the rest is true, and I'm hopeful that TRU can survive up here.

I'm also hopeful that those Toy Companies might be able to salvage the toy store in the US as well. The format should be valid; kids will want to buy toys now, not wait for Amazon to ship the next day. Just need to keep the vampires from sucking them dry.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Crombie REIT is Sobeys. Crombie is part of Empire which owns Sobeys, so it all comes full circle.
I’m aware of this, but Crombie REIT had to purchase the properties from Sobeys. Essentially was a logistical thing, moving money from one part of the company to be other. Sobeys and Crombie are different tho, in that they are two spokes of the same wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Radio Shack lives in Canada as The Source. We never had Circuit City up here. *Edit* We did have Circuit City, but they didn't become the Source in any case. Though I think Radio Shack US bought Circuit City before the end times.

But the rest is true, and I'm hopeful that TRU can survive up here.

I'm also hopeful that those Toy Companies might be able to salvage the toy store in the US as well. The format should be valid; kids will want to buy toys now, not wait for Amazon to ship the next day. Just need to keep the vampires from sucking them dry.
When Circuit City bought RadioShack, they originally rebranded all the Canadian stores as The Source by Circuit City.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
When Circuit City bought RadioShack, they originally rebranded all the Canadian stores as The Source by Circuit City.
Ah right, I had forgotten that brief period. My bad. So The Source is a company that survived 1.75 parent companies in the States going under. (Circuit City is long gone, and Radio Shack is all but gone now).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to this video link from BNN, https://www.bnn.ca/video/~1347597, Quebec based department store chain Simons is feeling "stretched" by its recent nationwide store expansion and is seriously thinking about taking on private equity partners.

Up to now, Simons has been a private family firm. Taking on private equity partners would be a bad, bad, BAD move IMHO. Private equity has been the kiss of death for many retailers recently. Capitalists are only concerned about earnings and dividends. They also don't understand how retail works. They can't comprehend strategic investment. They are vultures only interested in the bottom line.

What does this mean for a possible Simons in Moncton? I think this is bad news. Simons has obviously reached the end of the line in terms of its ability to fund future expansion. A Moncton location was always iffy given the size of the community. In the interview on BNN, Peter Simon did mention that they would continue to consider future expansion options. A store at HSC might be a consideration, and a Moncton location might still make sense in terms of supply chain, but I'm a little less hopeful now than I was yesterday.......

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Ah right, I had forgotten that brief period. My bad. So The Source is a company that survived 1.75 parent companies in the States going under. (Circuit City is long gone, and Radio Shack is all but gone now).
Radio Shack lives on Stranger Things and Young Sheldon.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
According to this video link from BNN, https://www.bnn.ca/video/~1347597, Quebec based department store chain Simons is feeling "stretched" by its recent nationwide store expansion and is seriously thinking about taking on private equity partners.

Up to now, Simons has been a private family firm. Taking on private equity partners would be a bad, bad, BAD move IMHO. Private equity has been the kiss of death for many retailers recently. Capitalists are only concerned about earnings and dividends. They also don't understand how retail works. They can't comprehend strategic investment. They are vultures only interested in the bottom line.

What does this mean for a possible Simons in Moncton? I think this is bad news. Simons has obviously reached the end of the line in terms of its ability to fund future expansion. A Moncton location was always iffy given the size of the community. In the interview on BNN, Peter Simon did mention that they would continue to consider future expansion options. A store at HSC might be a consideration, and a Moncton location might still make sense in terms of supply chain, but I'm a little less hopeful now than I was yesterday.......
Simons is looking to ramp up online sales and to achieve that, they are building a brand new $125-millions distribution center in Québec city. The need of private equity partners is to finance this ambitious project. They are negotiating with the provincial government for a $81-millions grant/loan.

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2018/...ution-a-quebec
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2018/...uebec#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Capitalists are only concerned about earnings and dividends. They also don't understand how retail works. They can't comprehend strategic investment. They are vultures only interested in the bottom line.
Are the private owners of the chain not capitalists?

I work for a company owned by a PE firm that is strategically investing hundreds of millions of dollars in us.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Are the private owners of the chain not capitalists?

I work for a company owned by a PE firm that is strategically investing hundreds of millions of dollars in us.
Of course it is difficult to make broad generalizations.

If we go back to the T. Eaton Company, it was the grandchildren of Timothy Eaton who ran that proud retail empire into the ground by treating the company as their personal piggy bank. The cupboard was laid bare and the Eaton's chain crashed and burned.

This does not take away the fact that predatory investors do exist, and, at the very least, by opening up your private company to outside investment, this means that you lose control of your company (if your investors have more than 50% equity).

Private equity investors and hedge fund managers did a lot to hasten the demise of Sears and Toys R Us. Predatory investors have done a lot to weaken HBC as well (by forcing the sale of high value downtown real estate for example in order to improve shareholder dividends). This is short sighted. Profits from property sales like this should be plowed back into the company to renovate stores and pay down debt rather than to line shareholders pockets.

Of course there are thoughtful investors out there capable of mentoring new companies and willing to invest for the long haul and willing to wait until a company is profitable before being rewarded. The trick is to find the right investor.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Eat it Brands (the parent corporation of Pur & Simple, soon to be opening in Plaza 1909 on Mountain Road) is looking for local franchisees for another of their restaurant concepts (The Fifth Ticket) in both Moncton and Halifax.

http://eatitbrands.com/franchise/

http://www.thefifthticket.com

Looks pretty upscale:

Menu: http://www.thefifthticket.com/menu/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Official new release from Toys "R" Us Canada:

So, it remains full steam ahead for TRU (Canada) - the Chapter 11 in the US is not going to affect them. They are planning on carrying on in the long haul. Here's hoping they have great success. It will be quite an adventure for them over the next year as they try and find their footing without their US parent. Since TRU (Canada) is well managed and profitable, they just may be able to pull this off........

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:18 AM

I'm glad to see that Toys R Us will be staying at this point in time. In a year or 2 in the future, we'll see. It's been a rough couple of years for brick and mortar stores in Canada; Target, Future Shop, Sears, just to name them. Amazon is just too strong at this point and it won't stop. While I don't shop at Toys R Us that much having that option is nice for consumers. Because here in Canada people shop at Walmart and Costco, that's about it and I like neither of them much; Walmart is well... Walmart and Costco is a place for over consumption to the max, it's almost obscene in some way. In any event, I still miss Target, what could've been. Woolco lasted a good decade in Canada after it was gone in the US, hopefully this will reoccur with TRU Canada.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Eat it Brands (the parent corporation of Pur & Simple, soon to be opening in Plaza 1909 on Mountain Road) is looking for local franchisees for another of their restaurant concepts (The Fifth Ticket) in both Moncton and Halifax.

http://eatitbrands.com/franchise/

http://www.thefifthticket.com

Looks pretty upscale:

Menu: http://www.thefifthticket.com/menu/

I think this would look great downtown... maybe in the Hyatt, possibly in a renovated building .

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another Quebec based retailer is planning on moving into the Moncton market.

There is a job posting online on Indeed.com for a sales associate for a new store opening (Cazza Petites) in CF Champlain.

http://www.cazzapetite.com

This makes three upcoming store openings in CF Champlain:
- Roots
- Envy
- Cazza Petites

On a darker note, online chatter seems to be veering from something exotic or exciting in the old Sears location towards a rather more mundane possibility - a commercial office space or (horrors) a call centre!!!

Nothing confirmed of course, but certain people (possibly in the know) are openly voicing this possibility, perhaps to tenderize the populace into accepting the inevitable.

I also have been growing more pessimistic over the last several weeks. HBC is having challenges, and Simons is running short of cash for future expansions (unless they get private equity partners). As such, the possibility of a single retailer taking over the Sears space is becoming unlikely. I still hope for the space to be subdivided for retail, and there are interesting possibilities out there (like an Indigo relocation, Rec Room or several other fashion retailers like F21 Red), but the rumours on the street are getting more persistent........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces