Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2x
Oh yeah I know that city and its famous citizen Andrei Chikatilo too
Are you his friend or worshipper?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 12:48 PM
Schroedinger's Cat

Lviv
but first it should gain European standards, if Ukrainian authorities don't understand that and don't act to do so it'll never be worth coming for tourists with average demands which are connected with obligate conditions (current water for example). tourism is not a survival

take a bottle drink it down pass it around

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:21 PM

Annecy

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm
I've been to Nizhniy Novgorod. Unless it's changed dramatically, I'd say it's more or less correctly rated. It has some potential, but it's nowhere near most of the other cities mentioned here. I also spent about a week in Yekaterinburg, in the middle of winter. I liked the 20's architecture on Prospekt Glavniy/Lenina, and the setting around the lake is probably quite nice in summer, but other than that, unfortunately, I'd say it's unknown as a tourist destination for a reason. I also encountered more xenophobia in Yekaterinburg than anywhere else in Russia.

Based on what I've read, and pictures I've seen, none of the other cities you mention above are terribly underrated either. They were probably very nice at some point, but Soviet gradostroitel'stvo left them functional, though not especially charming.

I did quite enjoy Vologa and Yelets and some smaller towns, but given the red tape - and expense - you have to go through to get there, I'm not sure it's worth trying to visit unless you're already in Russia for other reasons. Just not very much bang for the buck.

Of course, this is just my opinion; no offense meant, these are just my impressions.
I am sorry you had bad experience in Yekaterinburg. the city is improving however, but of course it will take a while for it to shake off the Soviet past. if you don't mind me asking, can you tell more about the cases of xenophobia you had experienced there?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 6:02 PM

Ukrainian cities are better than most in other eastern European countries, but are rarely visited I'm not being biased, of course

But really, most people probably don't even have a general idea of what ukrainain cities look like.

Dnipro

Kyiv

A lot of pics here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5&page=1&pp=20

Lviv

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 7:04 PM
Gascons aren't Vascons

Astrakhan seems underrated. Just to find pictures of it is hard. That city sort of seem fascinating to me.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 7:28 PM

When I visited Romania (no offense) I was quite surprised as to how our (Ukrainian) cities were superior in architecture and infrastructure.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 8:42 PM
hemelschraper

Berlin, an absolutely fantastic city, though a little short on scrapers.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Ukrainian cities are better than most in other eastern European countries, but are rarely visited I'm not being biased, of course
I've been to Lwów/Lviv/Lvov recently and i must say im in two minds about it. On the one hand the infrasructure is terrible and the poverty sticks out, tenements are neglected and so on( i do understand it, cause you-the Ukrainians were under Soviet occupation just like us/Polish/ for quite a long time, but in even worse situation)On the other hand Lviv has such a potencial that it can become soon one of the most often visited city in this part of Europe(together with Prague and Krakow).I do wish Ukraine all the best.Poland and Ukraine should be always together.

Of course the most underrated city is... TORUN/POLAND/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlak
Krakow! Authentic historic city with great restaurants and amazing architecture dating back as far as 900 AD. Can't wait to go back.
i will second this. i may be biased as i am of polish heritage (living in chicago, imagine!), but i lived in europe for over 3.5 years, and i loved krakow. the dark vodka bars where you can sip a tetonka (zubrowka and apple juice), the largest medieval square in europe, great coffee shops, etc.

one of my favorite cities, if not my very favorite, is budapest. it just has "it". vienna, its imperial older brother, pales in comparison.

lastly, i would also add koeln.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 9:48 AM

Porto, Vienna, Genoa

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 10:00 AM

Marseille-

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 11:22 AM

Tartu in Estonia

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 6:56 PM

One of the most forgotten cities in central europe and even in Austria is definitely Graz, although it is an absolutely fascinating and beautiful city. The largest complete mediaeval historic city centre in whole europe, great imperial buildings from the 19th century and a nearly mediterranean charme.
But always forgotten between Vienna and Salzburg, althoug it is much more interesting and pretty than Salzburg, the Euro-Disneyland.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 7:45 PM

These come ty my mind: Naples (3 million people, and how rarely mentioned here), Vienna (once among top 5 capitals in Europe), Budapest, Saint Petersburg (see Vienna), generally all major italian cities (don't they build anything new in Rome?), Lyon, Marseille, Lodz, Ruhr area...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
These cities are beautiful and historic but stagnant in terms of development - and this is a skyscraper forum after all.
AFAIK there are some skyscraper developments underway in Vienna, with some skyscrapers already standing. In terms of skyscrapers in the german speaking part of Europe I would put Vienna on 2nd or 3rd place behind Frankfurt and eventually Cologne (Köln).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 4:20 PM

Vienna is an absolutely booming City nowerdays. There are two ore three big Skyscraper-Clusters in the outer districts of the city. Nearly all three to four moths a new builing-complex gets brought on its way or gets finished. And in the near future there will come some 200+ towers on the Donauplatte which are already in planning.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:58 AM

Warsaw

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 12:09 AM

Valencia

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 9:02 PM
Curious athenian

Stuttgart, Germany: awful setting among green hills, beautiful architecture similar to that in Prague, home town of two major car manufacturers
Nuremberg, Germany: historic center surrounded by a very large and deep moat, beautiful buildings
Lyon, France: Paris-style architecture but prices 2/3 of those in Paris, hills offering spectacular views accessible by funicular, cute historic district
Bern, Switzerland: perhaps the most beautiful capital in Europe. Historic center surrounded by a U-shaped gorge.
Graz, Austria: spectacular setting, a castle dominates the city on a hill

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe