HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:28 AM

Alexander Docks - Public Consult

http://www.theforks.com/business/go-to-the-waterfront

For people to put their two cents in on what they should do with the Alexander Docks. I would be interested in hearing some of the ideas of the people on this forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

grr what a skewed consult lame

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
grr what a skewed consult lame
what would you like to see go in there 1ajs?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:03 AM

^Yup. I don't even understand the others. 1) a food truck parking lot? 3) some sort of adult swing sets? 4) more parking?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
what would you like to see go in there 1ajs?
Rebuild that dock add docs to it for.smaller craft for residents of the exchange to dock a boat and people who want to commute downtown On the river in the summer who pay allot of tax dallors to be on the river......

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:05 PM

Repairing the dock and expanding the dock-like capabilities of the space seem vital to me too. Otherwise, what's the point? They can build a playground anywhere, and there's no shortage of parking lots nearby. If that's really all they're working with they shouldn't even bother. I'd rather see it fenced off looking like shit for another ten years than see them deliberately build something useless.

Anyway, what would be good is continuing the path between Mere and Cibo down to the edge of the dock, and back up to the Scots monument. There was a plan ten years ago or so to make a building between the dock and Waterfront, which is a good idea. But I'd like to see something low, with its roof at street level (where they can build their damn playground) and some retail spaces next to the dock.

They can park a food truck in the river.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cant build much other then a dock where the dock most of the site floods every yr

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 4:18 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
cant build much other then a dock where the dock most of the site floods every yr
#operatetgebloodyfloodway

It also could be built bearing in mind flooding so some form of water barriers to keep it dry

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:44 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Rebuild that dock add docs to it for.smaller craft for residents of the exchange to dock a boat and people who want to commute downtown On the river in the summer who pay allot of tax dallors to be on the river......
So option #4. A parking lot... but for boats.

I can't say that I would want to leave a boat in that area unattended for any length of time.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:29 PM

Should have added all the categories, (images) to my previous post

1. Connectivity and Active Living

2. Nature and Environment

3. History and Memory

4. Features and Services

http://www.theforks.com/business/go-to-the-waterfront

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:13 PM

Pedestrian bridge to Whittier Park linking St. B and the Exchange would be cool.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:30 PM

Not worth it IMO with the Esplanade so close by, several other pedestrian bridges I'd like to see first. Maybe in 15 years if Point Douglas gets redeveloped and is bustling, then one a little past the last roundabout on Waterfront could be good. Problem is the Red is so big, any crossing of it is a big cost.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Not worth it IMO with the Esplanade so close by, several other pedestrian bridges I'd like to see first. Maybe in 15 years if Point Douglas gets redeveloped and is bustling, then one a little past the last roundabout on Waterfront could be good. Problem is the Red is so big, any crossing of it is a big cost.
I meant giving the people of the Exchange direct access to a giant park.

That's a trek to go from Exchange to Esplanade, down Tache all the way to Whittier and then back again. I do see your points though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
Pedestrian bridge to Whittier Park linking St. B and the Exchange would be cool.
I've often thought that would be a great idea! Linking Whittier from near Fort Gibraltar to somewhere near the end of Waterfront, in the northern part of the east exchange. Basically halfway between provencher and higgins.

It allows anyone in exchange and point douglas to access Whittier park, and it could be a commuter route for anyone biking down annabella from Disraeli ped bridge.

Although, we'll see what the results are from the Eastern Rapid Transit corridor study. If we decide to go through St. B with RT, there will surely be some AT component of any RT bridge over the red.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:25 PM

Count me in on a pedestrian bridge between Whittier park and Point Douglas. The Point Herbert Nimbys would probably complain like they've lived there for a hundred years.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:04 PM

To keep this on topic, I'm envisioning the ped bridge from St. B to exchange would land at Fort Douglas park on the north side, which is right beside the alexander docks. Long term planning documents could account for a bridge there for any shorter term recommendations for how to improve the area. A ped bridge between the 3 communities (St. B, east exchange, point douglas) would only bring more people through the area. Would only help any redevelopment of the docks area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bridge should be to the old ogilvy oats mill lands witch the city owns.......

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 4:14 PM

Does anyone know if a true water bus system in Winnipeg is possible? I've wondered why that water bus service isn't expanded a bit to go a bit farther. I'd say make this another stop on that route.

I've used the waterbus to 'commute' once to work (though it doesn't go very far and I could have just walked I thought I would try it out) and thought it was an interesting concept for the summer.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Does anyone know if a true water bus system in Winnipeg is possible? I've wondered why that water bus service isn't expanded a bit to go a bit farther. I'd say make this another stop on that route.

I've used the waterbus to 'commute' once to work (though it doesn't go very far and I could have just walked I thought I would try it out) and thought it was an interesting concept for the summer.
I've wondered the same. I think in its current state it's too much of a novelty and very tour oriented.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if they added more stops along the rivers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan