HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Sounds about right, though it might not be a Topgolf that ultimately goes there. It could be one of their competitors like DriveShack that could possibly be a part of that development.
I would have to say topgolf their official s made it clear they wanted to be in downtown Memphis. This would be a great mixed use development

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
I would have to say topgolf their official s made it clear they wanted to be in downtown Memphis. This would be a great mixed use development
This is from twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/topgolf/s...296192?lang=en

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:48 PM

Fairgrounds redevelopment plans move forward

Quote:
A 185,000-square foot indoor sports complex will be the centerpiece of a planned $95-100 million phase of development at the former Mid-South Fairgrounds in a plan presented today by the Division of Housing & Community Development to the City Council.

The proposed phase also includes an improved Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, a new outdoor track and playing field, and infrastructure for a hotel and retail development. This follows a decade-long phase of improvements to the site that includes the popular Kroc Center and Tiger Lane developments.
https://www.memphistn.gov/news/what_...s_move_forward

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:26 PM

Additonal rendering & coverage.

More Detailed Fairgrounds Plan Includes Smaller Garage, Lower Priced Sports Site
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
It comes with a 285-car garage attached to it at a total price of $55 million to $60 million – the largest item in terms of dollar figures in the proposal. The garage includes a first floor dedicated to parking buses. And a lot with 300 spaces is planned next to the outdoor track and playing field that will be next to the indoor complex. The Libertyland site is now used to park 2,300 cars on game days at the Liberty Bowl.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...d-sports-site/

rendering (City of Memphis)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:04 PM

A 75-foot Carvana tower for the Appling Farms-Goodlett Farms-Shelby Oaks business district and a nod to Midtown Memphis' storied Buccaneer Lounge.

...Vehicle ‘Vending Machine,’ and New Life on Former Buccaneer Site
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...me-apartments/

Quote:
0 Appling Farms Pkwy., Memphis, TN 38133: According to paperwork submitted to the Office of Planning and Development, Carvana is planning a 5,800-square-foot building located on a 6-acre vacant parcel on Appling Farms Parkway near Interstate 40. Carvana operates stores in Nashville, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, Raleigh, Tempe and Gaithersburg, Maryland. Carvana is seeking modification from the Land Use Control Board to allow a maximum building height of 75 feet and a total of nine attached signs and logo placards. Under the current planned development, a maximum building height of 65 feet and five attached signs are allowed.
Quote:
1368 Monroe Ave., 38104: Developer Cameron Ellis is planning to construct a quadraplex at the site of a once-popular Midtown bar. For decades, the Buccaneer, located at 1368 Monroe, was a popular spot for locals to enjoy live music and cheap beer. The building was destroyed by a fire shortly after it closed its doors for the last time.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...me-apartments/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image Reliable Glass AZ
www.reliableglassaz.com

image Reliable Glass AZ
www.reliableglassaz.com

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:52 PM

10,000 sq-ft event center including 2 ballrooms & an additional 2,500 sq-ft gazebo outdoors near the Landers Center & new Tanger Outlets in Southaven.

After 12-year journey, Southerner's event venue opening in Southaven
By Jason Bolton – Data Editor, Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The ballroom will feature 17-foot ceilings, a 120-foot projection screen and an iron staircase leading from a second-floor bridal suite to the ballroom floor.
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...ent-venue.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image Southern Elegance
www.southernelegancellc.com

image Southern Elegance
www.southernelegancellc.com

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:15 PM

Photo update of The Memphis Business Hub for Creatives at 138 St. Paul Ave.

Creative business hub launching on South Main
By Jason Bolton – Data Editor, Memphis Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...outh-main.html

image courtesy ArtUp

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...outh-main.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:58 PM

I'm excited for what's about to happen on the north end of downtown. Other projects, including this one that's unfolding will transform the area.

Close to 1 billion dollars will be invested near 100 North Main. Not even including the $9 Billion St. Jude planning to invest near by. Basically by the end of the summer the Tisch family will know if they will demolish 100 N Main and build a new big tower, with additional scrapers, or revitalize and build around it. I encourage to read the full article.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...sch/752514002/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Basically by the end of the summer the Tisch family will know if they will demolish 100 N Main and build a new big tower, with additional scrapers, or revitalize and build around it. I encourage to read the full article.
Incredible news and very bold vision. The reporting seems to backup the talk with their reputation.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jul 15, 2018 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I'm excited for what's about to happen on the north end of downtown. Other projects, including this one that's unfolding will transform the area.

Close to 1 billion dollars will be invested near 100 North Main. Not even including the $9 Billion St. Jude planning to invest near by. Basically by the end of the summer the Tisch family will know if they will demolish 100 N Main and build a new big tower, with additional scrapers, or revitalize and build around it. I encourage to read the full article.

I support demolishing 100 North Main and building a taller structure. Memphis deserves better and this would be a major achievement. I love the fact that we are able to renovate older buildings, but who says that we shouldn’t have a greater vision?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
I support demolishing 100 North Main and building a taller structure. Memphis deserves better and this would be a major achievement. I love the fact that we are able to renovate older buildings, but who says that we shouldn’t have a greater vision?
I agree, I mean it would be nice for the building to be renovated and it would be a big accomplishment if they do but honestly the skyline would look much better if they made a couple new towers in it's place, but if they do knock it down I bet there would be a cpl protests against it

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:

Glad to get some info from the new owners-- my biggest fear of this falling through was going to be a "this building is too much to renovate" and that would be the downfall. I'm not that in love with this building and I love how we've saved a lot of others recently, but if we get something entirely new and modern that'd be great, or if somehow they work it out to keep it with some new buildings around it that's still a win.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Glad to get some info from the new owners-- my biggest fear of this falling through was going to be a "this building is too much to renovate" and that would be the downfall. I'm not that in love with this building and I love how we've saved a lot of others recently, but if we get something entirely new and modern that'd be great, or if somehow they work it out to keep it with some new buildings around it that's still a win.
Unfortunately I think that the only way this property will be redeveloped will be by getting rid of the current building. I would be completely in favor of that building coming down for something new and modern. A fresh looking building in place of 100 n main would completely change the look of Memphis. Just imagine an implosion of 100 N main that would be a sight to see.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:03 AM

Now we just need to get someone to redevelop or knock down the sterrick building

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:36 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1175 View Post
Now we just need to get someone to redevelop or knock down the sterrick building
There actually has been some recent (within the last year) looks into its redevelopment. One included hotel space and the other included mixed-use - primarily residential and small office space; nothing large that would include a relocation of a tenant that would need space for hundreds of employees.

I'm not for sure if either of those have made it very far.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:42 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Regarding 100 N Main, given that it is listed on the National Register, it would be eligible for historic tax credits. I don't feel strongly about the development group demolishing it; however, given current standards for office space, I'm not sure how viable the current floor to ceiling heights would be for office space. I'd want to make sure that financing was completely in order for new construction on the site prior to demolition. Nothings worse that demolishing a vacant structure only for redevelopment plans to fall through and the lot sit empty for years.

The existing parking structure is a hidden gem, in financial terms. The development of structured parking is extremely expensive; depending on location/construction costs the price could easily range from $40,000 to $50,000 per parking space to develop; that adds up quickly.

Generally it always is cheaper to keep her.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
There actually has been some recent (within the last year) looks into its redevelopment. One included hotel space and the other included mixed-use - primarily residential and small office space; nothing large that would include a relocation of a tenant that would need space for hundreds of employees.

I'm not for sure if either of those have made it very far.

That’s awesome to hear. I was always under the impression nothing much was really able to even be discussed due to it’s lease and ownership issues that apparently have a few years to go.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:59 AM

I'd like to see the Sterick Building reactivated at street level, sandblasted exterior with LED lighting in its recesses. Then gut & mothball the interior above and renovate sections as the market demands.

I'd be a bit disappointed if any height is lost from a 100 N. Main redevelpment. The building would look great recladded with ribbon glass & spruced up rooftop. With the lower ceiling heights, I always thought it would make a perfect supplemental covention center hotel. Also, the now contiguous land next door could support a large tower or 2.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jul 18, 2018 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:18 PM

The Sterick is worth saving. The deco/gothic style building is rare now days. Very unique. I would like it painted similar as The American Radiator building in NYC.

100 N Main the only unique thing about it to me is the revolving restaurant at the top. The I bank tower in East Memphis have one already, so we'll still have one in the city.
I'm so-so on the demo. If what's being replaced is smaller (not too much) than I'd rather a renovation, especially glass like Johnny mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 7:31 PM

I will NEVER support demolishing the Sterick Building. The building would have to be cleaned before being demolished and that alone would cost alot of money. If anything should be torn down, it should be the Renaissance Apartments. The building isn't terrible but it's not worthy of such a prominent location near the river.

Also, the plan for 100 North Main needs to be concrete. I would hate for them to demolish the building and then run out of money. Memphis would be left with a smaller skyline than 40 years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations