HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:26 PM

Talking EDGEWATER, NJ | 115 River road | 715 FT + 665 FT + 635 FT + 595 FT | ~70-60 FLOORS

https://newyorkyimby.com/2017/11/mas...edgewater.html

1919 units. There is fierce opposition to the project, with the city of Edgewater pursuing Eminent Domain to snatch the land from the developers!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 3:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hot damn!!!

When I first read this on NYY I was thinking it was above the cliff, which would have made these look enormous. Alas, Edgewater is entirely below the cliffs, hence its' name. This is an awesome proposal. Let's hope it doesn't get whittled down by whiners. The potential in the Hudson waterfront that this dev shows just displays how ridiculous it was that so many pathetic little townhouse dev's have squandered so many good spots. Maybe the economics could see the replacement of said complex's in say 20 years?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 3:33 PM

The folks in Edgewater are being completely illogical. The town has put up tens of millions (but not the $100 million estimated value) to purchase the land through condemnation / Eminent Domain for Department of Public Works buildings.

In the process they're throwing away $12 million a year in tax revenue, which is not a small chunk of change as the city/county/school board tax revenue total $50 million.

Last edited by C.; Nov 8, 2017 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is great news.

@ CIA,

You probally know Edgewater a little better than I do with relations to the NIMBYS as I know you attend the Jersey City meetings. Do you feel that the NIMBYS will succeed in blocking this or is it a done deal?

The mayor seems to be highly against it. I just get the feeling this will wind up being downsized. I hope not as its a prime site, but sometimes the NIMBYS may have a victorious attempt.

And how they will win could very well be due to the delays. Even might I add delays caused by the city itself.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 12:55 AM

Chris I'm not as familiar. Just from what I've read online and in the NY Times article. I think it's all political bullshit from the pols and something will get built. But as of right now, they are recommending to seize the property via Eminent Domain. That's going to cost Edgewater tens of millions of dollars to get the land and millions in legal fees, even if they are successful.

They're taking is authorized for $25 million but developer says the lands are worth $100 million. Courts will decide who is right, but not after millions are wasted on lawyers, appraisers, and others.

There is no way a town would put themselves in that much debt just to spite a developer. It has to be for show, to get votes from NIMBYs or something. It's so much easier if they get the developer to reserve 30 or 40% of the land for a nice park and allow development on the remainder of the site.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:57 AM

Looks like there was a small mix-up in YIMBY. The site with the four skyscrapers is 115 River Road and is being developed by local hero Fred Daibes. Best part of all, this has already been approved!

615 River Road is a larger site down the street owned by a nonlocal developer.

http://615riverroadpartners.com/

A similar amount of units of units are planned at 615 River (~1800; 115 River is 1919). 615 River is the site the city is threatening to take via Eminent Domain.
I made a new thread about the real 615 River road development here.

Last edited by C.; Nov 9, 2017 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:07 AM

Request to update thread title:

EDGEWATER, NJ | 115 River road | 715 FT + 665 FT + 635 FT + 595 FT | ~70-60 FLOORS

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:46 PM

Yeah, this one is under some Chinese developers. No architect as of yet as they are looking at alternate proposals.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:20 PM

Excellent news. This will really bulk up the NJ side of the Hudson River skyline. Will look incredible from Manhattan.

IMO, River Rd. in Hudson and Bergen County needs light rail or some other mass transit. There is so much development planned.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:30 PM

^ The funny part is that you can’t build this tall on the parallel Manhattan side of the river.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ The funny part is that you can’t build this tall on the parallel Manhattan side of the river.
Yeah, that's true, and kinda absurd.

Though I wouldn't want to demolish the prewar midrises on the UWS for these types of towers. I'm glad these are landmarked areas.

Edgewater is mostly junky so they can build 100-floor towers for all I care. They aren't destroying good urban fabric or anything.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 10:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

^So many pieces of land have already had shittastic midrise and townhouse developments built on them over the past 10-15-20 years. Do you think the market could justify redevelopment of such recent complex's for denser high rises? I'd like to say yes, but I have a felling we'll be stuck with them for decades.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^So many pieces of land have already had shittastic midrise and townhouse developments built on them over the past 10-15-20 years. Do you think the market could justify redevelopment of such recent complex's for denser high rises? I'd like to say yes, but I have a felling we'll be stuck with them for decades.
If it's rental apartments with a single owner. Yes, I can definitely see that happen. The landlord won't renew leases and in the few years the property would be ready for redevelopment. If it's private condominiums, never in a million years.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 12:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Chris I'm not as familiar. Just from what I've read online and in the NY Times article. I think it's all political bullshit from the pols and something will get built. But as of right now, they are recommending to seize the property via Eminent Domain. That's going to cost Edgewater tens of millions of dollars to get the land and millions in legal fees, even if they are successful.
I agree. Its all political panhandling.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 12:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Excellent news. This will really bulk up the NJ side of the Hudson River skyline. Will look incredible from Manhattan.

IMO, River Rd. in Hudson and Bergen County needs light rail or some other mass transit. There is so much development planned.
That's the best part. Further making it a gold coast gleaming with towers. Both the Hudson on both side and the East River (with the towers on the coast of Queens and further development) is causing a nice aesthetic perk for the city. Rightfully so as waterfront land should not be wasted. Prime real estate!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 12:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can this be renamed to:

EDGEWATER, NJ | 115 River road | 715 FT + 665 FT + 635 FT + 595 FT | ~70-60 FLOORS

Two separate projects with the same address are visible in the thread list. Request was put in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

EPA to use more stringent standard to monitor noxious fumes from Edgewater Superfund site

*May 23rd, 2018

Quote:
EDGEWATER — Air will be monitored 24 hours a day at a more stringent standard in the apartment complexes surrounding the Quanta Superfund site, where residents have complained about noxious fumes for months, federal officials said Tuesday.

The news did little to quell the concerns and frustration of about 50 residents at a community meeting Tuesday who said the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency should have acted much more quickly to deal with high levels of naphthalene that have been emitted from the site almost every day for a year.

Excavation of the soil has caused the potentially toxic chemical to waft throughout the area during that time, according to data compiled by Honeywell, the international conglomerate responsible for remediating the site. EPA officials have stressed that there is no public health threat.

The agency also told residents Tuesday that work digging up contaminated soil was suspended last Friday, a few weeks earlier than originally scheduled, to prepare for the four-month demolition of a commercial building next to the site, at 115 River Road.

Demolition of 115 River Road will begin in mid-July and end in September to mid-October. Pollution had migrated from Quanta under the building. Work to entomb the pollution will begin soon thereafter and last for another year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals