HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
If you come back in a month it'll probably look more or less the same.
Right. It looks like they're at least a good month or two off from even being able to pour the concrete slab for the ground there, and usually that occurs many, many months before any steel is erected.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:28 AM

What in the hell are they doing down there, sleeping?

I agree. It seems that they have been playing around in that over-grown sandbox for quite some time, pushing dirt here and there like I used to do in my backyard when I was a child.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:00 AM

I was just wondering, is there supposed to be a new mall in the base of the new WTC, like the old one?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:36 AM

I think there is somekind of mall in the trans. hub...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 12:38 PM

well at least something is finally going up on site

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:00 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
What in the hell are they doing down there, sleeping?

I agree. It seems that they have been playing around in that over-grown sandbox for quite some time, pushing dirt here and there like I used to do in my backyard when I was a child.
They're on schedule. If you think its going slow now, don't come back for awhile because nothings much is going to change.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:05 PM
World Machine

You have to just stop with all the criticism. You have to give these guys credit. There doing work no one else wants to do. It takes time. Saying this construction is taking too long isn't going to make it any faster. Be thankful that what is going up is a reality, and a small memorial with a field around it isn't. When it's built it's built and thats that. Unless your down there in the cold everyday building this thing, you have nothing to say.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:10 AM
Born and raised

Whats taking this building so damn long, I haven't been to this thread in a month, and I still can't tell a dramatic difference, they really need to get a move on it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 7:14 AM
low-riding

I honestly believe they had alot more work to do below street level before raising those beams. I think they were forced into raising those beams prematurely just so that Pataki can have a photo op before the end fo the year and can leave with that accomplishment. As of the new year, he is out of office. And now i feel that the workers are trying to get the rest of their shit together.

But all seriously, who do i have to sleep with to get into that office on the 11th floor of 7wtc. all three architects in there together, with their whole team, and a 150 foot board of their ideas and renders and proposals. that is too tempting for me not to try a mission impossible style breakin.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 7:39 AM

Scruff, instead of sodoizing architects, I'll see if I'd be able to restore my Tishman shindig, and if I can, I'll see what I can do in terms of access. You won't even have to sleep with anyone for that.

Back on topic, concerning the "slow" progress - they're layinng the foundation of a 1776 foot tall building. Think they want to rush that?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 10:33 AM

do people on this thread only know about this tower, surely if you'd paid attention to the way EVERY BUILDING IN THE WORLD is built, you would realise that foundations and piling for a building of this size take AT LEAST a year, they havent been going that long, the steel beams currently on site are for show and have only been assembled almosty as a gimmick. Dont expect to see anything for a long time yet. The final design wasnt released that long ago, so no work could start until then dont expect miracles, its a building like any other.

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.. even if you win your still a retard"

(spot the deliberate mistake)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 1:32 PM
BANNED

I figured all that sweetness was just too good to be true. That this was all just a front!

That putting those few steel columns there was a makeshift ploy to make some of us even THINK that the steel was going up for real soon.

And yes Scruffy, Pataki only did that to make HIMSELF look good! Another thing for him to carry with him in the attempt to get his name in the pot for his bid to run for the White House. He sugar-coated this to fool many who have been anxiously awaiting steel to start rising for the tower!

It would seem very peculiar to put up just a few steel columns when knowing that we must wait yet another full year before we start to see the framework soar above street level. And yes, I was fooled by that also!

My guess is that of the forthcoming steel to be delivered, some of it will either be stored at Ground Zero, or in the case of the Twins, stored in a remote location and be delivered only as it's needed.

Silly me! To even start using more of the steel, the core HAS to be built and start rising first so that there is central support and anchorage for the outer columns as well as for the floor girders themselves that MUST be fastened to the core. Probably the reason behind waiting at least another year before the tower begins to really take shape.

Last edited by Daquan13; Nov 24, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:16 PM
`

So I guess its a year then.....damn.

Probably longer since nothing is going right with this thing

Last edited by Slugbelch; Jan 22, 2007 at 3:27 PM. Reason: deleted old news

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:31 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Another Thing , The Reason Why It Is Taken A Long Time Because,the Path Tracks Involved, No Other Building In The World Had The Internal Grid Of Subway Tracks And Train Tracks ...(path}, Like The W.t.c. Had , And Now The New W.t.c....notice I Just Cant Say Freedom Tower....# 1 World Trade, This Is A GOING To Take A While , But After The Hard Part Down Below ,it Will go Fast

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Silly me! To even start using more of the steel, the core HAS to be built and start rising first so that there is central support for the outer columns as well as for the girders themselves that MUST be fastened to the core. Probably the reason behind waiting at least another year before the tower begins to really take shape.
Dont they do things the opposite way in NY....I remember reading that the columns are supposed to rise before the core.....like BOFA for example.....but they never lied about how long its going to take.....theres a lot of pieces to fit together

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
do people on this thread only know about this tower, surely if you'd paid attention to the way EVERY BUILDING IN THE WORLD is built, you would realise that foundations and piling for a building of this size take AT LEAST a year
Thank you very much. This thread is in desperate need of more sane people..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 12:27 AM
Frigidus Maximus

^I think people are just strung out from years and years of waiting for something, anything, at the site. It IS embarrassing to take foreign friends there and have to explain why it's still an empty hole, after all these years...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 1:44 AM
BANNED

You know it!

And who do we all have to blame for that? Who's-Your-Daddy!!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFisher123 View Post
Dont they do things the opposite way in NY....I remember reading that the columns are supposed to rise before the core.....like BOFA for example.....but they never lied about how long its going to take.....theres a lot of pieces to fit together

It's possible that they could go that route, but I don't think that they're ready to spend that kind of money for extra steel to be put in.

They were already quibbling over every nickel & dime on how much it's gonna cost to rebuild Ground Zero. Especially the memorial.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 2:14 AM
low-riding

im pretty sure that a tower of this size will be built core first, steel behind and glass behind that in the vein of the Shanghai World Financial Center or whatever name that tower goes by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive