HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
PMC Property Group is planning a high rise on the Trader Joe’s parking lot at ~22nd and JFK
Right here? https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-75.1729947

Nice to hear! Can't imagine Trader Joe's is too happy, though. Generally, things are looking up on that stretch. The second retail spot in the Murano recently obtained a tenant after a solid 10 years (perhaps more) of vacancy.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

Nice to hear! Can't imagine Trader Joe's is too happy, though. Generally, things are looking up on that stretch. The second retail spot in the Murano recently obtained a tenant after a solid 10 years (perhaps more) of vacancy.

Maybe this will finally get Trader Joe's to do what has been needed for a while by opening a 2nd location in the city. Something on Spring Garden near NoLibs and Old City would be wise. Plenty of people who would go to it and lots of mill space with parking lots for a setup.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

I would think the base could include parking or maybe this (YJs) moves to the river development.

Also I hope whatever is done if anything has JFK facing activity

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Maybe this will finally get Trader Joe's to do what has been needed for a while by opening a 2nd location in the city. Something on Spring Garden near NoLibs and Old City would be wise. Plenty of people who would go to it and lots of mill space with parking lots for a setup.
maybe something over by the new rail park

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I would think the base could include parking or maybe this (YJs) moves to the river development.

Also I hope whatever is done if anything has JFK facing activity
Yes, maybe it will include some parking. 23rd and Arch is not that far from the current space but just seems much further for those of us who live in Rittenhouse...I would like Trader Joe's to stay right where it is.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
maybe something over by the new rail park
Maybe. I think that could potentially cannibalize sales in their existing store and not do much to expand sales. The majority of the wealth in the city is shifting/growing NE of Center City. Putting something closer to Front St between Old City and NoLibs would attract tons of people living in those areas, Fishtown, Kensington, etc. Today people living in those areas only have grocery options like ACME and IGA. Trader Joes would get a lot of business by shifting that direction.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:40 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
PMC Property Group is planning a high rise on the Trader Joe’s parking lot at ~22nd and JFK
Is that right?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Trader Joe’s is likely moving to the new Riverwalk development at the base of the first tower.

PMC will be redeveloping the ground floor of 2121 Market and building a 25+ story tower on the parking lot behind fronting JFK. Most likely apartments but maybe office component incorporated as well.

Old Posted Today, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Trader Joe’s is likely moving to the new Riverwalk development at the base of the first tower.

PMC will be redeveloping the ground floor of 2121 Market and building a 25+ story tower on the parking lot behind fronting JFK. Most likely apartments but maybe office component incorporated as well.
Hmm...is it going to be part of/adjoined to the existing building like Mandeville Place was supposed to be with the pre-existing Rosenbluth Building? I hope they get some good retail fronting Market!

Old Posted Today, 1:22 AM

Quote:

25 stories could be anywhere between 300 and 400 ft! That's awesome for that lot!

Old Posted Today, 7:12 AM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Does it include an expansion of the TJ's? Pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Today, 12:24 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Does it include an expansion of the TJ's? Pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes
I'm sure they're still doing crazy good business, but you have to imagine they're going to want to compete better with the new Whole Foods that's nearby...

Old Posted Today, 1:41 PM
Midrise

The Murano finally has a tenant coming to their corner commercial space! It only took a decade since the building's 2008 completion for Metro Commercial to unfurl the TENANT OBTAINED signs at 21st & Market.

Anyone know who is taking the space?

Old Posted Today, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I can't imagine a architect, developer, or corporation in this country sitting down to talk about a new building and the proposed height of said building being in the top 50 concerns for any of those players. Height is a byproduct of the needs of the client(s), and to a lesser degree the design the architect comes up with. (its doubtful that Comcast asked Lord Foster for a lantern to top off their next project) As I hope you realize that height costs money, and great height costs great amounts of money. I'm sortof just guessing here, but here in Philly where land costs in the CBD aren't a driving force (we still have lots and lots of surface parking lots just waiting to be turned into something taller) I would say you could easily build 4 400'ers for less money then 1 1200' building. Can you imagine what the new Comcast building might have looked like if Four Seasons wasn't interested in parking their hotel on top of what Comcast's NEEDS were. I've got to believe that the hotels interest, and willingness to be without a building for a number of years, was the prime factor that lead to the final design, including the height.
You and me both; but its nice to dream. Its really up to what the companies decide along with the architects; everything is balanced and justified. Either way its fun to speculate.

Old Posted Today, 1:50 PM

Skyscraper at Trader Joe's! Always good news to hear of new projects; amazing. JFK may get a canyon affect after a while.

Old Posted Today, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Maybe. I think that could potentially cannibalize sales in their existing store and not do much to expand sales.
I highly doubt it. TJs should worry more about lost sales than cannibalized sales. How many people - who would otherwise shop there - don't b/c it's so ridiculously crowded and the lines are too long? If you have little ones, it's impossible to shop there with a stroller. TJs can absolutely support a larger store in the western CC and still operate a profitable second location.

Old Posted Today, 2:15 PM

Let's hope PMC has turned the corner in new building design/budget from the 1900 Arch days. The Riverwalk buildings and Aramark HQ's building are hopefully indicators that whatever they build in the TJ's parking lot will be decent (those checkered panels on 1900 Arch make me ill).

Old Posted Today, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I'm sure they're still doing crazy good business, but you have to imagine they're going to want to compete better with the new Whole Foods that's nearby...
On weekends, they have bouncers at the door (a line 30 deep to get into the store) and multiple parking lot attendants to manage the traffic in and out. Crazy good is an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The Murano finally has a tenant coming to their corner commercial space! It only took a decade since the building's 2008 completion for Metro Commercial to unfurl the TENANT OBTAINED signs at 21st & Market.

Anyone know who is taking the space?
I've always thought that it would be a perfect spot for a Tesla Display room.

Old Posted Today, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Let's hope PMC has turned the corner in new building design/budget from the 1900 Arch days. The Riverwalk buildings and Aramark HQ's building are hopefully indicators that whatever they build in the TJ's parking lot will be decent (those checkered panels on 1900 Arch make me ill).
PMC's design for Riverwalk, the actual buildings, are a step up from their past sins, but just a small step. If they are building apartments my guess is they have decided as long as the exterior isn't gross, flat out ugly, that spending cash for a better looking building doesn't give them a quick pay back. So much for having a long term civic minded attitude where rate of return isn't the only driving factor.

But, they do keep building, which shows continued faith in the marketplace. Good for them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations