HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:26 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Is that supposed to be good or bad about the kitchen at Tapa The World?
Let's just say that I much prefer to go to Aioli over Tapa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Joey B's used to be a "luxury" sports bar. The owner had to give up the restaurant because he opened up another business near Barstow, CAlif. Under regulations of the Dept of Rehabilitation's Business Enterprises Program, he (owner was legally blind, I believe) can only operate ONE permanent business site at a time. So he gave up Joey B's. I did not know that the new place was already up and running nor did I know that it was another sports bar. Gotta go check it out. Really only went to Joey B's during the Kings heydeys a couple of years ago.
Yeah - the old owner is blind. I didn't know about those regs though. I just thought the bar was changing because no one ever went there...

I think the wine bar at 16th and L should've opened by now - anyone gone yet? They have benches outside now and the interior is pretty nice, with wood paneling along the back wall going all the way up to 20 ft. ceilings...and the lighting fixtures were pretty modern too. Any word?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 5:12 PM

This sounds pretty cool. Like "Scary Movie" for Broadway musicals.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 7:28 PM
NIMBY Hater

I wish someone would do a thread like this for Salt Lake. I'm dying to find good places to eat and hang out.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 9:37 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I wish someone would do a thread like this for Salt Lake. I'm dying to find good places to eat and hang out.

I hear Denver or Colorado Springs has some good eats....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 5:22 PM
NIMBY Hater

Any place is better than SLC, as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
I think the wine bar at 16th and L should've opened by now - anyone gone yet? They have benches outside now and the interior is pretty nice, with wood paneling along the back wall going all the way up to 20 ft. ceilings...and the lighting fixtures were pretty modern too. Any word?
I drove by there last night and saw someone at the cash registar, but no one else, so I'm not sure if they are open or not. They don't have any signage and it's really tucked away in that small corner, so if they are open, it's really hard for people to tell. I think I'm going to have do a reconnaissance to find out what is going on

The one I am looking more foward to though is L Wine Lounge at the 18th and L project.
http://www.lwinelounge.com/index.html

The chefs have had stints at The Kitchen, so I'm hoping they picked up a thing or two from Selland.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 9:02 PM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Any place is better than SLC, as far as I can tell.
You just need to get up to Park City.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:07 PM
Kodachrome

A couple of 'firsts'
Pair's wine bar-restaurant sets some precedents
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Last Updated 12:04 am PST Wednesday, February 7, 2007

There are plenty of "firsts" at L Wine Lounge and Urban Kitchen, soon to open in midtown.

It's the first entrepreneurial venture for husband-and-wife partners Marcus and Kolea Marquez, after years of working for other restaurateurs. It's the first local restaurant designed by Kristi Daggett, whose previous projects have been in L.A. It features furniture and a huge wine vault designed by Sacramentan William Earle, who's done work for celebs such as Courteney Cox and Macy Gray but never a restaurant.

Then there's the "first" connected with the graphics now covering the windows as workers race to finish in time for a mid-March opening. Most developers -- the unimaginative ones -- cover windows with brown construction paper or newspaper during the construction phase. More inventive ones use graphics that announce a business is "coming soon."

The folks at L Wine -- whose menu will feature 75 vintages and 15 light dinner plates -- went a step further and personalized their windows.

Each of the project's key movers -- the Marquezes, executive chef Ame Harrington and wine director Jonathon Klonecke -- is pictured sipping wine while sitting on lime-green Italian-made couches that will grace the wine bar's lounge area.

It's a new kind of promotional technique, at least in Sacramento, says wine bar investor Andrea Lepore, who modestly acknowledges it was her idea to use life-size portraits of the project's big shots.

"I thought since they're all young and good looking, we didn't need to hire models," she says.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:18 AM

I drove by McCormick & Schmick's today, they open to the public on the 19th.

Looking at the menu, they have a $1.95 happy hour food menu with a ton of good stuff..sweet!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 7:11 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I drove by McCormick & Schmick's today, they open to the public on the 19th.

Looking at the menu, they have a $1.95 happy hour food menu with a ton of good stuff..sweet!!
FWIW - McCormicks is having a private reception on Sat the 17th. from 5:30 to 8:30pm. You need to call in by the 12th and have a flyer to get in - invite is for 2 people.

Quickly checked out a few Second Sat places tonight - Old Soul coffee was really busy. They officially have their retail license now - not sure how long they've had it though it sounds recent. Also stopped by Naked Coffee last night and had an Americano. It was good enough that I also bought a half pound of their Guatemalan beans - they smell very good, looking forward to trying them on Monday morning. The guy behind the counter was encouraging people to stop on by their roastery at Broadway and 36th. Said if you stop in and they're around, they'll give a free cup of coffee - I might just have to check it out and see...look a picture of a woman for the entrance. Naked? I'm not sure.

Also, I'm moving to 1801 L next month - place seems a bit nicer than St. Anton here and the people were pretty cool. Met a guy who used to be the head of S.A.C.T.O. (Sac Trade Org) and a group of Germans who just moved here to work for SunTech (a sub of Conergy - a German alternative energy company) and their new HQs are in downtown Sac. They had some pretty interesting things to say about Bio, Solar, and Wind power technologies that they are developing here. I think their company may have been in the Biz Journal recently, but I'm not quite sure about that though.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 11, 2007 at 7:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
FWIW - McCormicks is having a private reception on Sat the 17th. from 5:30 to 8:30pm. You need to call in by the 12th and have a flyer to get in - invite is for 2 people.
Do you have the phone number to call and would you share it?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 6:37 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Do you have the phone number to call and would you share it?
You and Sugit have PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 1:35 AM
Got Good Grub?

I was able to get 3 extra invites (2 ppl each) if anyone would like one.

Update: All invites are now spoken for - Brandon12, Costa, and Costa's friends are the winners.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; Feb 12, 2007 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 2:59 AM

Looks like an Irish Pub has signed a lease for 4000 sqaure feet at the Firestone building. They are supposed to breakgound next month on the project.

California Pizza Kitchen has signed a lease along with Fleming Steakhouse. Roy's might round out the building.

While I'm not all that excited about the resturants, a good new Irish Bar is always sounds good to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:05 AM

I know I'll get shot down in this forum for saying so, but I think CPK is a coup of sorts. Those places really pack them in and might attract young families to come downtown for dinner that haven't yet.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:14 AM

Is the Firestone Bldg the one at the corner of 16th and L?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:15 AM

Yeah, 16th and L. There is also another retail development going up across the street on that surface parking lot.

http://www.cordanoco.com/project_pdfs/firestone4.pdf

B - I admit, they do turn out some tasty pizzas. You know me and chain restaurants though...

You are right though, I bet it does bring out a lot of families

Hopefully the bar keeps with the true Irish sprit.... pub atmosphere, lots of fun, soccer on every TV, lot of good beers on tap...and some irish whiskey!

Last edited by sugit; Feb 12, 2007 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:25 AM

and brandon12 singing irish folk songs topless on the bar....

shiver

Last edited by sugit; Feb 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:33 AM

per the terms of my parole, I'm no longer permitted to take my shirt off in any Irish pub. At least until 2009. Then all bets are off again.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:39 AM

The bar isn't supposed to open until May 2008, so we'll say July after delays.
That's only 6 month until 2009...Sacramento watch out...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area